Disney has bought the Indiana Jones franchise.

One thing I would like to see before we no longer have Harrison Ford with us is for them to do some animated Indiana Jones films using the same technology as TinTin and the Secret of the Unicorn, which I think is a brilliant movie and it seems like it gave Spielberg a way to tap into his younger director self again.

Anyway, I am happy for more Indiana Jones movies. But I think in order to be safe they need to make the movies prequels to Crystal Skull, that way there's no need to try to get Shia back or recast the role of Indy's son, there's potential to have some characters from the earlier movies who weren't accounted for in Crystal Skull to be involved and it would eliminate the need to incorporate Indy's marriage to Marion - basically making Crystal Skull the last Indy film chronologically.

There's been a lot of discussion of this on the IMDB boards.

Disney has stated that they don't have any immediate plans to do anything with the Indy franchise. They got the rights to Indy when they bought Lucasfilm last year. They wanted to get the Star Wars movies going (including the two spin-offs) because that's the bigger cash cow. But they're unsure if they want to move forward with any new Indy movies since there are too many other people invloved (e.g. Spielberg and Harrison Ford) that have a stake in whether or not the film could be made.

I think they're going to wait to see what kind of success they have with the Star Wars films (as if there's any doubt that it'll be huge...) and if Ford has any desire to continue with the Indy role. I think once he decides he's too old, that's when Disney will move forward with recasting the role with a younger actor...

But the animated idea does sound cool...

Oops. I just read what you were talking about, Mogul. Disney got distribution rights from Paramount.

I guess this WILL make a difference... I still believe that Spielberg and Ford will have a say, but at least Lucas won't be in the way now...

But I think in order to be safe they need to make the movies prequels to Crystal Skull, that way there's no need to try to get Shia back or recast the role of Indy's son, there's potential to have some characters from the earlier movies who weren't accounted for in Crystal Skull

Short round!

^Temple of Doom is actually my favourite of the quadrilogy and I think the character of Short Round is cool so yeah I'd like to see what happened to him - I would be surprised if he didn't follow in Indy's footsteps. Imagine him older and going on adventures using his martial arts skills kinda like Kung Fu except he goes to exotic locations looking for "fortune and glory" and on one of these journeys who does he bump into!

Back