• READ BEFORE POSTING!
    • If posting a video, please post HERE, unless it is a video as part of an advertisement and then post it in this section.
    • If replying to threads please remember this is the Promotion area and the person posting may not be open to feedback.

watch The Wretched Decree - Best Knife

Eddie,
Well, from an actors point of view ( My Self ) it was not bad at all for your first movie. I thought it was pretty good. Keep it up amd just keep plugging away with ideas and keep filming.

Great story. :cool:

Very nice predicament to put forth. Also a great open ending.

Interesting overlays for that "changing dimension" look.

Sound... was not so hot. You can hear the audio clips firing up as they start, and then clip off. You can reduce that a lot by:

1) ramping up the volume at the start of the clip, and then lowering at the end

2) Recording a 20 - 30 second of clean "silent" background sound and placing that in another audio layer, continuosly. It helps mask volume ramps, and it's also one of those things that people don't really hear... though if it's not there, they notice something is afoot.

I think the pacing might have been a bit faster, especially when the previous owner of the knife is talking to her in that other-dimension room. Also the shadows were a bit much, especially when camera is on the previous knife-owner. (btw, some of these issues are in my own entry... shhhh ;) )

Great entry. Solid story. :)

Really like the story concept. Very expensive looking knife too. ;) The parts where the actress speeds up, probably don't need that. Not sure if you were long on time or if you wanted it to look that way for a reason. Solid effort though.

Interesting and Different Idea. I had expected séances and walking dead, and you had “Death Zone” if you like. I liked the use of the TV. To see what she had missed for the last 6 months

Eddie,
Well, from an actors point of view ( My Self ) it was not bad at all for your first movie. I thought it was pretty good. Keep it up amd just keep plugging away with ideas and keep filming.

Thank you, I plan on it. I had way too much fun with this one.

Great story.

Very nice predicament to put forth. Also a great open ending.

Interesting overlays for that "changing dimension" look.

Sound... was not so hot. You can hear the audio clips firing up as they start, and then clip off. You can reduce that a lot by:

1) ramping up the volume at the start of the clip, and then lowering at the end

2) Recording a 20 - 30 second of clean "silent" background sound and placing that in another audio layer, continuosly. It helps mask volume ramps, and it's also one of those things that people don't really hear... though if it's not there, they notice something is afoot.

I think the pacing might have been a bit faster, especially when the previous owner of the knife is talking to her in that other-dimension room. Also the shadows were a bit much, especially when camera is on the previous knife-owner. (btw, some of these issues are in my own entry... shhhh )

Great entry. Solid story.

Zen, Thanks. I really knew many of the things that were obvious in the film that were bad, but these comments really help me know what I can do to make the next one go better.

Really like the story concept. Very expensive looking knife too. The parts where the actress speeds up, probably don't need that. Not sure if you were long on time or if you wanted it to look that way for a reason. Solid effort though.

My actress wasn't moving as fast as I wanted her to :lol: Really it was a combination of a few things, time constraints, and musical timing. I was just hoping it didn't look like keystone cops.

Interesting and Different Idea. I had expected séances and walking dead, and you had “Death Zone” if you like. I liked the use of the TV. To see what she had missed for the last 6 months

I was thinking of doing a "prequel" (Everybody is doing them)
and having a previous owner that wanted the knife back

SPOLERS INSIDE:

I really like the transition to the new dimension as well- the overlay works really well. Wasn't too keen on how the knife was found- seems pretty unlikely someone would see the knife in the road like that...

You already know about the dialogue- needs some room tone to make it less choppy. Also, the way the first lines are delivered is fine, but the editing causes Mark Delano's lines to start too late, and the woman's lines to be too abrupt.

As for the story- I love whole idea- and the TV screen is quite brilliant! The explaination is a little on-the-nose/awkward in the dialogue, but what else can you do in 5mins right? LOL.

Didn't like the choices the woman was offered. Kill yourself and go to heaven, or drop the knife in a bucket, read out a grocery list and go to heaven- even if those had been the choices, I think having her figure some alternate way out (perhaps killing Mark Delano?) without any negative reprocussions (dying) would have been cool.

All in all, the pacing is pretty slow until she gets back to the real world- that song in the background rocks! Once she starts taking care of business, it really picks up and moves... some of the shots were a little messy, but overall that sequence is really cool.

I can't believe this is a FIRST movie, though- really amazing job for a first film! Looking forward to more EddieL films!

mrde50 said:
Has anyone else noticed that when this video plays its upside down or am I the only person this is happening to?

