Maximizing the exposure with marketing and publicity opportunities – Part I

Maximizing the exposure with marketing and publicity opportunities – Part I

This is merely a reference. I have done this (for the past 8 years) and I am sure many of you had done it, as well. This paper is a combination of publicity and marketing methods that would help sell your product, no matter what it is, a film, a show, a shoe, a pencil, etc. :)

Let me backtrack a bit. I have an MBA and I later worked with a salesman that can make a dead person look alive (Seriously, he can talk and he can sell. He is not a car sales person, but a computer geek.). I’ve learned from him and from others that are already on the road of success. I was also lucky, at one point, to be part of an organization which our main goal was to promote a charity that auction off celebrity stuff. In this way, we had to work with nonprofit organizations and celebrities at the same time. That connected me to have the opportunity to work with some of the top notch publicist in LA, which included Lee Solters and Digney, PMK, Rogers and Cowan, etc. My duty, as part of this organization, was to think of worst case scenario: I was the logistic person. At the same time, I was hired to do promotion/publicity/marketing as a whole.

As mentioned earlier in another thread, your name has to be out there for them to think you are an expert, granted, you will form A LOT OF ENEMIES. This is because many would think you are snobby, others would think you don’t know anything, but the MAJORITY of the people would follow you because your words are gold…, because you seem to know your stuff. So, the rule is simple, make it a minimum of 12 times a year to ‘propagate’ your name or your product. The more they hear about it, the more they think you are the missing piece of their life.

You always hear your boss telling you that you have $xxx amount of budget for marketing. When you go and design the promotional material, and tell your boss it would cost lower than the $xxx amount, your boss’ first question is still, “How much cheaper can we do this?” or now it’s, “I have no $ now, make it work with no $”… so you do. I’ve encountered that scenario so many times that I have decided to find some ‘cheap’ to no-budget way of promotion and marketing. Which include these…

I’m going to list a few things in random order. They are things I do (at one time together or spread out) to maximize exposure for my products or goods. Feel free to add your own comments and suggestions.

- Press Kit/Media Kit
Create a press kit of your product. This should be like a portfolio with articles, press releases: a write at up newspaper, a photo at an event, and everything that has ever mention of the product or yourself (depending on the press kit is about, if it’s about you, then create your portfolio). Make the press kit (sometimes called a media kit) available online and hard copies (for mailing). Current dates listed first and then back track. What is this good for? It is to show everyone, the ‘non-expert’, that your stuff is out there and it’s everywhere, to make them a believer… Lee Solters called it the “Media Bible” after he saw the results. He then decided to do the same press/media kits for each of his clients to help promote them. Try to update your kit as much as you can to reflect the changes or additions. I have about four, six-inch-thick binding folders of things I’ve done since 1985. It is my credential/portfolio which includes my designs, articles, news clips, and events that I have done. It is creating the ‘credibility’ environment for me. (For movie press kits, you can use mine of A Joker’s Card as example, located at http://www.mdifilm.com/joker/graphics/ajc_press_kit.zip.)

- Press Releases
We all have written them, but have you successfully gotten anyone respond back and use it to write an article? If your answer is not as much as you want, then you need to sit back and think on ‘targeting’ correct press release markets.

That means, don’t send the same PR to everyone, but adjust accordingly to the reporter’s taste or the newspaper’s needs. As many reporters had told me in the past, they want news that revolves within their community that is exciting. The Plain Dealer would rather write about Spiderman 3 coming to Cleveland than Johnny Wu attending Oscars in LA. Why? There is more interest because it affects its own area. So, look for the angle. If your product is sports related, talk to sports reporters. Even they might say, “Sorry, your product isn’t sports,” then see what angle needs to be addressed so he would want to write about it. A reporter will most likely write your story if there’s a lot of ‘peoples’ feelings’ involved, meaning that it connects with the readers. So, ask yourself this: How will my product benefit you (the reader)? Write your PR around this, main plot and sub-plot it out (like a story).

