• READ BEFORE POSTING!
    • If posting a video, please post HERE, unless it is a video as part of an advertisement and then post it in this section.
    • If replying to threads please remember this is the Promotion area and the person posting may not be open to feedback.

watch HD Test scene from "Folk Lore"

Hi,

This is a rough, rough, rough cut edit (with no sound work or color correction, and fx still needing to be done), but I wanted to throw it out there for your perusal. Comments on pacing, shots, length, and what not are welcome. If you like the look of the footage, I am looking into renting out the HD rig. Here's a link to the post (since it is HD it will take a bit of time to load, probally 3-5 minutes)

http://www.prometheusmotionpictures.com/FL_for_hd_demomd.mov

Andrew
www.prometheusmotionpictures.com

184MB download in progress.
smiley_mono.gif

With a file that big, it had better not be in that new QT CoDec that PC-users don't have yet. :lol:

The Camera

This will seem obnoxious, but I'm going to list it anyway. It's the rental flyer we produced, but it explains the entire workflow (with specs), and otherwise, it would be alot to type that I already have done, so....

Prometheus Motion Pictures HD Rental Equipment Pricing:

Industry standard package:
1525/day
4575/week
18,300/month

Compare with

Our Package:
550/day
1600/week
6400/month

Details below.....

This package allows one to shoot DVCPRO HD in a truly lossless process. The package includes:

- A high definition Marshall V-RP65-HD 6.5 inch high definition monitor (for true HD camera monitoring),
- Sony HDC-X300 camera block, complete with corresponding Cannon VCL-719BXS 20x Optical zoom lens,
- Dual 2.5 Apple G5 capture system,
- Fluid head professional grade tripod
- Apple 23 inch HD studio monitor

This is a completely digital process, capturing footage directly to hard drives. This process saves both time and money in that one need not rent an HD deck at $700 per day to capture footage, nor buy HD tape stock. The only expense incurred by following this procedure will be the purchase of hard drives. 2 TB of space cost approximately $1600, which will store approximately 37 hours of industry standard DVCPRO HD footage. This process can then be used to natively edit within Final Cut Pro HD without additional hard drive or offline expenses.

This true HD package is comparable to an industry standard rental package costing $4575 per week or $18,300 per month. Consider using the savings generated by electing this package for purchase of a dual 2.7 GHZ G5 editing sweet with all the trimmings, while still coming out thousands ahead.

Screen grabs generated by this package are available upon request.

A rough cut (rough meaning about only 50% complete, with no color correction, sound work, etc...) can be found here.

www.prometheusmotionpictures.com/FL_for_hd_demomd.mov

Production insurance is required for rental of this equipment. However, several options may be discussed with Andrew or Jeff.

For more information on this package, please contact Andrew at Andrew@prometheusmotionpictures.com or Jeff at Jeff@prometheusmotionpictures.com

Oh, the scene above is in the same format as the trailers on apple.com, so everyone "should" be able to play them.

Andrew

Watched it. :cool:

I thought it was a self-contained short the first two times. Wasn't 'til I later visited the website that I read it was part of a much longer piece.

Surprisingly, it worked pretty well as an abstract short. (Well, I couldn't figure out how the first two seconds of it fit in but it's clear why now ;) )

Lots of symbolism it seems, even now knowing it's just a segment.

I'm not going to embarrass myself by explaining what I interpreted it as, when thinking it was a short. :blush:

I really didn't like the DOF decision, when the fellow is running in and out of focus. When he was all blurry, there was nothing else in view to hold/focus attention on. Though the end of that clip, when he suddenly zips back into focus, gave it an unusual look... there was just too long of a blurry mess inbetween.

The greens were really lush. That gave it a very foresty feel... almost a prehistoric feel. I know you said you're still doing colour correction, but I kinda liked it like that. :)

ADR'ing the whole thing? The actors seemed to be doing pretty well, and I'm sure they'll appear even better when their vocals get added.

_______

How accurate a depiction is that of HD, btw? It's been compressed with Sor3... pretty good in its own right, but there must have been a lot of detail lost when it was squished.

Zensteve,

Thanks for the feedback, I am glad you enjoyed it. It does work as a short, and it's kind of an abstract very short version of the entire piece. The scene is a (wait for it) "dream sequence" the character enters as a result of exhaustion. The DOF concern is valid, and I appreciate the feedback. Do to the rough state, we havent added in what fuels that shot, you will hear laughter coming from the different directions the character runs to (daughter laughter) and she appears as he comes back into focus. Video in general and HD in particular does very well with greens (and suffers with reds) but the HD picks up so much more info than DV that everything does just look better. The Sor3 compression was a great comprimise for size and quality, but there is still a very noticeable loss of quality from the original HD footage as seen in the studio. The whole thing won't be ADR'd, as the scene plays well with not being able to hear father's concern when things start to go down hill, but the dialogue you did hear will be replaced. I think honey you've got to go will leave, in favor of the simple and more distressed (urgent) "run!". Anyway, thanks for the feedback, and if you have anything else to add or questions let me know.

Andrew

P.S what was the symbolism you thought of? I would love to know....

what was the symbolism you thought of?

That remains between me and my psychiatrist.
smiley_creepy.gif

How about a much smaller version for people with slow connections, btw? It won't look near as great, but you'll have a wider audience able to see your little world.

:cool:

We actually never really made the scene to act as a trailer, but instead as a advertisement for the camera (we rent it out, see above). The scene isn't really a fair representation of the rest of the movie (darker, grittier), so I dont want to over publisize it and give the wrong impression. When the real trailer hits (soon) it will be in S, M, and L sizes, for an easier delivery (if desired).

I would still like to hear your thoughts on symbolism in the scene though. It's always fun to hear how people respond to it, and it's a very emtional scene on purpose (the final cut will be way better, there is one critical effect missing).

Take care,

Andrew

Back