Is it really? Yikes. Let me know if anyone else has this problem and if I can fix it, or if it is on Mrde50's end please help him out because I would have no idea what would cause this.:(

mrde50 said:
Has anyone else noticed that when this video plays its upside down or am I the only person this is happening to?

Perhaps your evil cat has reversed the polarity of your monitor- try rubbing his furry head against the monitor to de-polarize it.

I swear, the video is upside down in Windows Media Player. I tried playing it in Winamp and it played normally.

My cat says the magnetic poles will be reversing within 1000 years or so. So if I'm patient enough...

mrde50 said:

Didn't notice that mrde50, but did notice that when you play it backwards it says "Paul is dead"!:lol:

Good job Eddie. Another great first timer!!

Chris

Eddie,
You should be proud of your first film! I, too, liked the premise and use of tv. Your score reminded me of Megadeth. Excellent effort and I look forward to your progress. :)

Eddie -- Sorry I didn't get to this thread sooner...

I think you did a great job putting together your first movie. You've got a great concept with this one!

Again, I think people have already touched on the areas for improvement above, so I won't rehash those. I do think that a story of this nature would have benefited from a better balance of concept vs. action. The problem here is that it takes a lot of time to explain the lead character's situation, her predicament, and ultimately her choice. That left you with little time to balance that with action. The TV concept worked fairly well to bring in some of that balance, but I think you could have used something a bit more up-front. Also, a little bit of a quicker delivery of the dialogue and tighter editing in the dialogue scene might help.

Overall, I think you did a great job and I look forward to more!

Spatula said:
SPOLERS INSIDE:

I really like the transition to the new dimension as well- the overlay works really well. Wasn't too keen on how the knife was found- seems pretty unlikely someone would see the knife in the road like that...

You already know about the dialogue- needs some room tone to make it less choppy. Also, the way the first lines are delivered is fine, but the editing causes Mark Delano's lines to start too late, and the woman's lines to be too abrupt.

As for the story- I love whole idea- and the TV screen is quite brilliant! The explaination is a little on-the-nose/awkward in the dialogue, but what else can you do in 5mins right? LOL.

Didn't like the choices the woman was offered. Kill yourself and go to heaven, or drop the knife in a bucket, read out a grocery list and go to heaven- even if those had been the choices, I think having her figure some alternate way out (perhaps killing Mark Delano?) without any negative reprocussions (dying) would have been cool.

All in all, the pacing is pretty slow until she gets back to the real world- that song in the background rocks! Once she starts taking care of business, it really picks up and moves... some of the shots were a little messy, but overall that sequence is really cool.

I can't believe this is a FIRST movie, though- really amazing job for a first film! Looking forward to more EddieL films!

Thank you so much for this great critque and really I appreciate everything you said. I am making a list of things to make my next movie better.

bird said:
Eddie,
You should be proud of your first film! I, too, liked the premise and use of tv. Your score reminded me of Megadeth. Excellent effort and I look forward to your progress.:)

Thank you very much, you are a dedicated person to download all of these films. The ending song was done by my band back in 93. I was the lead singer and Dion (Mark Delano) was the bassist.

John@Bophe said:
Eddie -- Sorry I didn't get to this thread sooner...

I think you did a great job putting together your first movie. You've got a great concept with this one!

Again, I think people have already touched on the areas for improvement above, so I won't rehash those. I do think that a story of this nature would have benefited from a better balance of concept vs. action. The problem here is that it takes a lot of time to explain the lead character's situation, her predicament, and ultimately her choice. That left you with little time to balance that with action. The TV concept worked fairly well to bring in some of that balance, but I think you could have used something a bit more up-front. Also, a little bit of a quicker delivery of the dialogue and tighter editing in the dialogue scene might help.

Overall, I think you did a great job and I look forward to more!

I think the biggest lesson I have learned is that the dialogue in the middle (written in 20mins.) was not paced fast enough. That was something that I didn't realize as I was shooting or afterwords that should have moved at a quicker clip. (things I saw immediately after the video got on my hard drive would be the cords on the floor, pepsi bottle in the background and misc. crew/friends running around.)

I guess the best part of this whole experience would be the learning experience. The thoughts that everyone has given me here has inspired me even more to make better films. I hope everyone knows that I appreciate all the comments and that I will take the advice to make better films for everyone to see.

Back