WHO TWEETS THAT??
sfoster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today   #1A
film guy
Basic Member

Old 12-15-2017, 08:58 AM   #77
mlesemann
IndieTalk Moderator

Someone with a guilty conscience, looking for absolution?
mlesemann is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 09:42 AM   #78
sfoster
IndieTalk Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlesemann View Post
Someone with a guilty conscience, looking for absolution?
Yeah it's like the tell tale heart.
Big mistake looking to the internet for absolution, to go a priest or something.

The internet is out for blood.
Old 12-17-2017, 08:16 AM   #79
sfoster
IndieTalk Moderator

"Sources say everyone in Spurlock's orbit - including filmmakers and networks he is in business with - was blindsided by the post and began scrambling to distance themselves."

YEEEEAH that's one way to put it.

"Super Size Me 2: Holy Chicken!, which marks a follow up to Spurlock's Oscar-nominated Super Size Me, sold to YouTube Red at the Toronto Film Festival in September for $3.5 million. "

"YouTube Red, which was to distribute the film, also had a change of heart. YouTube said Friday it would not release the film, according to the Hollywood Reporter."

Yup sell a movie for 3.5 million and then make it so no one wants anything to do with it.
Talk about screwing over the people who bet on you.

"Who Rules the World, an unscripted series focusing on women’s issues according to Variety, has halted production at TNT"

“In light of Morgan’s recent revelations, we agreed to end his association with ‘The Devil We Know,'” producer Kristin Lazure said in a statement. She said she hoped to keep the focus on the film, which explores the effects of toxic chemical pollution

Last edited by sfoster; 12-17-2017 at 08:25 AM.
Old 12-22-2017, 03:29 PM   #80
sfoster
IndieTalk Moderator

http://abcnews.go.com/Entertainment/...ry?id=51792548

Matt Damon said

Quote:
I think we’re in this watershed moment. I think it’s great. I think it’s wonderful that women are feeling empowered to tell their stories, and it’s totally necessary … I do believe that there’s a spectrum of behavior, right? And we’re going to have to figure — you know, there’s a difference between, you know, patting someone on the butt and rape or child molestation, right? Both of those behaviors need to be confronted and eradicated without question, but they shouldn’t be conflated, right? You know, we see somebody like Al Franken, right? — I personally would have preferred if they had an Ethics Committee investigation, you know what I mean? It’s like at what point — you know, we’re so energized to kind of get retribution, I think.
And we live in this culture of outrage and injury, and, you know, that we’re going to have to correct enough to kind of go, “Wait a minute. None of us came here perfect.” You know what I mean? … The Louis C.K. thing, I don’t know all the details. I don’t do deep dives on this, but I did see his statement, which kind of, which [was] arresting to me. When he came out and said, “I did this. I did these things. These women are all telling the truth.” And I just remember thinking, “Well, that’s the sign of somebody who — well, we can work with that” … Like, when I’m raising my kids, this constant personal responsibility is as important as anything else they learn before they go off in the world.
And the fear for me is that right now, we’re in this moment where at the moment — and I hope it doesn’t stay this way — the clearer signal to men and to younger people is, deny it. Because if you take responsibility for what you did, your life’s going to get ruined …
I mean, look, as I said, all of that behavior needs to be confronted, but there is a continuum. And on this end of the continuum where you have rape and child molestation or whatever, you know, that’s prison. Right? And that’s what needs to happen. OK? And then we can talk about rehabilitation and everything else. That’s criminal behavior, and it needs to be dealt with that way. The other stuff is just kind of shameful and gross, and I just think … I don’t know Louis C.K.. I’ve never met him. I’m a fan of his, but I don’t imagine he’s going to do those things again. You know what I mean? I imagine the price that he’s paid at this point is so beyond anything that he — I just think that we have to kind of start delineating between what these behaviors are.
And the backlash keeps growing for him.
Now there is a petition to remove him from oceans 8.

I do think that there's a huge difference between what Harvey was doing and what these other violators have done. And in that sense I understand where matt is coming from.

