• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Better to film at night or do light to night? [need help]

Better to film at night or do day to night? [need help]

Hey there,

I'm making a short film but it requires 2 scenes in the dark, one in a street and one in a field. Now my question is, how should I go about filming this? Should I film it at night? or should I film it during the day and then do a day to night technique?

Thanks in advance,
tommay

Last edited:
Hey there,

I'm making a short film but it requires 2 scenes in the dark, one in a street and one in a field. Now my question is, how should I go about filming this? Should I film it at night? or should I film it during the day and then do a day to night technique? I'll be filming on a Canon eos 550D and I do have a 120 LED light panel as well as a Canon F1.8 50mm prime lens. So with my setup which option do you think would look the best?

Thanks in advance,
tommay

Test both? Shoot a scene at night where you want to shoot, shoot the same scene in the day and do day to night correction. No one can tell you which is best since it is your film and you know the look you are going for with it.

I agree, do a few tests first up, it wouldn't take too much time. See if you can pull off a digital night time (which does need to be properly set up, obviously not showing the sun, or harsh shadows). Film just after dusk, apply a few basic colour corrections and see what yo can get. Depending on your lighting equipment you could probably Fake it pretty well, or just film at night anyway. What kind of aperture does your camera have? Make sure that it does not look grainy!

Back