I usually start the first paragraph short, 3 or 4 lines on how this product would benefit the reader. The 2nd paragraph would expand more into the product. The third is the quotes and results that can be benefited by benefactors, and, finally, write about the company or author. Try to limit your PR to about 1 page AND less wordy if possible (so, nothing like this…). Reporters tend to ‘scan through’, not read through, so all the pertinent info MUST be available. If it’s about an event, make sure the date, location, time, price, attire, and what’s included is spelled out. (An example of this can be found at www.mdifilm.com/free/press.zip. - Note: they’re scattered because I have to re-pdf it and many might be missing.)

- Design
This would include posters, postcards, business cards, flyers, etc of your product that you want to sell. Again, keep in mind that the audience is more interested in ‘needs’ than ‘wants’. If it’s something they ‘need’, they will get it. A ‘need’ can be classified so many ways, such as, I love kung-fu flicks and I would consider it a ‘need’ to buy the latest kung-fu film. You need to get toilet paper cause it’s out…, that sort of thing. Wants are harder to sell, but it’s possible for you to ‘sparkle’ the product a lot more for sale. Like PS3 or Xbox 360, everyone want one, but why? Is it because it’s the latest trend or because they had smart marketing? Or is it because of the technology? I think it’s both, how they ‘branded’ the name into your head and how they use technology to ‘woo’ you.

Make sure the identity of each design is similar or the same. Do not have text or graphics angled downward (like down out to page), keep font types clean and easy to read. You must keep design easy for the eyes, add text appropriately if you feel it’s a bit too empty, but don’t over crowd or saturate messages all over. It isn’t healthy and most of us wouldn’t bother reading through.

The design of the piece should be interesting. If you are selling a film about horror, then find a good ‘horror look’ to it that draws attention. Don’t just have the text or a house; because it’s not as catchy. Make people want to find out more, basically, tease them to want more. I am sitting in front of a poster for The Butterfly Effect, it’s simple, it’s interesting, and it’s sellable. Ashton Kutcher’s face is behind a basic tag line: “Change One Thing. Change Everything.” It’s that simple design that catches eyes and gets more attention to it.

Keep the pictures angled leaning inward the poster, so your attention is always drawn to the middle. This is to help keep your eyes concentrated to the design than wondering off around the edges.

Create web based poster/design, as well. Now, internet has become a great ‘marketing’ opportunity, as long as you don’t spam. (More on this later)

- Branding
Without people remembering who you are, you won’t help sell your product. So, you need to get an identity. If your product is film, then make sure the name of the movie is something people can remember. If you want to ‘brand’ your company, then make sure your company name is easy to remember as well. The ones that we always remember: Hanes, IBM, Sony are branded already because of simplicity. If you are just starting out, you then need to decide which branding identity you want to go with: your product, yourself, or your company?

I have had a lot of problems on this perspective. I wanted to brand my name, I wanted to brand my company (MDI), and I wanted to brand my films.

So, first I did is to brand my name and the company, which is always on everything I do or write. Eventually, everyone knew Johnny Wu and the MDI name (but not Media Design Imaging), so I was in an ‘OK’ position. Then I started to use my initial for Johnny K. Wu to brand with my films. Why? I decided to set me apart from my other relative who is in the business… long story. Anyhow, it’s best to keep it different where there’s no confusion.

Branding is a bit tricky. You can ‘make fun’ of yourself like what I do with viral videos, such as the one for the teaser of The Rapture. That way, it’s somehow imprinted into your brain; or… You can easily have it on press releases, every design page, or on your business card, and such. However, it’s up to how much ‘buzz’ you can create that would help get your brand out. If you branding name is too hard to remember, think of a ‘tag line’ or a slogan that would help.

