Direct to DVD: A result of social media popularity too?

Actors and Direct to DVD: A result of social media popularity too?

In today's age where social media sites have become a tool used by celebrities for self promotion and to interact with their fans (either through themselves or an assistant), and you have things and people that are "trending", how you have many people liking a certain celebrity's page or profile - is all this now taken into account along with their bankability and box office draw when an actor is attached to projects that ultimately go straight to dvd?

Last edited:
To answer to:
Direct to DVD: a RESULT of social media popularity too?

No.
Direct to DVD existed before social media existed in the way you describe them, so it can't be a result ;)

However: social media can help market movies. Even when they go direct to DVD.
Actually: without theatrical release but with a large fanbase you could maybe even make a profit in pre-orders alone...

I think what you're asking is whether or not a project can be upgraded from Direct to DVD to a potential theatrical release depending on whether or not the people involved have a social network large enough to get people to the theaters, correct?

I'd say no - I'd think that the social networking ability of a person is taken into account before the project goes underway, not after. I'm sure it's considered, perhaps even contracted, but I think it happens in the pre-production phase, which is where the release format is determined as well.

Back