• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Cameras/rigs for POV shoot?

I'm researching cameras and rigs for a POV shoot, any ideas or recommendations?

I've obviously looked at the GoPro Hero 3, but the low light performance is terrible. A real key thing for me is strong low light performance. I will be hiring (either kit or DP with kit) so I can be a bit more flexible.

Another consideration is the need for it to be fairly 'mobile', something close to DSLR size so I'm ruling out anything RED or bigger. For most of the scenes, the actor will wear a rig/harness with the camera mounted centrally.

So, I've narrowed it down to the Blackmagic Design 4K Production camera (if it ever gets released!), the Blackmagic Design Cinema Camera (some excellent results from the footage and quite compact) or a 5d Mk3.

Any other cameras I should look at. Most important factor is strong low light performance.

Any links to POV rigs would be a bonus. Thanks.

Blackmagic Pocket Cam. Small size, light and easy enough to mount.

The Production or Cinema cam are way too big and heavy. You might get away with a 5DmkIII but the Pocket Cam will give you a better image, and you can mount something like Zeiss Super 16 Superspeeds MkI which are super small and light and give a really nice image.

Blackmagic Pocket Cam. Small size, light and easy enough to mount.

The Production or Cinema cam are way too big and heavy. You might get away with a 5DmkIII but the Pocket Cam will give you a better image, and you can mount something like Zeiss Super 16 Superspeeds MkI which are super small and light and give a really nice image.

I like the idea of the pocket cam, but will certainly need to wait til release for more tests. I wouldn't want to compromise on quality, so if the pocket cam is vastly inferior to the production camera's image quality then I would try and find a way around it - on paper it is very similar. I've held a BMCC and although it packs a bit of weight, it's size and form aren't bad for this.

One of the links through the other reply in this thread shows a Panavision made helmet rig for a 5d/DSLR which looks interesting.

But the pocket camera is a good shout and I'll wait and see what that brings.

I like the idea of the pocket cam, but will certainly need to wait til release for more tests. I wouldn't want to compromise on quality, so if the pocket cam is vastly inferior to the production camera's image quality then I would try and find a way around it - on paper it is very similar. I've held a BMCC and although it packs a bit of weight, it's size and form aren't bad for this.

One of the links through the other reply in this thread shows a Panavision made helmet rig for a 5d/DSLR which looks interesting.

But the pocket camera is a good shout and I'll wait and see what that brings.

The Pocket Cam is going to give you images 10x better than the 5D, regardless of the sensor size.
From what it seems, the Pocket Cam is going to give HD-size images of the same quality of the BMCC. Brawley has some footage up on his blog/vimeo.

Back