Home Your Ad Here

Go Back   IndieTalk - Indie Film Forum > Tools of the Trade > Computers/Software

Old 09-07-2017, 05:31 PM   #16
Sweetie
Basic Member

Yes, I know. It's abundantly clear. You still don't get it.

The penny may drop eventually, but it may be a little too advanced a topic for you to grasp. It's a little sad as it's not a complex topic to start with.
Sweetie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today   #1A
film guy
Basic Member

Old 09-07-2017, 05:44 PM   #17
indietalk
IndieTalk Founder

No need for insults.
indietalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 09:58 PM   #18
sfoster
IndieTalk Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Modern Day Myth Prod. LLC View Post
What we do know from the test results is for those members in this forum who have the luxury of not worrying about budgets because they have big studios to buy the equipment and software for them, they can invest in an $8,000 18 core iMac and edit 4K faster than someone with a $2,000 quad core iMac with 4K. Yes, there is performance waste without software support. But, hardware always will improve performance to some degree.

I've had a really long two days, I don't want to read those links.
But absolutely if you spend more money you can upgrade your tech better.

In my limited experience the GPU is the bottleneck of my postproduction that's where I'd turn my attention.

Upgrade a great GPU IMO
Even if you get a totally different computer in the future you can still put your great GPU inside that new computer.

Last edited by sfoster; 09-07-2017 at 10:01 PM.
sfoster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 04:40 PM   #19
Modern Day Myth Prod. LLC
Premiere Member

Insults happen when the one doing the insults loses the debate.
Modern Day Myth Prod. LLC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 02:09 AM   #20
Sweetie
Basic Member

Quote:
In my limited experience the GPU is the bottleneck of my postproduction that's where I'd turn my attention.

Upgrade a great GPU IMO
Even if you get a totally different computer in the future you can still put your great GPU inside that new computer.
The circumstances where this is true are growing though it does depend if you're using gpu accelerated effects and/or codecs that utilize the GPU. A great majority of the time as a PP editor you'll find your GPU is never taxed and an upgrade is often a waste of money.

Quote:
the one doing the insults loses the debate.
Modern, just stop. I do this for a living. You don't even use PP. You misunderstood an article in how it applies to current CPUs. You don't know you lost.
Old 09-09-2017, 12:50 PM   #21
Modern Day Myth Prod. LLC
Premiere Member

Sweetie,

I have to resolve computer and software issues for people as my living. And, one of my client bases are artists and designers. As much as they know their art, they don't understand computers, software, and networks. It is our common practice to pull up charts like I did to show lab tests on software performance with software with different platforms and environments. As you said on this board, you lost a job telling an employer where to shove HitFilm. Some artists learn from that experience. Those who are hard headed never do and lose more work in the future.

And, as much as you stereotype HitFilm for beginners, on a VFx group that I joined on Facebook, I discovered professional VFx artists are using HitFilm for television networks and one for a multi-million dollar film. There are many who like AE and PP. But, others are adopting to HitFilm because their jobs require it.

As an editor told me years ago who worked in Canal Plus for years, "I'm an editor. Software is my tool. I can learn any editing software."

Last edited by Modern Day Myth Prod. LLC; 09-09-2017 at 01:24 PM.
Modern Day Myth Prod. LLC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 02:12 PM   #22
sfoster
IndieTalk Moderator

You guys should take it to PM and lets keep this thread focused on helping the OP
sfoster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 06:39 PM   #23
Sweetie
Basic Member

Quote:
I have to resolve computer and software issues for people as my living.
Why aren't you better at it?

Quote:
As you said on this board, you lost a job telling an employer where to shove HitFilm.
Never lost a job due to it. I did tell a client to shove his hitfilm for editing and proceeded to produce work that exceeded all their previous work.

Quote:
...show lab tests on software performance with software with different platforms and environments.
Looking it up is useless when you fail to understand the data correctly, you then apply it elsewhere and make mistakes.

This is part of the reason you and h44 struggle to make headway in filming. You both think you know better and make it harder for yourselves. You both constantly refuse to accept the advice of professionals around you and struggle more than required.

Quote:
And, as much as you stereotype HitFilm for beginners, on a VFx group that I joined on Facebook, I discovered professional VFx artists are using HitFilm for television networks and one for a multi-million dollar film. There are many who like AE and PP. But, others are adopting to HitFilm because their jobs require it.

As an editor told me years ago who worked in Canal Plus for years, "I'm an editor. Software is my tool. I can learn any editing software."
You can edit on Photoshop too. No one in their right mind does it. Most professionals use Nuke/Maya for their VFX. None of them push those tools to edit. Right tools for the right job. As soon as you apply that concept, you'll move in the right direction faster.

Quote:
You guys should take it to PM and lets keep this thread focused on helping the OP
No need, I'm done with MDM. He's trying to get nasty and I have better things to do with my time. If the OP comes back and asks more questions, I'll answer. I hope others don't maliciously steer him in the wrong direction in the mean time.