Easiest mistakes to make

This question is nice and simple

During the entire filmmaking process, what do you think are the easiest mistakes to make on your first film?

Simple question, simple answers?

I'll tell you mine...
Lighting - not bright enough or placed in the correct positions (Just used the overhead room lights)

Sound - I just used the camera mic, not a good idea. Get an external, even if its the $20 Best Buy one.

Shots - There weren't enough angles or the camera stayed stationary. When there was dialog, there should have been multiple shots.

All I can say is... DO IT! Don't wait around, shoot a short and figure out your own faults and LEARN from them. That's the best thing about filmmaking. Increasing your skills by doing what you love is awesome!

So shoot it, cut it, display it.

- CootDog
Fly High
Live Large
Dream BIG!

My first and biggest mistake was editing. I spent a lot of time writing scripts and directing actors that I never took or booked the time to learn how to edit properly. Incidently, that's why nobody saw anything from me for the last board contest.

I agree, don't wait, shoot now, shoot often. Especially if you're using video you have no reason not to, since you can just re-use the tapes. Write a series of one acts and shoot those. Post what you finish so others who have a more unbiased opinion can tell you what's good and what needs work. It will also help you develop a thick skin about having your work critiqued.

Biggest mistake on first film?

Thinking you can wear all the hats at once.
smiley_creepy.gif

Delegation of jobs/tasks makes life so much simpler.

_______

Also... sound.

Never underestimate how easy it is to bork the sound. :lol:

_______

'sup, fellow Kiwi :cool:

the only thing I consider mistakes are those I don't learn from...analyze the movie objectively when finished and figure out what you did wrong (AND RIGHT!). Fix those mistakes next time.

Don't use a lot of locations, think limited areas you can use or have access to. Really understand your camera angles from far shots to close ups, will a far shot lead into a close up and visa versa.

Sound. Get an external mike, as stated before.

Do you have a good script written, and what makes it better than other films you have seen.

marcel

www.wordsallowmotion.com

A lot of the easiest point have been mentioned. The one that I can give you, which I am very proud that I didn't make a mistake on, was to have everything planned out as best as possible. Think up the shot lists, plan it at the locations. Think about how you want the characters to act/react to the whole script. Block your characters in your mind and possibly on paper. When you show up to the set it is essential that there is as little guesswork as possible. You want to have preproduction meetings with your crew, at LEAST a seperate read by your actors (where you can at least give them the initial direction). Just be ready. And then once you are all in place don't forget to direct your actors, tell them exactly what you want or if you want them to do their own version just give them their situation.

Re: Robert Rodriguez,

No, but he did wear a lot of them, and yes, in the proper hands at the proper time a very small crew can speed up the production (he crammed 3 weeks of shooting into 4 days when he learned he had to return his camera because it had been sold). That said, on most of his scenes he shot MOS. This means he didnt need a sound dept most days. He also shot one camera instead of two or three for action scenes, but in quick takes. This means he was able to be the only camera op. Most scenes had very very minimal light added. This means he could be his own DP/Gaffer. When you need more, you can't be in two places at once. You cant be setting up lights and testing sound at one time, therefore wearig too many hats will be slower not to mention a headache. Which is why on 95% of budgeted movies, the director watches a monitor and sometimes calls action/cut then talks with the talent and DP. 1st AD, Gaffers, Grips, Boom Ops, Camera Ops, wranglers, loaders, etc. all do the grunt work.

Last edited:
Basically I had to wear all the hats in my film. I had a camera guy in the beginning but he quickly dropped out because he has his own low buddie to start working on. Eventually I did find another camera man, but he lasted only a couple days, and then we was off to another province, but I did manage to keep some of the footage he shot for my film. My actress and me had to fill in the roles, because I couldn't get any actors. Thank goodness for the halloween wigs I saved from last year.

Then one actresses dropped out, an important role in act III of script. So once again with different costumes I got my main actress to play the role, but I did tell her to bring forth her best British accent. It worked. But since these was to be a twin character, I decided to make a pretend sister instead.

And for act III I met up with this supposedly actor, and wanted to fillm a role of half-brother to my main male character. Lo and behold a last second drop out. So then instead I wrote my character as 'ghost of the past.' My main character, formerly an alcoholic, gets drunk and conjures up image of his past self as a mask in the tree. They two characters end up in a conversation. I had to film this myself.

Eventually, I was wearing all the hats, caps, toques, wigs, and whatever else I could put on my head. Is for everyone, and can everyone do it, I say no. Was it difficult? Yes. Was it fun? Sometimes, sometimes not, it was a very challenging endeavour.

Would I do it again, probably not. If I had one more person to help me behind the camera that would of been fantastic, but that didn't happen.

List of hats I know of:
producer
director
actor
costumes
location scouting
script super
writer
cameraman
water (didn't really have to buy any food besides fluids)
editor

I know there are more, and I did them.

marcel

GoldFist said:
During the entire filmmaking process, what do you think are the easiest mistakes to make on your first film?

Easiest mistakes on a first film? -

1) Loading the camera wrong.
2) Forgetting to set the proper focus/exposure.
3) Not setting aside enough money to finish the job.
4) Forgetting to feed your cast & crew (they're all doing you a favor, after all).
5) Bad sound.
6) Panicking. Thinking this will be a disaster (if is, so what? Live and learn).

(edit) and come to think of it,

7) Damaging somebody's property. My old film teacher told about a a student film he ran in a private mansion with beautiful parquet floors. They set their tripods up and immediately scratched the floor. They were'nt invited back for a second day of shooting.

Last edited:
#1 - not using a good mic and boom operator
#2 - not using a good scripty

The first one will hurt the final project - the second one will hurt in the editing room.

asking your cast/crew to chip in to buy meal to feed everyone... ON a cheat, low budget feature film shoot.... Oh yes, this happened here in town with someone.. *sigh*

Hopefully with our comments that GoldFist doesn't give up his attempt to make a film now :)

good luck, it's all about learning, making some mistakes, and sometimes correcting them and sometimes not.

marcel

Last edited by a moderator:
Back