• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Cold weather camera

OK this one I haven't seen. I am in talks with a guy to go to Antarctica to film him climbing Vinson Mastiff (16,005ft) and then hiking the last 60 miles to the South Pole. It may or may not happen. I am trying to figure out my camera options. I use two Canon HF 10's for my adventure race films.I have used them in the cold and they were OK except sometimes the auto focus wouldn't work. I also have a bunch of Contours to use. They should be OK. I know all the condensation and battery issues and can make that work.
What I am thinking might also work is to rent a Nikon body. I have several old manual focus lens. Any recommendations on what body to use?
Thanks all.

A pro level, weather sealed DSLR should do pretty good. I've seen pictures of guys with their 7D's half buried in snow snapping away. I haven't put mine through the cold weather ringer, but that's what they say haha.

I think with Canon that most of the L series lenses are weather sealed too. It's not just cold you're keeping out but moisture.

Sounds like a cool gig though! Crazy adventure :)

Back