• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

A T2i, vintage lens & live view

So I have this small issue, when using my T2i, a lovely vintage lens, and Live View.

When in Movie Mode, I get a total wysiwyg on the Live View lcd screen. I can change the settings all I like, on both the camera & the lens, and I can see the changes immediately. Additionally, when I record something and play it back... it looks just the same as how the Live View did.

When I switch to Manual (to take stills), however, the image that I end up is not even close to what was shown on the Live View. If I have set up what appears to be a perfectly exposed shot (according to the lcd, anyway), the image will come out overexposed as if there's a few thousand extra ISO added along the way.

At any rate, I was compensating for this by increasing the shutterspeed 'til the Live View is essentially pitch black, and then ending up with a normal pic after shooting the still. I've gone through every single setting I can find a way to access, and have been unable to fix this.

Anyone happen to know anything about this? It was happening before I started using Magic Lantern, btw.

tia :)

I haven't had this issue with DSLR's. I see small/medium variations all the time between Live View and the image i actually capture but an image so overexposed where there is a difference of thousands of ISO's... and then Live View being pitch black and then getting a good exposure...

This is kind of a non comment bc idk what's wrong and idk how to help.

But in any case, have you been checking your histogram? It's one of the most important tools to expose your image the way you like. If your histogram is showing a good exposure and you're not getting one...

totally drove me bonkers when I got in that state Steve..

I simply "rest to defaults" and it seemed to come back to expected behavior. Everything on the net says the T2i doest have a way to disable Exposure Simulation, but dang it I thought it did....
Sorry, cant quite recall...

Thanks

Finally found the solution.
smiley_mysterysolved.gif

There is indeed an option to turn on/off the Exposure Simulation. Right below that is another setting for "Exposure Override" which needed to be turned ON, it turns out.

Thanks peeps :cool:

Back