And damn matt hit the nail on the head with this one, morgan spurlock should have listened to him

"And the fear for me is that right now, we’re in this moment where at the moment — and I hope it doesn’t stay this way — the clearer signal to men and to younger people is, deny it. Because if you take responsibility for what you did, your life’s going to get ruined … "

People aren't interested in integrity or personal growth from mistakes. People aren't forgiving, do not show any weakness.
Lie your way to the top and deny deny deny.

Last edited by sfoster; 12-22-2017 at 03:31 PM.
Old 12-22-2017, 04:36 PM   #81
mlesemann
IndieTalk Moderator

How about this -
Just don't do it.
Why is that so hard?
Old 12-23-2017, 01:07 AM   #82
buscando
Basic Member

True mlesemann, Matt's not showing any sound bite training. Those few paragraphs of Matt's can give the impression that he's encouraging guilty people to deny, instead of him just making the observation that conditions right now make denying more favorable. I imagine a lot of people don't have the patience to read a whole article or watch a 16 min. video.

He could've said that because he's good friends with Ben Affleck, whose brother Casey could've been very regretful after 2 women who worked for him in 2010 said he sexually harassed them while he was drunk. I think I read that Matt, Ben, & the studio did everything they could to settle the suit & keep it quiet so it wouldn't hurt Casey's nomination for Manchester By The Sea. Matt's in a tough spot. He has to condemn the act even stronger to make things right in people's eyes. But then they can ask him about Casey.
buscando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2017, 03:46 AM   #83
sfoster
IndieTalk Moderator

Quote:
How about this -
Just don't do it.
Why is that so hard?
Just don't assault people sexually? That's not a difficult thing for most people with a conscience.

But I think matts quote applies to ALL mistakes and you can't say "just don't make mistakes" because mistakes happen, people aren't perfect. Everytime trump was accused of stuff he would deny it and it made him bullet proof. If he came out and apologized he might not have been elected president, that's some truth to what matt is saying about our current climate.

If people were accepting of morgan spurlock and gave him credit for trying to be part of the solution that would send a message about personal integrity. Instead everyone has distanced themselves from him, he's lost his job, etc, because he was too honest about his past. At the same time though you have to judge people for their actions and it's not right to give someone a free pass just because they came clean about it. IDK if any of the information here is actionable for me but it's an interesting observation.

Last edited by sfoster; 12-23-2017 at 03:49 AM.
Old 12-23-2017, 12:20 PM   #84
buscando
Basic Member

Yes, being drunk makes more mistakes happen, but it doesn't lessen the harm he did to her. Psychological pain can last longer than physical pain. He's aware of that if he was sexually abused as a kid & suffered depression on & off since 13. He was continuing the cycle of abuse. In the long run maybe it's a good thing he came out. At some point in time I think people will be more forgiving. It just might take a long time.

It's interesting though how stuff like this, or N. Korea, or other big news captures public attention. It certainly takes my mind away from the new tax bill or net neutrality having ended.
Old 12-23-2017, 02:10 PM   #85
WalterB
Basic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by buscando View Post
It's interesting though how stuff like this, or N. Korea, or other big news captures public attention. It certainly takes my mind away from the new tax bill or net neutrality having ended.
Although we should stay away from politics: yeah, you got screwed by representatives of big money.

Nevertheless: the metoo discussion is a good thing as it helps us to create a better world.
WalterB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2017, 02:30 PM   #86
WalterB
Basic Member

Quote:
How about this -
Just don't do it.
Why is that so hard?
+1434535256245252342

Just be nice to each other and respect other people

Old 12-23-2017, 04:43 PM   #87
mlesemann
IndieTalk Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by WalterB: Just be nice to each other and respect other people
Exactly.
Old 12-23-2017, 08:52 PM   #88
sfoster
IndieTalk Moderator

Its a nice sentiment but keep in mind that humans are the number one predator on the entire planet. You've got to keep your guard up around strangers and that's never going to change.
Old 12-24-2017, 01:15 AM   #89
buscando
Basic Member

Quote:
+1434535256245252342
What are those numbers for, WalterB?
Old 12-24-2017, 05:52 AM   #90
WalterB
Basic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by buscando View Post
What are those numbers for, WalterB?
It is a bit more than +1

Or it is a secret code to find the answer to the greatest questions in the universe :-p