character creation (makeup/costume related)

hello,

to anyone who is willing to help--

i need to create a character. he needs to be either an old man (and i will need to make someone look middle aged old ... he must be very old looking) or paint the actor a solid color... such as black or green... this character is a devil sort of god... anyway, can anyone help me with what i should get???

thanks alot!

To paint an actor a solid color there are many different body make-ups available. Mehron is my choice - they have a great line of liquid make-up, but it tends to dry and crack when used for long periods. Their grease paints will be a bit more expensive, but they work great.

Also check Kryolin and Ben Nye.

Old age, especially very old age is pretty simple for any make-up artist - it's usually the very first thing we do. You could go to any college with a theater department and find a willing make-up artist to help you out. Or I'd be glad to give you a step-by-step guide if you like.

Sorry it took me so long to get back to you on this. I'm editing my movie and had several pitch meetings along with my gig at WDI.

Use a little liquid latex along the wrinkle lines to tighten the skin. When it dries it will stick to itself so you can create deeper wrinkles. A very light application of latex can be used on the cheeks, neck, chin and forehead.

Powder then brush off.

Use a base that is slightly lighter than the actors skin tone.

Use a darker base or cream - Following the natural contours of the face darken the “age” lines and the wrinkles. Sometimes a highlight using is helpful.

Apply age spots and freckles with a darker color (use two or three different shades) and use a stipple sponge to add texture.

Vein lines can be painted on the neck and forehead which adds a translucent look to the skin.

Ok... I went to www.mehron.com and I'm checking out these products so I can order them...

So I am going to order a clear liquid latex (or should I get sable?) and a neutral ultrafine setting powder (or should I get soft beige?) for the first two steps

when you say base I guess you mean this Celebre make up stuff? I think that is what you mean at least... so when I check this out I should get two or three of these celebre colors? One that is slightly lighter than his skin, one that is slightly darker than his skin, and one that is even darker to add age spots?

I will also order a stipple sponge

for vein lines? what exactly do I need? A good paintbrush and a light bluish color?

thanks, this is my first time doing this and it seems quite complex but I can pull it off with some help

Once again I apologize for not getting to this sooner. I was at work all day and couldn’t get to a computer. And since you’re asking on two different threads I’m not sure which one you prefer to check for an answer.

I didn’t realise you had no experience with make up application at all: You’ll also need application sponges, powder brushes, makeup removers (be very careful with the latex - it sticks to hair and is REALLY painfull coming off) and hair color.

It’s difficult to answer about the color of the latex and powder without seeing the actor - it depends on the skin tone - so I guess you should go clear and nutural. This is the reason I suggested you check the local theaters or colleges for a makeup artist. I can help with generalities, but for specifics my hands are tied by not seeing the actor and not knowing how close you're getting and how long the application needs to last.

You can use the cream style (Celebre) or the cake style for a base. I always decide which, based on so many variables it’s hard to help you out. Maybe the cake type called “Old Age” will simplify things.

Use Rigid Collodion rather than latex. You don’t have as much control, but it might be easier for you.

For the lines, highlights, age spots, freckles and veins I use Ben Nye and Kryolin products so I’m not familiar with Mehron’s colors.

For the details you’ll want to get makeup brushes. They come in various sizes. This again is a specific point that I don’t think I can really help. I have brushes of every size and use the one my experience tells me is the best for any given application. Maybe you should get one fine point and one flat end.

While old age make up is the first thing makeup artists learn, it’s not easy - as you can tell. I cannot stress enough to find a makeup person with a full kit. Especially since you need this so soon.

Good luck. Take some pictures so I can see how it turned out.

I don't mind the threads whichever works for you. I have a make up artist. I'm gonna order all that stuff and then talk to her about it. Or I might talk to her first to see if she has some stuff. I was checking on Ben Nye's website and I see a character make up kit for old age. What is your opinion on those?

My kit has mostly Ben Nye products - they make a wide variety of great colors. That Old Age kit has most of the colors needed.

My number one suggestion is to get a makeup artist with some experience to do this job. Let her make all the choices regarding with product she wants to use.

My number two suggestion - if you are going to do it yourself - is to get the Old Age Ben Nye kit and follow my original step-by-step instructions minus the latex.

Don't forget to post some pictures!

That Ben Nye kit alone will not be everything you need to do a professional old age makeup. But it's a good start.

To be honest, the supplies aren't nearly as important as the skill and experience of the artist. Since I really can't help you with the application, all I can do is point you to the supplies:

Four makeup brushes of different sizes (flat, dome, angle and detail)- the more you have the more detailed choices you can make.
Powder brush
Six (or more) latex application sponges
Stipple sponges
Liquid Latex
Rigid Collodian
Wrinkle Stipple
Setting Powder
Makeup remover
Brush cleaner

Makeup
Two or three different shades of Base - choose correct color for actor
Ben Nye Color Wheel - CK-3, CK-7, CK-11
Lip color - choose correct color for actor
Eye liner
Teeth color
Hair color

These supplies are what I have in my kit. As I said, old age is pretty simple for any makeup artist, but it take a lot of time and practice to get good at it. Especially for video (I’m assuming you’re shooting on video) keep the colors and lines very, very subtle.

Figure on a couple of hours in the makeup chair - more, since this is your first time.

I think I have a good idea of what I'm looking for. That alone may suffice for knowledge and it may not, but only time can tell :)

Anyway, you have lip and teeth color... can you explain that? Also should I used alot of eye liner... or are you just mentioning items in your kit. Either way, you have helped to give me a good understanding of what I need to do... so thanks for that. I think I will do all right.

Many first time makeup artists overlook small things like lips and teeth. Older people don’t have the bright white teeth of a younger person. And you’ll want to change the color of the actors lips too. You won’t use the same makeup on the teeth and lips that you would use in the face - thus "teeth and lip" color.

And no. A big all caps NO! Don’t use a lot of eyeliner. Don’t use a lot of anything. As I said in my previous post, “Keep the colors and lines very, very subtle.”

Glad to help and I’m sure you’ll do just fine.

Please return the favor and post pictures of your makeup, okay?

I will definitely post pictures as soon as I can...

THANK YOU very much for all of your help... it's been awesome. I think I have just one final question... what is teeth make up? That stuff isn't edible is it?

Thanks again Rik

It's actually called tooth color. It's essentially make up for the teeth, used to change the color of an actors teeth. I wouldn't recommend eating it.

Back