Crafty

Hi Guys,

I am a new member and have been appointed as crafty for a featured film around my area.

It's my first gig as a key person and I'm pretty anxious to make sure that everything goes well.

As I'm from Asia and the crews are all from United States, hence I would like to have a few pointers
on what to feed the crews with...

Cheers!

Welcome to indietalk.

Just to be clear; are you doing craft services or are you catering? Or both?

Craft Services: fruit, vegetable platter, chips, coffee, teabags, juices, water,
standard sodas, muffins/pastries in the morning, cookies afternoon, cheeses,
spreads, crackers, flatbreads, nuts and dried fruits, Gatorade. And the most
important; a tub of Red Vines.

Craft Services: fruit, vegetable platter, chips, coffee, teabags, juices, water,
standard sodas, muffins/pastries in the morning, cookies afternoon, cheeses,
spreads, crackers, flatbreads, nuts and dried fruits, Gatorade. And the most
important; a tub of Red Vines.

I'd add hard-boiled eggs for the morning.

Some sweet stuff is okay, but the name of the game is sustainable nutrition: fiber, protein... things that will keep the crew energized, avoid sugar/carb crashes, and keep folks from getting hangry between meals. I would also add hummus and good, fresh salsa. Also, granola bars.

avoid sugar/carb crashes,

Noooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I've got to have my M&Ms!!!

image-130181.jpg

The fruit could/should be already be cut up. I would also add - even if some disagree - chips and dips.

P-fruittop.jpg
chips-dips-platter.jpg

Nuts are also good.

mixed-nuts-large.jpg

'Rik already mentioned it, but WATER, lots and lots of water.

0006827493471_A

Don't forget plenty of paper towels, napkins, cups w/tops, plates & bowls, knives/forks/spoons, etc.

I don't know how "big" your shoot is, but you may also want to find out is anyone important wants anything special, and/or if anyone has any serious allergies. Keep cold things cold, hot things hot, keep it neat & clean and, if you can, make it "pretty."

Some sweet stuff is okay, but the name of the game is sustainable nutrition: fiber, protein... things that will keep the crew energized, avoid sugar/carb crashes,
I've always hated a crafty who is concerned about my health.
Fine to offer many choices, but it always bothers me when
I'm craving something sweet and crafty tells me sugar will
cause me to crash.

mindcircus, you're doing all the catering, too? Do you have
a truck and staff or are you buying two meals a day for 18
days? I see you're in "Asia" I suspect the food and crafty will
be different than here in the states. where in Asia are you?

Noooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I've got to have my M&Ms!!!

HA! Of course, of course.

You misread me. I didn't say "no sweets" at all! I have been on shoots where the crafty table was nothing but chips, cookies, and candy. No sustainable nutrition. That leads to a sugar and carb load that crashes in an hour and leaves crew members tired, cranky, and hungry. That's not to say that there shouldn't be chocolate (or red vines). I have a voracious sweet tooth, and I give into it far too often, but I also love to have munchies on hand that will stick with me.

Rik had mentioned nuts, as you did, but you also bring up a really good point with allergies. Nut allergies are more and more common these days, and the severety can be everything from "cannot ingest" to "cannot touch/be in the same room as" to "cannot touch someone else who has eaten them in the last 48 hours." Know your crew and plan accordingly.

If you have no nut allergies, a great midday snack (even if this sounds kindergarten-ish) is ants on a log: celery sticks with peanut butter, topped with raisins. Or even better, red ants on a log: same thing, but with craisins.

The hummus and salsa I mentioned are great to have as dips. Hummus provides protein, and good, fresh salsa is loaded with nutrients (the canned, processed stuff, not so much). Ranch and French onion dips are okay, but are empty calories.

And yes, the more water, the better.

I've always hated a crafty who is concerned about my health.
Fine to offer many choices, but it always bothers me when
I'm craving something sweet and crafty tells me sugar will
cause me to crash.

Again, I have been misinterpreted.

I'm speaking as a crew member regarding what I prefer to see on the table. This isn't about the crafty provider lecturing crew members on what to eat and not to eat. It isn't about eliminating junk food.

Simply, it's best to provide the full array of everything from sweets to healthful offerings, but I have been on too many sets and locations where there were no healthful offerings. I get hangry on shoots when there isn't ample nutrition, and driving the crew well into meal penalty is a great way to try my patience. Chips, soda, and candy won't help, but if I can get my hands on something a little more sustainable, I can temper the attitude until meal time.

Back