• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

7d LED Camera top light ?

Hi,

I currently have no lights and am wanting to invest in a camera top LED light. Preferrable the new R-300 f and v (http://www.fvlighting.com/r-300-led-ring-light.html[/URL]).

My short film will be 90% handheld (in some tight spots) and thought, with the diffuser, the LED would provide subtle close-up face and eye lighting...but will it look too paparazzi? Should I invest in another battery-powered or something else? Suggestions please.

Thanks

It's able to go on a light stand as well...maybe along with natural lighting I'll be ok lighting faces with this led.

For indoor stuff Ill use china balls but on-the-move, outdoors, I think this will do.

I like to use a ring light to add pop to the subject's eyes when other lighting provides the mood and exposure. The happier or more energetic the subject is the brighter the eye light. The one that you have selected is dimable, which is good, but I couldn't find in the specs if it is color stable when dimmed. For the color, it lists "daylight balanced", but doesn't say what the color temperature is. These are just things to keep in mind.

Under additional information it says 5600K. And a diffusion filter, along with a tungsten one comes with it. I'm still a little uneducated on color temperature but it seems as long as the white card looks white, you're good. Is that correct?

Under additional information it says 5600K. And a diffusion filter, along with a tungsten one comes with it. I'm still a little uneducated on color temperature but it seems as long as the white card looks white, you're good. Is that correct?

You can white balance to a card or other white object. 5600K is considered in the range of daytime color temperature. If you have a light color meter, you can dim the unit and test the temperature.

Back