• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Audio post production advice needed

I'm in the process of editing our first feature.

It was shot entirely in one location: our apartment.

We used an Audio Technica AT4053b plugged into a Sound Devices MM1 pre-amp, line linked to a Tascam DR40 (gain set to zero). We always tried to place the mic within 3 feet of the talent, pointing at their throat.

An audio issue was that the primary talent (eg 57 to 1.12) was playing a depressed person so often spoke with a low voice. I used a preamp (MM1) gain of 54 on her (the MM1 only goes to 66). Even at 54 gain her vocals were only hitting -30db or so on the Tascam, not -12. I guess that was my first mistake, I should have increased the preamp gain even further.

The other two voices are voice over. One is the narrator (eg 0 secs to 58 secs), the other the interviewer (eg 1.15 to 1.17). The narrator regularly hit around -12db. The interviewer -15 to -18.

Live sound monitoring was done using Sony MDR-7506 headphones.

For the sample WAV go to:

http://reelauthors.com/sample.wav
Do a right click and select Save Video As --> then save the WAV file and play/view on your sound editor

Or you can download the sample via rapidgator (free, no account needed)
http://rg.to/file/27d6dbd68388a39a9f277c4805b33838/sample-with-issues.wav.html

When I play the movie on my home TV, the narrator and interviewer can be heard easily but to hear the main talent (the depressed person), I need to max out my TV's volume (a new Panasonic widescreen).

You can also hear the occasional skytrain coming into the station 500 meters or so from our apartment - eg 1.28 to 1.37. Since we were shooting a pseudo-documentary we thought that would be okay as it adds some realism. That may well have been a bad call. We can re-shoot those scenes if need be if the skytrains ruin the audio.

I have never done audio post production before. We have the Adobe Creative Suite including Adobe Audition.

I presume the best bet is to simply try to increase the gain of the main talent (depressed person). I'll also try to use Audition's noise reduction tools to capture a noise print (the skytrain), and then remove that nose print.

Audition also has a Speech Volume Leveler, I'll give that a try.

We have an atmos track which we'll overlay at some point.

Any advice would be hugely appreciated.

Note: the feature is for submission via DVD to various festivals. We don't have the budget to pay for proper post audio production. I know the audio pros do a huge amount of post audio work including stripping out gaps in dialogue etc - we don't have the time to do that, and lack any audio post experience.

Last edited:
Sounds pretty clean to me. the train doesn't even register in my laptop speakers and i cant seem to find my headphones right now.

It's just a matter of matching the audio levels since your VO is much louder that the rest, but sounds like you already know that.

This is already better than 90% of indie audio I've heard so I think whatever you come up with will be fine, especially if it's just DVD

You put each individual voice on an individual editing/mixing track. You edit out all the space between lines of dialog. If needed to you edit the dialog using the dialog from the alt/unused takes. If there is noise you do noise reduction.

The next step is to put in all of your Foley; after that, sound effects. Then spot your score and source music.

Now you are ready to mix. Unless you are mixing to specific broadcast standards you will mix by ear. I hope that you have - at the least - some decent speakers and a reasonably treated room.

Here's a tip - do not keep making things louder, make others softer. For instance... Decrease the volume of the interviewers voice and the VO. Here's another tip - create a sub-buss for each audio category - Dialog, Foley, Sound Effects and Score/Music.

Thanks moonshieldmedia and Alcove Audio.

Here's a tip - do not keep making things louder, make others softer. For instance... Decrease the volume of the interviewers voice and the VO.
But when I export to DVD, I need the sound of my TV (new) literally at max (100%) in order to hear the main talent (the depressed person). That cannot be good. Hence my need to raise the gain on her.

Last edited:
I'm no film audio pro, but I've got no work on this week and I had a bit of free time ;)

Anyway, I threw it into Pro Tools and spent a bit of time on it...

I put a De-Esser on the VO; EQ, some compression and a few other things on the interviewee (incl. Noise Reduction). EQ'd the interviewer to match the interviewee a bit better, and tried to pull some room tone over the interviewer.

(Relatively) Balanced the levels, then pushed everything up to give it a tad more volume.

I'm sure the audio guys will chime in and say parts or all of it is 'wrong' in some (or many) way(s), and in the scheme of things, a proper sound design and mix would be a lot better, but anwyay.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ewlsfce3h9r0wez/sample_mix.wav

Last edited:
Back