Are big roles a curse for actors?

I've noticed that certain actors experience a stark drop in employment opportunities after having a "major" role in a feature film --so they say. They become forever known for their character/participation in the film, and afterwards fade away into oblivion as a result of not being able to work. The role is something that's usually coveted and that dreams are made of at first,

Elijah Wood, Jaleel White, and Countess Vaughn are examples. Their careers have been dead as door nails after "Lord of the Rings", "Family Matters". and "The Parkers" in my opinion.

Is that always the case? Sometimes the case? Depends? Can you give examples of people who that's happened to outside of the people mentioned above? Didn't happen to? Those who you think it will happen to in the future?

It's not the role that hurts them, it's just their acting ability. I wouldn't call Elijah Wood a good actor, and enough employers have seen LOTR to know he wouldn't do well in their big action or horror film.

As a guy who hallucinates a talking dog, he's believable

Also, after these big roles I'm sure their price tag goes WAY up, and everyone in the biz knows it. So unless they were absolutely perfect for a part, a lesser or more affordable name would have to suffice.

Or sometimes maybe it could be a case of; the prettiest girl at the ball never gets asked to dance, because nobody thinks she'll dance with them. If you get my meaning?

Last edited:
Iron man certainly has not been a curse for rob d.
the matrix certainly has not been a curse for keanu
batman certainly has not been a curse for chris b

i don't follow your logic, sorry.

Back