Composer of Pop Rock

Hello to all. Just signed up my company, 50/50 Films, and can't believe we didn't find this cool site earlier.

I'm Matt Thompson, the music/editing/production/graphic design half of the partnership (though Tony Quinn, my partner, and I work closely together), and have been in the music business one way or another since before I was a teenager. Currently, I'm writing for 50/50 Films' projects, commercial/t.v. as well as writing a solo album for an upcoming documentary release from Austin's STB Productions.

I write mostly pop, but of course that naturally drifts into other areas. Many samples and history on my website, teddev.com (flash plugin required), including a couple of new songs written for the soundtrack to our new feature, The Lycanthrope.

Stop by if you get a chance, and please get in touch if you have any radio-ready pop needs for your next/current project.

Thanks.

Matt

I will check it out. Question: What is "Pop"? Im guessing it stands for Popular. So when You say Pop, do you mean what we would find on MTV, Like those lame Britney Spear groups (No, Im not attacking you :D )

Or do you mean "Pop" from the days of the Beatles, Byrds, Yardbirds and that kind of stuff, where the term was first Coined.

anyways, I'll check out your music. Is any of it royal free for non commercial use. I should ask, Can we use your music for free if there is no money (Other then what the Film Festivals pull in)?

Pop rock is radio-friendly rock with a catchy hook (chorus).

What is pop? Hmm...

I'm sorry, but nothing I write may be used for free. I have worked many different arrangements with people though - fee up front, deferred, etc. It depends on the company or person with which I'm working. ASCAP collects for any radio play, etc., as far as that end's concerned. All my stuff is registered with ASCAP as a writer/publisher.

MTE said:
I'm sorry, but nothing I write may be used for free.
We all respect an artist's choice to either licence their work for paid/creative commons/public domain usage.

I absolutely HATE to say something like this, but the reason there's so many crack addicts out there is because 'the first hit is always free'.

This is why I licence my works under a Creative Commons licence, I 'give them away'. They've become very popular, donning thousands of downloads. I get 30 to 50 emails a day from people all around the world telling me they love my Bad Cat series of shorts. I got an email the other day from a fan in Myanmar, where ever the hell that is.

If I didn't 'give these away', next to nobody would know who I was. Sometimes It's okay to give away free samples. Hey, it works for Baskin Robbins!

mrde50 said:
This is why I licence my works under a Creative Commons licence, I 'give them away'. They've become very popular, donning thousands of downloads. I get 30 to 50 emails a day from people all around the world telling me they love my Bad Cat series of shorts. I got an email the other day from a fan in Myanmar, where ever the hell that is.

Hey, that's great, and it works for you - very cool. There's never a shortage of free stuff out there. I've chosen a different route (not free) and have been busy for years, although there are downloads on my site that are free and have been quite popular as well. Some of the stuff even duplicates what I've got on iTunes. The usage of the tunes is not free, however. It's worked just fine for me. ASCAP is a great organization also, for any of you non-members out there.

Looking forward to checking out your series of shorts though, and good luck on your stuff.

Back