Home Your Ad Here

Go Back   IndieTalk - Indie Film Forum > The Biz > Hollywood

Old 10-09-2017, 03:00 PM   #1
sfoster
IndieTalk Moderator

Harvey Weinstein fired from The Weinstein Co.

After decades of sexual harassment claims and paying off the accusers, cofounder of miramax films Harvey Weinstein has been terminated from his position at the Weinstein Co., according to a statement from the board of directors on Sunday.

The Weinstein Co.’s board of directors said that “new information” about the executive’s conduct informed their decision.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.6bc9cf752106

"Actress Ashley Judd, the most high-profile of the women to speak on record, alleged that, under the pretense of a business meeting, the producer and studio head asked her if she would watch him shower, or if he could give her a massage."

This dude was so powerful he can blacklist you throughout all of hollywood with a word
"You'll never work in this town again!!" is a threat few people can actually make for real and follow through with, that's not someone you can say no to very easily.

Are they going to change the company name or remain the weinstein company?
That's not a very good legacy to be named after him.
sfoster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today   #1A
film guy
Basic Member

Old 10-09-2017, 03:11 PM   #2
mlesemann
IndieTalk Moderator

His brother (Bob Weinstein) co-founded it and is still there, so they may keep the name. But yes I think it would be better to re-brand themselves with a completely different name.
mlesemann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 10:39 PM   #3
Blade_Jones
Basic - Premiere Expired

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfoster View Post
After decades of sexual harassment claims
And Hollywood has been looking the other way because he supports the democrat party. Typical Hollywood hypocrisy.
Blade_Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 11:08 PM   #4
buscando
Basic Member

Was he doing something for Time Warner Cable?
buscando is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 12:08 AM   #5
indietalk
IndieTalk Founder

TWC = The Weinsten Co. not Time Warner Cable
indietalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 01:23 AM   #6
jax_rox
IndieTalk Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blade_Jones View Post
And Hollywood has been looking the other way because he supports the democrat party. Typical Hollywood hypocrisy.
I'm loath to get political on here, but I would suggest that if people have been looking the other way the reason has very little to do with which political party he supports.

Personally, I hope more come out and bring the sexual harassment in Hollywood to light - and in turn hopefully bring about some kind of change. That things like this continue to happen is disgraceful.
jax_rox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 08:18 PM   #7
buscando
Basic Member

People look the other way because really, who'd want to see Harvey take a shower?
But unfortunately this happens a lot. I've read sexual harrassment stories with Schwarzenneger, Seagal, Trump, etc. Just think of the people we don't hear about because they're not public figures.
When some people get power, they start to think they're special & can bend morality to fit their own wants. They'll keep doing it as long as they keep getting away with it.
Old 10-11-2017, 12:34 AM   #8
Scoopicman
Premiere Member

Now, his wife is leaving him. His world is truly crumbling.
Old 10-11-2017, 01:49 AM   #9
Feutus Lapdance
Basic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoopicman View Post
Now, his wife is leaving him. His world is truly crumbling.
Sounds like a good movie idea
Feutus Lapdance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 03:43 AM   #10
WalterB
Basic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by buscando View Post
........They'll keep doing it as long as they keep getting away with it.
Sadly, this sums up a big part of human history.
Whether it is war, exploitation, harasment, thievery, mutulation, violence, etc.
WalterB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 12:01 PM   #11
indietalk
IndieTalk Founder

Title changed from: Time Warner Cable
To: The Weinstein Co.
indietalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 01:40 PM   #12
sfoster
IndieTalk Moderator

Yeah i screwed up that title. I'm not sure if it was the article I read or my own confusion of the TWC abbreviation.

New article
https://www.newyorker.com/news/news-...ir-stories/amp

Here are some more details.. this story led to the resignation of four members of his company’s all-male board.

There are at least 13 women that are making accusations

Three women use the word rape

"In an audio recording captured during a New York Police Department sting operation in 2015 and made public here for the first time, Weinstein admits to groping a Filipina-Italian model named Ambra Battilana Gutierrez"

"Four actresses, including Mira Sorvino and Rosanna Arquette, told me they suspected that, after they rejected Weinstein’s advances or complained about them to company representatives, Weinstein had them removed from projects or dissuaded people from hiring them"

"Multiple sources said that Weinstein frequently bragged about planting items in media outlets about those who spoke against him; these sources feared that they might be similarly targeted. Several pointed to Gutierrez’s case, in 2015: after she went to the police, negative items discussing her sexual history and impugning her credibility began rapidly appearing in New York gossip pages. (In the taped conversation with Gutierrez, Weinstein asks her to join him for “five minutes,” and warns, “Don’t ruin your friendship with me for five minutes.”)"

Some really messed up stuff. There are detailed stories about the rape accusations in the article.

In his defense

"Any allegations of non-consensual sex are unequivocally denied by Mr. Weinstein. Mr. Weinstein has further confirmed that there were never any acts of retaliation against any women for refusing his advances. Mr. Weinstein obviously can’t speak to anonymous allegations, but with respect to any women who have made allegations on the record, Mr. Weinstein believes that all of these relationships were consensual. "
Old 10-11-2017, 04:16 PM   #13
sfoster
IndieTalk Moderator

This is interesting

http://movieweb.com/cara-delevingne-...exual-assault/
Cara declined his advancements and he still gave her the part.

And two big names are throwing their allegations into the ring
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/10/10/u...weinstein.html

Gwyneth and Jolie.

Part of me thinks ... why can't we take the other women as seriously?
why the hell do celebrity actresses have more credibility than these other women?

Some celebrities are idiots, some are totally crazy, but from what little I know of Jolie she seems to be a great person.

Gwyneth says "We’re at a point in time when women need to send a clear message that this is over,” Ms. Paltrow said. “This way of treating women ends now.” But I think that is narrowing the scope of the problem. It's not just women. There are quite a few stories around baltimore (house of cards area) about kevin spacey and his inappropriate actions with young men.

Last edited by sfoster; 10-11-2017 at 04:47 PM.
Old 10-11-2017, 06:02 PM   #14
buscando
Basic Member

He probably wanted Cara so much he was willing to wait for a 2nd opportunity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfoster View Post
Part of me thinks ... why can't we take the other women as seriously?
why the hell do celebrity actresses have more credibility than these other women?
Maybe people empathize more with celebs because it Seems like they know them, as opposed to non-celebs that they have no connection with.

Quote:
There are quite a few stories around baltimore (house of cards area) about kevin spacey and his inappropriate actions with young men.
Damn, men are so horny. The exceptional ones have the confidence/aggressiveness/talent to gain a level of success but it's so easy to just go over the rails.
Old 10-11-2017, 06:13 PM   #15
sfoster
IndieTalk Moderator

this isn't about libido.

these people we're talking about all have very attractive WILLING options
no. what these people are looking for is that rush they get when they make someone else a victim