Home

Go Back   IndieTalk - Indie Film Forum > Making The Film > DIY

Old 08-16-2017, 01:22 PM   #16
buscando
Basic Member

If you don't have enough money & crew to get the audio right on the shoot, you don't have much choice. But the external mic attached to the camera is usually better than the built-in mic.

I would suggest doing a 1 to 2 min. scene at the location as a test. Do a scene where you have people close to & far away from the mic. Do it with your camera mic, & then with the external mic attached to the camera, & then other mics if you can borrow. You won't know what works & what's acceptable to you until you hear the audio in the edit yourself. Compare the sound in your edit with Blair Witch or whatever film you like. You'll figure out whether you prefer running your audio through noise reduction apps, or doing ADR, or getting good audio at the beginning. Fixing the audio in post can double your editing time (at least) so you want to avoid that on a long film.

Or since you're starting out, just jump in & maybe you just want to focus on the images & you'll work on better sound in the future. Keeping the dialog to a minimum will help. Either way, I would suggest keeping this film really short so you can learn what you can from it & get better for the next one.
buscando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today   #1A
film guy
Basic Member

Old 08-16-2017, 11:01 PM   #17
AlmostNormal
Basic Member

I've been making low to no-budget films for the past several years, and as a result worked with some inexperienced crew. Sound was always pain to fix in post and ended up being cheaper to invest a little money up front than to fix in post.

Last edited by AlmostNormal; 08-16-2017 at 11:04 PM.
AlmostNormal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 11:20 PM   #18
Alcove Audio
Basic - Premiere Expired

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlmostNormal View Post
Sound was always pain to fix in post and [it] ended up being cheaper to invest a little money up front than to fix in post.
!!!!!!

When it comes to low/no/mini/micro budget projects every dollar/minute you spend on production sound saves you 10 dollars/minutes in audio post. Cleaning up and repairing poor production sound without the expansive toys (i.e. Cedar systems) is very time consuming. That's what eats up your audio post budget. It becomes a rescue mission rather than a creative process.
Alcove Audio is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 11:39 PM   #19
AlmostNormal
Basic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alcove Audio View Post
!!!!!!

When it comes to low/no/mini/micro budget projects every dollar/minute you spend on production sound saves you 10 dollars/minutes in audio post. Cleaning up and repairing poor production sound without the expansive toys (i.e. Cedar systems) is very time consuming. That's what eats up your audio post budget. It becomes a rescue mission rather than a creative process.
Absolutely!
AlmostNormal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 06:22 AM   #20
Feutus Lapdance
Basic Member

You cant fix everything with adobe audition. Sometimes bad audio makes your material unusable.
Feutus Lapdance is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 11:28 PM   #21
GilaVista
Basic Member

When in doubt ADR.

It sounds bad on paper, but there were long periods of time where directors would simply film with no sound and then get another actor to do the voice in post. It eliminates sampling problems at least. Italian directors in the 70s and 80s would do this a lot. They had certain actors in mind visually, but they had thick accents. It's a dead give away that the movie is from that time period.

I have seen some bad examples. I was watching the final episode of the Twilight Zone and there were two different voices for the actress. One for the inside on a sound stage and the other for the outside.

That isn't to say that ADR couldn't improve a movie like Birdemic.

Last edited by GilaVista; 08-21-2017 at 11:32 PM.
GilaVista is offline   Reply With Quote