Branding film with your name is usually much easier to do. Obviously “A Film By Johnny K. Wu” at the beginning would work. Also, “presented by Johnny K. Wu” or “a product by MDI” or “Johnny K. Wu and MDI proudly announce the invention of a new device that keeps you looking young for 5 years…”

Last edited:
ok, had to cut it into two parts:

- Smooching Reviewers
So, now you got your product (or almost started with your product) and you need to get publicity going. Best thing to do, look at the net for people who do reviews on your type of products. For example, if you make a horror flick, check out sites that reviews these films and nicely request to see if they would like a copy of your movie to review. When they respond, send it to them with some goodies (other work you’ve done or promotional giveaways). This would help them look at your stuff before others’, perhaps even give you a better review… Sorry, this is A BUSINESS so you need to play the game to win. Now, if you want to treat them to dinner, do it! It will give you a chance to succeed. NOTE: Once the review is out and it’s bad, DO NOT hate them, thank them instead. Let them know you appreciate their time and ask if they can keep reviewing your future films. If they say yes, then you are set. Most likely, they will do a better review next time due to guilt (or whatever else)… Create your database of reviewers and then when you get something going, send them your PR. Soon enough, they will start writing about you constantly. 

Reviews should be done on local, regional, state, city, national levels so you can maximize your chance of success. I do not recommend sending them a link to view your movie, most reviewers love to get a DVD, but that doesn’t mean they will ACTUALLY keep it. They might throw it out after viewing it and recycle the cases.  But, either way, you got it written up.

What happens if the review is bad? Well, pick some good part; use that as quote in your press releases, flyers etc. If the review is good, then spread it out to everyone, add it into your PR’s and include it at your site.

- Research
Now, you got your product out and you want to sell it… you have no storefront and you have no more money for advertisement… Well, how about this: study the market a bit more; find out who in this market specializing in buying your line of product. Then, do a study of the company history and find out who is the real person that should be contacted. Get their info and just simply call them. You would be surprised how easily you get to talk to them and that they would actually listen to your case. Make it quick though, you only have 10 seconds to convince them on your product…

Attend trade shows that relate to your product. Meet, greet, and sell. Convert yourself to a salesperson. However, to make your product stand out over others, you should keep asking yourself what does the buyer really buy? Image that you are them and use that to choose who you should approach… Be realistic, don’t assume and do your homework. Assuming is the first step of failure.

When doing research, you can go backwards. What is the main goal of your finished product? What is the intended audience? What is the format it will be released on? If it’s film, do I plan for theatrical release or DVD? Then, from there, decide the format, and so on. This would help direct you to the right path.

Example: A Joker’s Card was planned for film festivals and comic book conventions. But, while I was doing research, I found out that I can’t show copyrighted material at festivals nor conventions anymore, so I decided to change it to a ‘comedy/parody’. That’s where I established the goal. Next was to decide on format. Since it was mostly a free giveaway (At that time, I wasn’t sure how far I could go with selling it), so my end format wasn’t going to be bigger than what DVD can handle. We decided to go with a digital format and a lot of color correction in place. When the film was done, I took it to several attorneys to double check on its parody clause and they all (3) agreed that it is, in fact, a parody. Because of that, it was accepted at many places and is now being sought for distribution by our sales representative at several film markets. If we didn’t plan backwards, it might still be sitting in my basement… collecting dust.

Like many of us had said, there is a market for EVERYTHING.

- Advertisement
You can advertise a lot cheaper than you think… Making a reporter write a story about you, sending out a press release, or getting a PSA sent out of an event that connects with your product. PSA is what they called a public service announcement, and is usually for making a ‘statement’ sort of thing, but it can be used, carefully, to promote your product. Make sure, if you are sending your PSA to radio stations; write it out for them word by word how you want them to read it. Make a 15 second, a 30 second and a 60 second version. For TV and Newspaper, the same thing, this is useful because it leaves less work for them and they will most likely read it.

If you have public access channels, utilize them to promote your product. Shoot yourself talking about the BENEFIT of the product, but don’t mention numbers or prices (public access channels don’t like that) however, you can put up a website address. *hint*

If you have local newspapers or weekly or independent news prints that you can attach your flyer to, do that. Most smaller news publications wouldn’t mind having your product flyer attached to their publication (as long as you pay them). Yeah, but sometimes you can barter and it might work out. I have 4 months of free advertisement for A Joker’s Card (actual printed flyers at their publication) for some smaller print publication in town. And they also did many write up.

