• Popcorn Points determine how popular a video is. You can click the popcorn bucket or simply react (Like, Love, etc.) and it will register a vote.

Dino Thunder! - A Brickfilm Short

The last time I did a brick film, I was in 8th grade and shot it on VHS. A lot has changed since then. The college where I teach continuing ed classes on YouTube and video editing asked me if I wanted to teach a camp for kids this summer and the first thing that popped into my head was to do brick films. Since it's been so long that I've played with stop motion, I figured I should figure out the workflow. I settled on Eagle Animation as the software. It's free, simple and works with webcams. Perfect for the camp!

I tethered my iPhone to my MacBook Air via bluetooth and used that as my webcam. I storyboarded the the short film, shot it in about two hours, and cut in Resolve. Sound effects are from freesound.org. Originally I was doing a real walk cycle and all that, but it was taking so much time. I wanted to see if there was another way that would work for the kids and came up the hopping.

Upvote 3
That hopping instead of walking really works - better than an actual walk cycle in this case, I think! And, of course, it will be a lot easier for the kids. Sounds like a great project; they're going to love it.

When I taught elementary school I actually did claymation with a grade 2 class (I know, right? Sucker for punishment). We did extremely short clips (maybe 3 or 4 seconds) shot with a digital camera; they loved it, but it certainly wasn't Annecy quality, lol. My fav, though, was a tornado approaching a person who just basically flew out of the frame.🤣

That hopping instead of walking really works - better than an actual walk cycle in this case, I think! And, of course, it will be a lot easier for the kids. Sounds like a great project; they're going to love it.

When I taught elementary school I actually did claymation with a grade 2 class (I know, right? Sucker for punishment). We did extremely short clips (maybe 3 or 4 seconds) shot with a digital camera; they loved it, but it certainly wasn't Annecy quality, lol. My fav, though, was a tornado approaching a person who just basically flew out of the frame.🤣
Thanks. I got the hopping idea from the way my sister used to play with her Barbies. She always made them bounce when they "talked" lol. I think claymation would be great fun too, but maybe too messy for doing in a computer lab with carpets? My wife actually picked me up some modeling clay to mess with, so I'll try one of those next. And that tornado video sounds epic lol!

Back