Best place to hire actors/actresses?

Craigslist was an absolute disaster and I figured it would since you get the attention of a lot of desperate actors/actresses that are either too desperate to read the requirements I have listed for each role, or just so desperate they apply to each post they see regarding video production.

I specifically asked for 6 thin Caucasian males in their mid 30's, video portfolio work attached in email, and resume and 90% of them just sent me headshots (nothing else), some of them were women (Why? I don't know, I just asked for men), and instead of getting what I specifically asked for, I got black men, Latino men, fat men, all applying for the roles and yeah............... It was a disaster.

So I'm wondering if there are any websites where you can hire actors/actresses with headshots already on their profiles so you can't go through all the drama of alerting your community with "HEY HEY I'M MAKING A FILM!"

Do you have any suggestions on sites to hire actors/actresses?

Last edited:
Not at all unusual. Even casting directors get dozens - even
hundreds - of submissions that are not what was specifically
asked for. This is why a CD is really helpful - they go through
all the submissions and only present the proper choices to the
director. I know you can't afford a CD so you have to be the
CD and you have to sort through all the poor submissions in
order to get to the ones that you actually need.

There are hundreds of casting sites. One of the problems is
finding actors in your area. You will still have to wade through
many actors who do not meet your needs but you will now find
actors who DO but live 500 miles away.

I use a site called Casting Call Pro. It allows you to search for things like build, hair colour etc. You can also post ads on there and build a shortlist of actors.

I do believe there's another one called spotlight too?

Craigslist was an absolute disaster ............... It was a disaster.

On the other hand, I cast an entire feature film from craigslist -- most unpaid. The film has been accepted in festivals, won awards and is available to purchase.

I don't think the problem is craigslist. It's something else.

how did you figure out who was reliable before production ?

Their showing up on time to the interview/audition and promptly returning your phone calls is your first screening test. Anyone late, during initial process will certainly be late during your production. Don't use these people.

When you're low budget or not paying actors, you pretty much have to work from a fairly sizable "pool" of actors you've pre-screened and promised a role in the film but not specifying exactly what. When it comes to the day prior to shooting for whatever scene you need someone in, you'll select from that pool. If you kept your mouth shut, the others won't know they didn't make the cut and they'll still be available for another scenes/roles in the film.

Toward the end you can shoot "background" shots with those who didn't make it in any part of your film and maybe throw in a fake speaking line that you'll never use in the actual movie. This way your promise isn't broken.

It goes without saying to arrange of your shots so that the ones by a no-pay actor is done in a day. If you run across a true jewel, you can expand her role if you're quickly able to rewrite your script. Working with the limitations of craigslist is the way to go. Keep a bunch of pans on all burners on the stove.

Good luck.

Last edited:
Back