Also, find stores that are similar to your product, like for example, when I was shooting one feature called Twisted, I got a sponsor. A pizza chain agreed to let me place flyers about the film at their establishments. In return, I just have a product placement somewhere in the film. They also agreed to give me $1500 worth of food for cast/crew for three months. All I did was call up and ask, and I got it… However, sometimes you might need to show something to convince them, like a portfolio, a press/media kit. *hint*

Write an article and send it in that it could be published. It helps garner some attention, making you the expert. The articles should be of things you know about. If you are a filmmaker, write about how you started up, it’s an interest for others who want to be a filmmaker. Most print publications love that.

- Showcasing
You need to demonstrate your product everywhere. It can be from trade shows to film festivals, or night clubs to coffee houses… Having a showing helps gather attention and it also would give you another reason to write a press release. The show can be free or charge, it’s up to you but keep in mine it’s about volume not about how much you want to earn back. If you have local film groups, show it there, if you have a premiere, do it with style. At A Joker’s Card, we had about 399 people in there, about 250 of them got free DVD and there was a lot of food. For Drama Queen, we had about 750 people there, more people and no food, but everyone danced.

Send it to film festivals. I recommend any small or free one first. Why? To build credibility. If you get in, you can make one of those ‘laurels’ and use it to ‘impress’ others. Yeah, you won’t impress your fellow filmmakers, but others will be (media, etc). Every time you get into a festival, write another PR so it will get distributed. Constantly let everyone know about what’s going on. Now, any sized festivals are good and the smaller ones sometimes could help you get into larger ones, I know, been there. Now with larger ones, be selective, first do research, find out if the current year’s theme coincides with your movie’s theme, if not, move on. If yes, find out what format they need, how it is ran, do your homework, study and research, fill out the form, and send it in with a nice cover letter with the fees. If you get rejected, thank them for considering you. If possible, you can also ask for a reason of why being rejected, most bigger festivals will tell you, but you must be patient and wait!

If you get in, press release it to the max! Anyway, one suggestion, please don’t make a film and rush it in just because the due date for a festival is coming up. You should always make your film good and make it right, not a rush, rush job. You get more opportunity of success if the film is GOOD vs. if it’s just OK. If you have questions about the festivals, ask them directly and be polite. Don’t go to forums and ask everyone, the advice you get from forums might not necessarily apply to the ones of the festival. Don’t send rough cut to festivals, even if they say it’s ok because if they don’t like it, they probably would not consider your final version. Most of all, you’ve wasted your time and theirs. Don’t have a lot of high hopes to get into BIG festivals. FYI - most of them have about 85% of their time slot blocked for invited films, 20% slot for films submitted, and that 15% is really nothing if the festival gets over 2000 submission each year.

So, it’s getting long, so I’m stop for now… stay tuned for part two :)

This is good stuff, can't wait to read more. I think the one thing that you've pointed out that can't be stressed enough is that even if you get a rejection or a bad review to thank them...convincingly and honestly. If you get mopey and depressed, that is what they will remember. Always say thank you, always lead with your name/company's name.

Coot, thanks! I just fix it ;) Read it twice and somehow I kept thinking that was the right link... my bad. ;)

And thanks all for the nice comment :) hehe

This is IndieTalk exclusive (just posted here and at myspace's profile). Am going to use this as my topic of discussion during a little talk on May 23.

PS: the text was cleaned up by Andrew Spence (since I have 3 languages residing in me, he helped polish this to be a more 'understantable' phrases), so a big thank to him for reading this through and fixing it.

Last edited:
JackRyan... In PR, they will teach you a lot of how to make bad PR into good PR. if you are in LA, I would recommend sitting down with Lee Solters (formerly PR for Michael Jackson, Frank Sinatra, Liz Taylor, etc), he got stories, and TONS of it, that will easily tell you a lot how he did things back then. Everytime I sit down with him to talk about our project, it goes to 5 hours later, mostly him telling stories. :) I love those too!

can anyone suggest a site and or printer whom can help us produce a folder for our press kits for independent film. We are looking to produce a 100 hard copies of a media kit / press kit.

thanks
Really any printer can. Call Kinko's (FedEx Office) or a local printer.

Back