• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Correct lens for shooting a live band?

Hi Guys,

i have been asked to film a few live bands in a music venue on friday night...

I currently have a 600d with 18-55 kit lens which goes down to 3.5 aperture and a 55-250mm lens which goes to 4 aperture...

i dont think these will cope with the low light conditions.... so has anyone got a suggestion for a nice lens i could hire?

A few things to consider... How big is the venue, how far away will you be and will you be on a tripod or handheld?

If far away on a tripod, probably a 70-200mm 2.8, if on a handheld and closer a 24-70 2.8 and if it's really, really dark then a collections of faster primes in a bag around your shoulder ready to quick swap is probably best.

The venue is 1,000 capacity and i should be in the press pit with my camera....

i was tempted to get the canon 50mm 1.8, but im not sure if i will need the flexibility of a zoom lens for extra close up etc. and would a 50mm be wide enough from the press pit looking up at the stage?

Last edited:
Can you rent? The 50 1.8 is not a great lens. I know it's only $100, but that's $100 better spent elsewhere. You should be able to rent a few lenses for $20-40 USD a piece.

And yes, a zoom will probably be a much better choice if you're going with a single lens.

Back