Home Your Ad Here

Go Back   IndieTalk - Indie Film Forum > Making The Film > Newbies

Old 11-23-2017, 04:41 AM   #1
PaulGoldberg
Basic Member

Help me understand this Masters Application please

Hi everybody,

I'm applying for a master in documentary film directing and I'm not so sure about my read of the requirements of the film. It should be a 3-minute film under the topic 'I see, I hear, I film'.
(1) The film shall underline a strong relationship with the surrounding reality.
(2) It shall focus on characters or places, and show a creative personal cinematic concept.

First question: do you think a portrait of my day as a business student with the dream of becoming a filmmaker, who currently is sidehustling with filmmaking on YouTube, would fit? (I have a pretty eventful and ritualised day)

Second question: I was thinking about doing a narration of the whole day, but we are only allowed to use sound from the shots - so do you think narration + original sound from the shoots could work out? (I only saw it with backgroundmusic + sound design + narration, so I'm unsure)

Thanks! Your help would me the world to me because I'm pretty unsure and this application determines the quality of my next 2 years.

Thanks again, Paul
PaulGoldberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today   #1A
film guy
Basic Member

Old 11-23-2017, 06:52 AM   #2
Filman
Basic Member

It doesn't really seem like a perfect fit to document your own life here. Make something that the TV would buy from you. Something for one of the shows you watch.
Filman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 07:50 AM   #3
Feutus Lapdance
Basic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filman View Post
It doesn't really seem like a perfect fit to document your own life here. Make something that the TV would buy from you. Something for one of the shows you watch.
agreed, make a story of 3 minutes that's more interesting..... something like how a person prepares for a contest would be ok. Making a ego-doc is hard unless your more of a eccentric. (graffiti artist, my little pony collector, games workshop master painter or a crocodile farmer) I'n a documentary we want to learn something new... and can connect with.

The question is what excites you beside of film making?
This is something I made last year that is 2:20 Its a small peek into the world of game boy DJ's.

Feutus Lapdance is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 05:19 PM   #4
jax_rox
IndieTalk Moderator

The school is looking for what ‘I see, I hear, I film’ means to you, and are simultaneously looking for how you’d structure a 3 minute narrative.

As a tip, everyone - both prospective and current students - who have no creative ideas end up writing an autobiographical story about being a filmmaker, or wanting to be a filmmaker. Do something different.

What does ‘I see, I hear, I film’ mean to you? Not just at a surface level. How you bring a story to that prompt is what they’re looking for.
jax_rox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 05:38 PM   #5
WalterB
Basic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jax_rox View Post
The school is looking for what ‘I see, I hear, I film’ means to you, and are simultaneously looking for how you’d structure a 3 minute narrative.

As a tip, everyone - both prospective and current students - who have no creative ideas end up writing an autobiographical story about being a filmmaker, or wanting to be a filmmaker. Do something different.

What does ‘I see, I hear, I film’ mean to you? Not just at a surface level. How you bring a story to that prompt is what they’re looking for.
This!
They want to see potential, they don't want to read your diary.
WalterB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 05:47 PM   #6
Filman
Basic Member

The most clever ones ask for good advice beforehand.
Filman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2017, 08:40 PM   #7
Alcove Audio
Basic - Premiere Expired

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulGoldberg View Post
First question: do you think a portrait of my day as a business student with the dream of becoming a filmmaker, who currently is sidehustling with filmmaking on YouTube, would fit? (I have a pretty eventful and ritualised day)
Doesn't seem to fit the criteria you put forth:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulGoldberg View Post
(1) The film shall underline a strong relationship with the surrounding reality.
(2) It shall focus on characters or places, and show a creative personal cinematic concept.
A relationship implies two (or more) people (characters) interacting, although a relationship can be with a non-human (animal, object, etc.).

I agree with previous posters that a "self-portrait" does not meet the criteria.

Don't limit yourself to human beings. What is the relationship between ________ and __________ near you? (People and wildlife in the park; cobra/mongoose; river and municipality; you get the idea.)

I worked a while back on a documentary about Russian and Chechen amputee soccer players who play on the same National team, many of whom lost their legs during the Russo-Chechen conflicts.

I was fascinated when I heard the story about two WWII veterans who met at a reception many years after the war. "I should let you know that I led the attack on Pearl Harbor." "That's okay, I commanded the aircraft that dropped the bomb on Hiroshima." Fuchida and Tibbets remained friends for the remainder of their lives.

Just some food for thought.
Alcove Audio is offline   Reply With Quote