Home

Go Back   IndieTalk - Indie Film Forum > Making The Film > Filmmaking Misc.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-31-2017, 08:11 AM   #1
jimbach
Basic Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Athens
Posts: 4
Are my ambitions realistic?

I am from Greece which doesn't have a big tv-filmaking industry. I want to work as a freelancer in films and TV and I was wondering if I could do it in projects around Europe, without living permanently in another country. Is it realistic? And if it is, how can it happen?
jimbach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today   #1A
film guy
Basic Member
 
Posts: 17

 
Old 12-31-2017, 11:43 AM   #2
Rayandmigdalia
Basic Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Florida
Posts: 272
You will have to pay for your own transportation and hotel. If you can do this and still make a profit, then it is possible.
Rayandmigdalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 11:50 AM   #3
indietalk
IndieTalk Founder
 
indietalk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: NYC
Posts: 10,887
In News, Sports or Fashion, sounds probable. Definitely need to pick a specialty and build a reel. I know fashion photogs/videographers for example that jet set between miami, paris, and other. Something in sports could def work. Football (soccer) is huge. Or I'm sure there are news jobs in your area.
indietalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 12:08 PM   #4
directorik
IndieTalk's Resident Guru
 
directorik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: hollywood
Posts: 9,451
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbach View Post
I am from Greece which doesn't have a big tv-filmaking industry. I want to work as a freelancer in films and TV and I was wondering if I could do it in projects around Europe, without living permanently in another country. Is it realistic? And if it is, how can it happen?
Sure it's realistic. More difficult than being what is called a
“local hire” but it can be done.

What do you do? Are you a grip? A camera operator? A makeup artist?
directorik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 04:42 PM   #5
Alcove Audio
Basic - Premiere Expired
 
Alcove Audio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Fairfield County, CT
Posts: 7,561
You have no chance what-so-ever.

Forget about the entertainment industry and get a "real" job.

Your ambitions are completely unrealistic and you will fail miserably.



Had enough? You can do anything you want to do as long as you have talent, discipline and desire. Don't ask others if you can, know that you can.

As long as you are organized, disciplined and work your ass off the rest is just process and details.
Alcove Audio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 09:41 AM   #6
jimbach
Basic Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Athens
Posts: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alcove Audio View Post
You have no chance what-so-ever.

Forget about the entertainment industry and get a "real" job.

Your ambitions are completely unrealistic and you will fail miserably.



Had enough? You can do anything you want to do as long as you have talent, discipline and desire. Don't ask others if you can, know that you can.

As long as you are organized, disciplined and work your ass off the rest is just process and details.
Thank you for that you are right! However, I am still in the process of working hard to gain knowledge and I have to know some things from people who know!
jimbach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 09:42 AM   #7
jimbach
Basic Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Athens
Posts: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by directorik View Post
Sure it's realistic. More difficult than being what is called a
“local hire” but it can be done.

What do you do? Are you a grip? A camera operator? A makeup artist?
VFX artist
jimbach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 03:28 PM   #8
Feutus Lapdance
Basic Member
 
Feutus Lapdance's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Nederland
Posts: 508
I don't know.... It depends on your responsibility's and freedom. I know Brandon Li can travel the world with what he does. Do you have examples of your work?
Feutus Lapdance is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 04:16 PM   #9
Alcove Audio
Basic - Premiere Expired
 
Alcove Audio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Fairfield County, CT
Posts: 7,561
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbach View Post
I am still in the process of working hard to gain knowledge and I have to know some things from people who know!
Do free work for those with zero budget projects to gain basic experience. Then work with other people who know more than you do for more in-depth knowledge. You will not be a successful freelancer until you have fairly substantial work experience behind you.
Alcove Audio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 02:19 PM   #10
jimbach
Basic Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Athens
Posts: 4
Of course! I am just trying to make some plans! Thank you for your advice!
jimbach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 03:26 PM   #11
WalterB
Basic Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Rotterdam Area, The Netherlands
Posts: 3,634
Like I mentioned before elsewhere:
you need a portfolio that stands out.
WalterB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 06:06 PM   #12
buscando
Basic Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: L.A.
Posts: 728
Maybe you can research what countries outside Greece have a lot of companies that do your kind of work. Be open to working on commercials too. It would be great if you had a friend or relative who lives near those companies & will let you stay with them.

Feutus Lapdance's example of Brandon Li is interesting. I don't know if Li's situation is very similar to yours, but he has some tips that can probably apply.
http://globalgirltravels.com/life-on...er-brandon-li/
buscando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 02:28 PM   #13
gorillaonabike
Basic Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: London
Posts: 1,614
More realistic than my ambition of becoming a superstar director...
gorillaonabike is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:47 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.


©IndieTalk