• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Ambulance lights

Hi everyone,

So I'm doing a scene in my new short film where two EMTs try to revive a guy who's has a heart attack outside his house. It takes place on a driveway during the day. I thought of maybe having lights flash from an ambulance to add a good touch to the scene. Does anyone know a good idea to go about this?

I don't want to just worry about it in Post, I'd actually like to have some sort of lights that we flash over the actors....if this is possible, any ideas of what good and inexpensive lights or mechanisms to buy?

thanks in advance!

FYI, driverrodeshotgun: What the Brits and Aussies call "torches" we call "flashlights" here in the States. ;)

Ahh :P

Yes, I mean tihs kinda thing
HL206-3070__54315.1310615487.1280.1280.jpg

Not this
TESV_Torch.png

ambulance lights aren't going to throw a lot of noticeable light during the day, unless the ambulance is actually in the shot, in which case you'd be best off just getting hold of a real or prop ambulance for the shot.

If it were at night, or dusk, when there's significantly less ambient light, the colored and white strobes of an ambulance would cast light more noticeably.

In that case, something along the lines of what ray linked to would be ideal.

thanks for all the replies. I'm glad I won't have to light any torches. A fake heart attack victim, simulated CPR and fake EMTs, and torches, the neighbors might start to wonder.

Buying the LED lights would work if I decide to do it at night, which I may end up doing. Only problem is that they need to run in a car, and it may be hard to position the car in conjunction to be out of the shot but where the lights are close enough to be in the shot.

ZenSteve, Do you have any links for LED panels with all kinds of patterns & FX built in that you used? Did you have that plugged into car too? Really nice set up in that video.

These will work right?:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Undercover-...Parts_Accessories&hash=item3ccf13576d&vxp=mtr

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Emergency-F...Parts_Accessories&hash=item460e2e680a&vxp=mtr

Last edited:
Buying the LED lights would work if I decide to do it at night

It'll work fine during the day, too, if you take the time to make it work.

ZenSteve, Do you have any links for LED panels with all kinds of patterns & FX built in that you used?

Go down to Guitar Center and play with their overpriced Chauvet lights and see how they work; then compare online. I think this is the model we used. It was in that ballpark, anyway. Linkage to mah light

Only problem is that they need to run in a car
No. They have a cigarette lighter style plug, but you don't HAVE to have a car for that.. just a 12v DC power supply.. You could remove the plug and wire it up to a battery directly, or get a 12v power socket from the auto parts store and wire that up.

I have a battery box I use when camping for this, it's got 3 of those 12v cigarette liter jacks on it, and switches to turn power to them on and off.. inside is a small 12v lawn tractor battery. If I charge the battery fully it'll work for me for the entire weekend with limited use for cell phone charging, lighting the tent and an overhead fan. I've never run it down past half this way.. LEDs are a pretty light power draw, so a similar setup would work nicely for you.

The box is a cheap home depot plastic tool box, the battery fits inside with plenty of room to spare, and I wired up the jacks through the end of the box with the switches on the lid.

Back