Home Your Ad Here

Go Back   IndieTalk - Indie Film Forum > Making The Film > Newbies

Old 12-15-2017, 10:33 PM   #1
Lox-StoryConnective
Basic Member

Question Lavalier connector sound quality - XLR vs 3.5?

Hiya indies,
Is there any difference in sound quality between an XLR & 3.5mm lavalier microphone?
Is there any difference in sound quality between unbalanced low voltage plug-in power lavs & balanced phantom power lavs?
Which connector-to-recorder setup yields optimal quality audio?
Thanks in advance :-)
-n00bindie
Lox-StoryConnective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today   #1A
film guy
Basic Member

Old 12-16-2017, 07:08 AM   #2
Sweetie
Basic Member

Quote:
Which connector-to-recorder setup yields optimal quality audio?
When it comes to lavs, for the most part, the quality of the microphone and how it's used are the largest determining factors. The rest is picking the right tool for the right circumstance.
Sweetie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 03:26 PM   #3
Lox-StoryConnective
Basic Member

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetie View Post
When it comes to lavs, for the most part, the quality of the microphone and how it's used are the largest determining factors. The rest is picking the right tool for the right circumstance.
Cool, thanks for the response Sweetie.
How would a Countryman EMW Omnidirectional Lavalier Microphone for Digital Recorders with a 3.5 connector or a Oscar SoundTech Lavalier Microphone OST-802 with a 3.5 connector sound plugged into a Zoom H1?
Does anyone have any experience with this?
Thanks again :-)
Old 12-16-2017, 06:12 PM   #4
Sweetie
Basic Member

Quote:
How would a Countryman EMW Omnidirectional Lavalier Microphone for Digital Recorders with a 3.5 connector or a Oscar SoundTech Lavalier Microphone OST-802 with a 3.5 connector sound plugged into a Zoom H1?
It would sound like one of those lavs plugged into a H1. I've never run with that configuration, and I doubt I know anyone who has either. Not sure if it'll work, if it does, let us know how it goes and how it sounds.

You'll need to find out if you can live with the noise floor that comes with a recorder like the H1.
Old 12-16-2017, 07:45 PM   #5
Lox-StoryConnective
Basic Member

Question

Quote:
It would sound like one of those lavs plugged into a H1. I've never run with that configuration, and I doubt I know anyone who has either. Not sure if it'll work, if it does, let us know how it goes and how it sounds.

You'll need to find out if you can live with the noise floor that comes with a recorder like the H1.
Thanks again Sweetie,
I will update the thread with my experience if-when I decide this is the direction I'm going to go. More specifically, I would like to know if it the Countryman or OST will sound significantly better in the H1 than, say, the $20ish one I'm currently using with the H1.
Also, if it's worth it to just wait & get a Sound Devices MixPre & condenser XLR lavaliere for use with the MixPre's balanced XLR input. Obviously, this would be sound better & the MixPre can do a lot more than the H1, so they really can't be compared at all. But it would take me a lot longer to save up for the MixPre. The H1 seems to be a stop-gap in-between phase until I get the MixPre.
That said, I have had fairly good success easily equalizing out the noise floor of the H1 in post processing.
If-when I do upgrade to a Sound Devices MixPre, will a "broadcast quality brand" 3.5 lav sound as good as a "broadcast quality brand" XLR lav - given the same sound floor & preamp (the MixPre's)?

Last edited by Lox-StoryConnective; 12-16-2017 at 08:40 PM.
Old 12-16-2017, 08:55 PM   #6
Sweetie
Basic Member

Quote:
I would like to know if it the Countryman or OST will sound significantly better in the H1 than, say, the $20ish one I'm currently using with the H1.
I'll need to have a frame of reference to have a chance to answer that. How does that microphone sound compared to a piece of equipment I'm familiar with I once picked up a few $1 lavs from ebay. They sound like crap. How do they sound compared to yours?

Quote:
will a "broadcast quality brand" 3.5 lav sound as good as a "broadcast quality brand" XLR lav
These are simply connections. Generally speaking, since the length of the cables is negligible, they don't usually affect the quality.

Quote:
Also, if it's worth it to just wait & get a Sound Devices MixPre & condenser XLR lavaliere for use with the MixPre's balanced XLR input. Obviously, this would be sound better & the MixPre can do a lot more than the H1, so they really can't be compared at all. But it would take me a lot longer to save up for the MixPre. The H1 seems to be a stop-gap in-between phase until I get the MixPre.
It sounds like you're trying to determine what's a good solution for you. Impossible to tell without context.

In some circumstances, I'd say you'd be going higher than needed (in some cases you'll be able to get away with a $50 Rode Lav and your phone), in other circumstances I'd say you're nuts going for such a cheap solution such as the SD MixPre3 that you'll outgrow in a matter of months.

You might get better answers if you tell us what you're trying to achieve and what you already have.
Old Yesterday, 08:31 AM   #7
AcousticAl
Basic Member

Quote:
It sounds like you're trying to determine what's a good solution for you. Impossible to tell without context.
This.

What kind of production are you doing? At least, what’s your primary target? Corporate videos? Mostly seated interviews? Walk-and-talks? Narratives like short films?

The setups you’re considering may be completely wrong for what you’re wanting to accomplish. Or maybe not. No way to know until we know what you’re trying to do.
AcousticAl is offline   Reply With Quote