• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Any roto tips?

I have been roto'ing and compositing like crazy over the last few weeks and I've been chewing through styluses like it's going out of fashion. I have been happy with the results and learned a whole heap... in fact I am just wishing for a matte painter as a friend so if any matte painters out there want a new best friend...!

Some of the results are amazing although the results don't look amazing. For example, I have been removing people, big pink trailers etc... from shots and replacing them with natural scenery and other more appropriate backgrounds.

However, I also wanted to ask if any of you have any practical rotoing tips. What is your experience? What suggestions would you make?

Yea I got some roto tips:

1. Dont rush, take your time. Makes for a better end product
2. Podcasts so you dont get bored so you dont rush
3. Use B splines not the ones with handles etc as its more points to edit
4. Break shapes down for example if your doing roto on a hand thats fairly large in shot do 3 shapes for each part of the finger as its easier to animate
5. Try not to edit the points, edit the shape as a whole morping it into place thus keeping points consistent over the movement
6. Try use as few keframes as posible letting the compuiter do most of the work. Put keframes at the start and end of movement. For example when the arm swings up when walking, when it stops moving up any more... keyframe, when it swings down and stops... keyframe then start tweaking when it drifts furthest away.

If you want more stuff, I recoment this book:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Rotoscoping...UTF8&qid=1374321310&sr=8-3&keywords=rotoscope

Yea I got some roto tips:

1. Dont rush, take your time. Makes for a better end product
2. Podcasts so you dont get bored so you dont rush
3. Use B splines not the ones with handles etc as its more points to edit
4. Break shapes down for example if your doing roto on a hand thats fairly large in shot do 3 shapes for each part of the finger as its easier to animate
5. Try not to edit the points, edit the shape as a whole morping it into place thus keeping points consistent over the movement
6. Try use as few keframes as posible letting the compuiter do most of the work. Put keframes at the start and end of movement. For example when the arm swings up when walking, when it stops moving up any more... keyframe, when it swings down and stops... keyframe then start tweaking when it drifts furthest away.

If you want more stuff, I recoment this book:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Rotoscoping...UTF8&qid=1374321310&sr=8-3&keywords=rotoscope

Thanks!

Back