Home Your Ad Here

Go Back   IndieTalk - Indie Film Forum > Making The Film > Screenwriting

Old 11-08-2017, 07:27 PM   #16
jax_rox
IndieTalk Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevencwood View Post
Remember Ex Machina and how Nathan started to explain how Ava's brain worked to Caleb? I have that sort of stuff going on which requires research on my part.
Do you mean this scene?

To me that works - it's a 'technology' that doesn't exist per se, and the way he explains it more or less make sense, so I buy that. It's a stretch for sure, but I think in the context of the film it works.

I don't buy things that you sometimes see in procedurals or other tv shows where they might ask how someone hacked into their computer and the answer is just as much jargon as you can fit to make it sound 'computery' - for example 'I backdoored into your firewall through the FTP so I could boot from the trojan I downloaded into your CPU. Once I got through the CAT5 to your modem and installed the ROM on your server infecting your RAM, it was all over.'
jax_rox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today   #1A
film guy
Basic Member

Old 11-08-2017, 07:37 PM   #17
stevencwood
Basic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jax_rox View Post
Do you mean this scene?

To me that works - it's a 'technology' that doesn't exist per se, and the way he explains it more or less make sense, so I buy that. It's a stretch for sure, but I think in the context of the film it works.

I don't buy things that you sometimes see in procedurals or other tv shows where they might ask how someone hacked into their computer and the answer is just as much jargon as you can fit to make it sound 'computery' - for example 'I backdoored into your firewall through the FTP so I could boot from the trojan I downloaded into your CPU. Once I got through the CAT5 to your modem and installed the ROM on your server infecting your RAM, it was all over.'
Yup that’s it. In my story, a company named New Life has found a way to bring a person back to life within 48 hours of initial death. There are rules, obviously. The tech keeps them alive, this is important. The misconduct comes in the form of someone “switching off” the tech to avoid a catastrophic failure. See the cold open for the potential catastrophic failure.

So basically, to protect the prototype of this breakthrough, the lead engineer who designed this back door kill switch (which wasn’t disclosed to the FDA during pre market approval) turned off the tech and resulted in the death of mister Chavez.

The stuff with the eye, I’m keeping to myself because I don’t want to give it all away. The major theme here is what do we do if the person that designed the greatest medical breakthrough in history commits murder to protect the tech? The defense will have an interesting time making the jury feel sorry for this engineer rather that this dead test subject. All criminal charges will result in the termination of further research within the company.
stevencwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 08:14 PM   #18
jax_rox
IndieTalk Moderator

A Few Good Men meets Black Mirror - I like it.
Old 11-08-2017, 08:16 PM   #19
stevencwood
Basic Member

Quote:
A Few Good Men meets Black Mirror - I like it.
Essentially. But flashbacks will take the place of most testimony.

Imagine he lawyer asking the witness a question, they start speaking and then fade to another scene but with VO, then the characters on screen begin to speak. This will be reversed when the testimony wraps.

I have bits and pieces written, including the procedure when mister Chavez is brought back to life.

Also, a lot of the stuff I’m talking about won’t even be shown, rather mentioned in court. The engineer will be questioned regarding the FDA approval process and what not.

Since this is a criminal case and I’m writing from the point of the defense, I need to craft that moment when the lawyers realize their client is guilty. The lawyers will be New Life’s own legal team.

Last edited by stevencwood; 11-08-2017 at 08:38 PM.
Old 11-09-2017, 01:36 AM   #20
Aspiring Mogul
Basic Member

Quote:
Imagine he lawyer asking the witness a question, they start speaking and then fade to another scene but with VO, then the characters on screen begin to speak. This will be reversed when the testimony wraps.
You should get a mini-conference with an experienced litigator (or two) to go through the cross-examination scenes with a director and actors.
Aspiring Mogul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 07:35 AM   #21
stevencwood
Basic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aspiring Mogul View Post
You should get a mini-conference with an experienced litigator (or two) to go through the cross-examination scenes with a director and actors.
Thatís a good idea and Iíve reached out to a couple different lawyers but havenít heard anything back yet. I have a slow day a work today, so Iíll try to knock out the first 20 pages or so and see whatís what. I think by then, I should be entering the court room for the first time.
Old 11-09-2017, 04:31 PM   #22
stevencwood
Basic Member

I wrote out the opening statements, I think I'm missing some of the procedural stuff but let me know what you guys think.

I'm writing from the prosecution point of view, and they don't have all of the evidence yet as someone will come forward with additional information. Yes, this is similar to A Few Good Men, but I'm fine with that.

Secondly I'm trying to go for a sympathetic defense. The defense's strategy is basically "yes, our client is guilty of somethings, but what he's created outweighs that." So in the end, I'm pretty sure I'm letting this guy off the hook. The message I want to convey is that of "this man is far too important to the future of science to spend time in jail."

It would be like if Elon Musk was on trial for murder while he's in the middle of curing cancer.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1aO...We9njL2SbpC1T8

Last edited by stevencwood; 11-09-2017 at 06:08 PM.
Old 11-09-2017, 10:44 PM   #23
jax_rox
IndieTalk Moderator

Quote:
It would be like if Elon Musk was on trial for murder while he's in the middle of curing cancer.
Wait, so in the future rich white men get put on trial and have the potential to actually go to jail...??!!

Old 11-09-2017, 10:47 PM   #24
stevencwood
Basic Member

Quote:
Wait, so in the future rich white men get put on trial and have the potential to actually go to jail...??!!

I want this to be bittersweet and pretty realistic. 12 people will more than likely let someone off the hook if they can pptentially gain something from it. Thatís the entire strategy of the defense - reminding he jury that their client is guilty in some regard but the greater good outweighs that.
Old 11-10-2017, 02:03 AM   #25
jax_rox
IndieTalk Moderator

I'm only messing
Old 11-10-2017, 07:07 AM   #26
stevencwood
Basic Member

Quote:
I'm only messing
Oh I get it.
Old 11-14-2017, 12:47 PM   #27
HKB
Basic Member

I was thinking the same. Very good advice!

Quote:
You may want to watch the following movies:

1 Inherit the Wind
2. A Few Good Men
3. Twelve Angry Men
4. The Music Box.

Star Trek also had a few good episodes involving courtroom dramas.

Also watch the 1980's series, "LA Law", and, though I haven't watched "Boston Legal", it's probably helpful.

You should also speak to a few trial lawyers, to get their ideas, and attend a few trials.

I'm a trial lawyer, for what that's worth.
HKB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 12:31 AM   #28
Alcove Audio
Basic - Premiere Expired

Quote:
1 Inherit the Wind
2. A Few Good Men
3. Twelve Angry Men
4. The Music Box.
I might also recommend:

To Kill a Mockingbird
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0056592/

Anatomy of a Murder
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0052561/

The Accused
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0094608/

In Cold Blood
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0061809/
Alcove Audio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 08:23 AM   #29
mlesemann
IndieTalk Moderator

Two of my favorites:
Presumed Innocent
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0100404/combined

A Civil Action
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0120633/combined

Presumed Innocent was written by attorney turned novelist Scott Turow while A Civil Action is based on a non-fiction book of the same name.
mlesemann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 08:35 AM   #30
stevencwood
Basic Member

Which is the movie that starts out with a kid witnessing a murder on some road in the middle of dense trees? Is it The Witness?