• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Advice for camcorder

I was wondering if anybody on here has had experience shooting either an indie short or feature on a home-grade camcorder. Mine is an old Sony camcorder from the 1990s that runs on High 8 tapes, just so you know the kind of camera I'm talking about. I'm seriously thinking about doing the 48 hour film project for 2013, and I'd like to do it with this particular camcorder. With that said, anybody ever shoot an indie feature or short with that kind of camera? If so, what tips/advice do you have?

I viewed your short. I'd suggest you keep using this camera to develop your skills. Technique isn't the only thing important. You've got to be able to create a compelling film that doesn't bore your audience. Most shorts fail to impress audiences.

Somewhere along the line you'll figure out exactly what camcorder you need/want. But beware of gearheads and tech freaks. Story comes first, even if shot on Hi8.

old Sony camcorder from the 1990s that runs on High 8 tapes, just so you know the kind of camera I'm talking about. I'm seriously thinking about doing the 48 hour film project for 2013, and I'd like to do it with this particular camcorder.

Cool, you should do it. :cool:

With that said, anybody ever shoot an indie feature or short with that kind of camera? If so, what tips/advice do you have?

My earliest shorts were on a Sony Digital-8, which was a weird intermediary format that still recorded to Hi-8 tapes. I don't have any special tips. Just the usual. Light well. Know the story well. Plan well. The camera's probably gonna be the least of the production's problems. :lol:

I'm pretty sure I messed around as a little 8 year old with one of those cameras quite a bit. I can't say anything about tips or advice except don't be disappointed when a film or video or whatever, that's not even really well made but looks really good cause it was shot on a dslr, gets higher praise than yours even if yours is a much better quality in the production and story telling.

Thanks for the good advice, everyone. Does anyone have any good advice as to what I can use for recording audio along with a camera like that, along with lighting?

First, find out if your camera has a mic jack. If you do, find one and tape it on a pole and presto, boom mike. Use that till you get your technique perfected.

As for lights, google "3 point lighting". The more often you use 3 point lighting, the better your film will look. A bounce card often works pretty well for the second "point."

Good luck.

First, find out if your camera has a mic jack. If you do, find one and tape it on a pole and presto, boom mike. Use that till you get your technique perfected.

As for lights, google "3 point lighting". The more often you use 3 point lighting, the better your film will look. A bounce card often works pretty well for the second "point."

Good luck.

Thanks. For the boom mic, what microphone do you recommend I use, and what do you recommend I use for the covering (the thing that makes sure the background noise is out)?

Back