Do I do it or not?

Ok so here's my story: I'm 19 years old, and I plan on beginning my first feature film very shortly. I'm not expecting greatness to come of it; it's more of a story that I'm desperate to make into a film, and it'll be good experience.

Once that's completed some time this year, I'd like to move into the industry full time. I currently work a part time job that's entirely unrelated to film. I do it just to earn money to buy equipment, props, costumes, etc.

However, I'm desperate to move to America - not only does it have a large film industry (obviously!), but it's just a personal goal of mine to have lived in the States for some time. Basically, I was wondering if anyone had any advice on the matter - should I try to get into the industry over here before going to America, or do I just go to America and take the risk and try to find a job/film work there? The type of job I'm looking for is preferably production based, although I understand the need to start from the bottom sometimes so even an office runner would be a good start, just so long as I'm in the industry.

Like I said, I'm only 19. I have a lot of years ahead of me yet but I don't know what path to take. Any advice is appreciated :)

Thanks!

Another thing I heard from some director or actor don't remember is that when you come to US film stage,they can ask sooo what did u do in UK? Why do you come here? It might not look too good.

I would advice to get at least some experience in UK before moving into US,especially if it is just go to LA figure stuff out idea. One of my mates made several videos in UK and just got interest from LA prod companies through social media,but he had a showreel and several pieces of work to show.

BTW who do you want to be? Director? Or some crew member?

Ok so here's my story: I'm 19 years old, and I plan on beginning my first feature film very shortly. I'm not expecting greatness to come of it; it's more of a story that I'm desperate to make into a film, and it'll be good experience.

Once that's completed some time this year, I'd like to move into the industry full time. I currently work a part time job that's entirely unrelated to film. I do it just to earn money to buy equipment, props, costumes, etc.

However, I'm desperate to move to America - not only does it have a large film industry (obviously!), but it's just a personal goal of mine to have lived in the States for some time. Basically, I was wondering if anyone had any advice on the matter - should I try to get into the industry over here before going to America, or do I just go to America and take the risk and try to find a job/film work there? The type of job I'm looking for is preferably production based, although I understand the need to start from the bottom sometimes so even an office runner would be a good start, just so long as I'm in the industry.

Like I said, I'm only 19. I have a lot of years ahead of me yet but I don't know what path to take. Any advice is appreciated :)

Thanks!

It's actually quite difficult to get a work visa in the US. I know. I used to have one.

Your employer has to file documents with the US govt, saying that you are so special, that no other American who responded to their ads in the paper is as qualified as you. They literally have to file paperwork with evidence of ads in the paper. This is going to be quite difficult to accomplish if your position is getting coffee or equivalent.

My advice is, apply to US colleges and universities, as a student. Then get summer jobs running around with Coffee, and make friends that way. Then they will hire you once you get out of college, and they will file those documents for you, saying you're really, really special, and they can't do without you.

:)

Edit: Make your movie in the UK. I'd love to see another "Lock stock and two smoking barrells."
Edit II: Or become an actor. For actors and artists, "qualification" does not mean the same thing as it does in other professions. Fame/prestige meets the requirements. You can even become an American citizen, if you have acclaim in your field of "art."

Last edited:
The type of job I'm looking for is preferably production based, although I understand the need to start from the bottom sometimes so even an office runner would be a good start, just so long as I'm in the industry.
Even though you're only 19 you know that right now, in the States
there are 200,000 people who are actively looking for work in the
industry. Most in LA and NY but in all US cities where there is a film
industry. People get jobs in the industry all the time so you could,
too. Here in L.A. the competition for office runner is crazy fierce with
students from USC, UCLA and AFI getting first dibs for non-paid
internships. My agent recently posted a listing for a paid office runner
(minimum wage) and got overrun with more than 8,000 emails and
2,500 delivered resumes. They flooded in for three months - long
after the notice was pulled and long after the position was filled by a
USC student with a degree and family connections to the agency.

My advice is to look into the work visa situation.

You mention making your first feature. Many UK directors have made
a "splash" with their features and hit LA running. Hitting the States
with one feature film that is not great (you said you aren't expecting
greatness) is not going to help you at all. An excellent first feature
that shows at one of the top five festivals may help.

FantasyFilmProductions quote,

Why move to the US at all? Some of my favourite movies are from the UK. Stay in the UK, make films there.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

MAY be, his style of interest in film making is American.
I AM SKIT AND COMEDY WRITER. my genre is comedy . style is American ..
You know , those american comedy skit .

american style (stupid/ ill - intellectual as most of them call ) might not get recognized or work in other parts of the world.

Still, America got Steven Spielberg and James Cameroon , who raised starting from doing short movies.
L.A IS SAID TO BE VERSATILE IN ALL WAY.

i liked harry potter and narnia too. especially hobitton. It's heaven on earth. Nice land

Getting a work visa for the US is incredibly difficult unless you have an active job offer.

There are some programs that will allow recent university graduates undertake a 12 month working holiday in the US, but you'd then need to find permanent employment to be able to stay there.

You could apply to a school, but that's a pretty expensive way to do it.

Given that production work is generally more freelance based, rather than permanent, and that there's already thousands of able crew already in the US, it becomes very, very difficult to be able to work there.

There are a couple of ways to do it, but you need to be a lot further down the track in your career.

For now, my suggestion would be to stay in the UK. Make your film there. Get on productions there. UK seems to have a relatively healthy film industry.
As directorik says:

Many UK directors have made
a "splash" with their features and hit LA running. Hitting the States
with one feature film that is not great (you said you aren't expecting
greatness) is not going to help you at all. An excellent first feature
that shows at one of the top five festivals may help.

Back