I finally got a descent Camera. Need suggestions

I picked up a used mint condition Panasonic AG-DVC30 on ebay for doing some short films and one full length movie in the spring. I'm very happy with it. It's light, compact and has a lot of features for the price.

The 1st thing I plan on getting is the XLR adapter and a Audio Technica 835b mic. After taking a walk around with the head phones on using the camera's mic I finally realized why ppl are always saying to use xlr and a descent mic instead of the factory one.

I already have a bag/case.

I also need to buy a tripod. nothing fancy. under $500. Any suggestions?

Anything else I should consider? Lenses? Another mic?

I Can't wait to see the picture it produces considering I was using a $400 Sony Digi 8 that was 2 years old and a 3 year old JVC Mini DV.

Chase86 said:
I also need to buy a tripod. nothing fancy. under $500. Any suggestions?QUOTE]

...look for a bogen/manfrotto tripod at b&hphotovideo.com Bogen is the work horse of tripods and if you get a 501 fluid head you are good to go. It should cost you less than $500 but if the tripod holds more weight (of the camera) the price goes up. It also goes up if you get a more involved (?) fluid head.

...it is possible to get a tripod kit, which is what I suggest and will be getting myself soon. It comes with the tripod and the fluid head and still will cost you under $500. A tripod case, the one I got, cost less than $75 dollars and has some room for you to put a few other things in as well. I had a mic stand that I put in with the tripod (the base was too big, but the pole fit).

...when you get your tripod, try to remember: you don't have to lock down the drags so hard. Just lock them down well enough so that you can comfortably move the camera and head the way that you want, and have it hold in the place that you need it to. And even if you are using a static (stationary) shot, lock it down, but don't force it. The bogen that I was lent was 'stripped', which means that the only good thing it was good for was stationary shots and that is not what you are spending your money for...

...btw, work on your handheld skills as well. As important as a good tripod is, sometimes you can't use it in the areas or what have you. Good handheld skills are a good idea...

...hope this is some help to you...

--spinner :cool:

Get at least one or two long life (4 hours or more) batteries and a sperate charger if your batteries have to be charged on the camera because if you battery dies and you have to charge through you camera, then you shoot is over.

Lens cleaning tissue and fluid.

Regarding tripods here are a few I found on www.evsonline.com:
- Bogen 701 & 745 Kit $365
- Libec TH-M20 $200
- Davis & Sanford Provista 7518 $250
All have claw ball leveling heads

A RCA cable so you can connect to a monitor/TV.

Energy bars or some type of granola bars in your case. Hey, sometimes you get running and gunning and don't have much time to eat and these suckers last forever, so have a couple handy just in case.

Scott

Last edited:
scottspears said:
Get at least one or two long life (4 hours or more) batteries and a sperate charger if your batteries have to be charged on the camera because if you battery dies and you have to charge through you camera, then you shoot is over. Scott

...when you buy your batteries...I had to learn this myself...

...just because the package says it is a 10 hour battery does not mean it is. You need to look at the back of the package and look for some letters that spell out mAh. the numbers may say something like 5400. THIS is the ACTUAL life of your battery. About 5 hours and 40 minutes. These long life batteries will cost about $150 dollars but they are rechargeable, don't spend money on a expensive charger, (the $35 dollar one I have, I now have 2, live and learn,) will work just fine and they don't lose life if you plug them in before it is completely drained even though doing that is a good idea....

...I personally have 3 5400mAh batteries and I have a cigarette lighter charger, you can find chargers with wall plugs and cigarette lighters together, so you can charge in your car, that little extra saved me alot and you will be happy you have it...

--spinner :cool:

Back