Home

Go Back   IndieTalk - Indie Film Forum > IndieTalk > Welcome!

Old 12-08-2017, 08:51 PM   #16
jax_rox
IndieTalk Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEVINDER83 View Post
Buddy, you seem to have lot of time finding chinks in my arguments rather than providing any real value to what im trying to achieve here. I have answered enough and your sarcasm is of no value or of interest to me.
I have been "running a successful' business already for your information, but GOD knows what you are doing on a friday night spending all your energy in just proving you are right.
Im done with you here and please with all your 'trying to help' comments, spare me.
I got your point!
Few things:

-This is a public forum, so all information I give out is to help others, not just you - and I hope any who might consider starting a production house does actually look into all the things I've mentioned as they will stand you in good stead for starting and running a business in this industry. You may have a lot of business experience, but others who come here may not and I would hate for them to assume that you need a physical location to start working.
-Not everyone lives in the US. This fine forum has members from all over the world. Some of us are on our weekend, but even so - you're here on a Friday night.
-You've not answered any of my questions to a sufficient level for me to help you with what you're looking for, as I've already pointed out. If you're interested in equipment, I would suggest posting here or starting a new thread that outlines what kind of usage the equipment will see and what your specific equipment budget is. Then I can help you with that.
-As a Moderator here, I must remind you to keep discussion civil.

Good luck with your business endeavour!

Last edited by jax_rox; 12-08-2017 at 08:54 PM.
jax_rox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today   #1A
film guy
Basic Member

Old 12-08-2017, 08:56 PM   #17
mussonman
Basic Member

I can't believe I've never thought of renting out equipment before. It's like reaping all the benefits of work during your down-time. (I think I'll look into doing this myself. Not a lot of filmmaking stuff going on around me, but you never know)

So, something else you could look to do is general photography and videography. Weddings, school photos, modeling, etc. Easy gigs, good chance to work with the equipment, and you'll want to have as many revenue streams as possible, just in case.

What's your ultimate passion? Making feature-length films or just about anything video related?
mussonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 09:08 PM   #18
jax_rox
IndieTalk Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mussonman View Post
I can't believe I've never thought of renting out equipment before. It's like reaping all the benefits of work during your down-time. (I think I'll look into doing this myself. Not a lot of filmmaking stuff going on around me, but you never know)
Dry-hires can be a great little income earner - just make sure you've got your insurance sorted.
jax_rox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 01:04 AM   #19
Sweetie
Basic Member

Quote:
Im done with you here and please with all your 'trying to help' comments, spare me.
No good deed goes unpunished here.

Quote:
He was neither Entrepreneur A or Entrepreneur B. He was Entrepreneur C, who spent a little bit of time finding the gap in the market and researching the kind of demand for it. That's what made him successful. It was being Entrepreneur B that got him into the original situation
It saddens me this isn't common sense.
Sweetie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 11:58 AM   #20
directorik
IndieTalk's Resident Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetie View Post
No good deed goes unpunished here.
So true.
directorik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 03:38 PM   #21
DEVINDER83
Basic Member

I apologize for my response earlier which perhaps crossed the line.
@mussonman, Yes, I will be certainly looking into wedding videos and event videos within my network in DC.
Well, like many here, ofcourse my ultimate passion is to make feature films, but telling stories through other forms (commercials, documentaries, corporate videos, short films etc) is also something I enjoy doing.

Last edited by DEVINDER83; 12-09-2017 at 03:40 PM.
DEVINDER83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 04:23 PM   #22
sfoster
IndieTalk Moderator

In my opinion, middle range cameras $1,000-$6,000 are the ones that get outdated the fastest.
Every year or two there's a new model or version coming out in this price range and for a rental house that means your cameras are quickly outdated. Something to be wary of.

Sometimes I wonder if anyone has just bought a used camera... filmed with it, and then sold it for the same price they bought it for.
Free rental?
sfoster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 06:00 PM   #23
DEVINDER83
Basic Member

That's true, given the volatility in the camera market. I would surely consider buying second hand cameras or gear if I can find them in good condition.
What's your opinion about Black Magic (URSA Mini 4.6K Camera) for the kind of work I will be doing most likely in the beginning (wedding videos, events and some corporate work)? I hear its more suited for truly low budget indie films.
Old 12-09-2017, 06:07 PM   #24
indietalk
IndieTalk Founder

Are you planning on being a one man show? Surely you can partner with or hire someone with the knowledge you seek. I mean sure you can ask here, but it seems like you'd want to partner up with someone with knowledge.

A chef with ideas for recipes needs a business partner to open a restaurant.
indietalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 06:10 PM   #25
sfoster
IndieTalk Moderator

You can get some great images from it.

I'd test it in low light, make sure you're covered if you're filming events and get stuck in a bad environment. Have at least one camera that can shine in low light filming
Old 12-09-2017, 06:13 PM   #26
DEVINDER83
Basic Member

Sure. Im looking to hire. Im certainly not hoping to be a one man show as im more of a director/producer than a dop or editor. I do have some basic technical knowledge, but surely need to collaborate. I'm working on hiring both an administrative person and technical person-or if im lucky someone who could do both.
Old 12-09-2017, 06:14 PM   #27
sfoster
IndieTalk Moderator

There's something in software development called agile development.

The idea is that instead of developing 100% of the product you develop the smallest component possible that will still provide value to your users. One piece of the puzzle that they can immediately start using, because then you get feedback as your software grows.

Maybe you can apply this methodology.
Instead of going all in... get one production package and test the waters filming events with it. Get some experience that will inform your next purchases.
Old 12-09-2017, 06:22 PM   #28
DEVINDER83
Basic Member

Yes, Im aware of Agile methodology.
I believe that's what Im heading towards. Thanks.
Old 12-10-2017, 05:55 AM   #29
Sweetie
Basic Member

Quote:
What's your opinion about Black Magic (URSA Mini 4.6K Camera) for the kind of work I will be doing most likely in the beginning (wedding videos, events and some corporate work)? I hear its more suited for truly low budget indie films.
From my understanding, BM cameras are fine for indie style shoots. Short films, maybe some commercial work. Netflix seems to like the camera, but how can you trust them? They seem to prefer it over the Alexa.

Weddings and Events are more suited to the Cxxx Canon cameras. Perhaps the F series Sony. I've actually never had much to do with the F series Sonys so get another persons opinion on that.

It sounds like you should look at getting a Canon C300 mk2. It'll cost you a pretty penny, but it should safely cover you for your list of what you want to shoot.

Cameras aren't exactly my area. Who you really need to ask if the guy you originally pissed off, Jax. Good luck in getting him to write a decent response after your treatment. It'd serve you right if he avoided you like the plague.
Sweetie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 09:02 AM   #30
El Director
Basic Member

I have the Ursa Mini 4K, and we have the 4.6K at work. They are fantastic cameras for narrative and commercial work. Basically any work where you have total control over the lighting. If I was doing events, they would not be my first choice at all. So yeah, I agree that they're great for indie films, but not so much for events.
El Director is online now   Reply With Quote