Home Your Ad Here

Go Back   IndieTalk - Indie Film Forum > Making The Film > Newbies

Old 07-20-2017, 05:48 PM   #16
Alcove Audio
Basic - Premiere Expired

As it was explained to me - the ambiguousness of the statute (at least here pin the US) - is that you can be easily sued if the image (or whatever) has an impact on the storyline/plot.

If the protagonist has a picture of "ZYX" hanging on the wall it's not an issue. If the protagonist is somehow influenced by or wants to be like "ZYX" than it's story/plot point.

The ambiguousness of the statute is argued in the courts and decided upon by juries.

The lawyers could argue that the protagonist having a picture of "ZYX" on the wall is an indication of the influence of "ZYX" on the protagonist and that the protagonist is obviously influenced by "ZYX" since the picture is on the wall - even if "ZYX" is never mentioned or even hinted at in the plot/storyline.
Alcove Audio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today   #1A
film guy
Basic Member

Old 07-21-2017, 12:45 AM   #17
itsastruggle
Basic Member

thanks everyone. helpful info to consider.
itsastruggle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 01:01 AM   #18
Cracker Funk
Basic Member

Apology accepted? Maybe I'll just stay away for a little while longer. I provided the same info as everyone else, but got hated on for it. Joseph is tired of getting hated on.
Cracker Funk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 01:26 AM   #19
itsastruggle
Basic Member

its not the content of your thoughts, its the delivery. you often come across as a condescending know it all and no one likes that. there are a lot of hyper masculine ego maniac straight while males that populate hollywood. not saying you fall into that category, i dont know you personally, but your posts often reek of that type of attitude.
Old 07-21-2017, 01:30 AM   #20
itsastruggle
Basic Member

Alcove Audio... I think your response is probably the best advice and it's the determination I've come to as well. If its unsubstantial to your story, its usually considered deminis. If it's references and involved then it needs to be cleared in advance. Its the difference between having a pepsi can sitting on a table in a scene and having your character take a journey to find a can of pepsi.
Old 07-21-2017, 02:11 AM   #21
Cracker Funk
Basic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsastruggle View Post
its not the content of your thoughts, its the delivery. you often come across as a condescending know it all and no one likes that. there are a lot of hyper masculine ego maniac straight while males that populate hollywood. not saying you fall into that category, i dont know you personally, but your posts often reek of that type of attitude.
Which is why I do my best to read other people's words online literally. Just take it at face value. No, you don't know me in real life, and if you did, you'd know that I'm the exact opposite of "hyper masculine". I'm queer, for the record, and I'm making a queer feature film that is going to espouse the virtues of modern feminism. For you to mistake my very good advice as hyper masculinity is a mistake on your part. There's nothing in my words that should've made you think that. I choose my words carefully. I make my posts reek of what I want them to, and in this thread, I gave good advice, with nothing but sincerity.
Cracker Funk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 12:05 PM   #22
joelhall
Basic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by indietalk View Post
Basically, like Vanilla Ice suing you for using Ice Ice Baby, and attracting his own lawsuit from Bowie.
He does need the money these days....
joelhall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 01:07 PM   #23
buscando
Basic Member

Actually I think he's doing well, he had a show where he was buying & selling real estate with the money he made from that song
buscando is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 12:03 PM   #24
joelhall
Basic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by buscando View Post
Actually I think he's doing well, he had a show where he was buying & selling real estate with the money he made from that song
Pretty smart move!
joelhall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 12:17 PM   #25
indietalk
IndieTalk Founder

Yeah he works with this guy

indietalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 06:56 AM   #26
Fascinations
Basic Member

Does anyone know about the laws on this in the UK? I understand our copyright laws are far stricter than those in the US.
Fascinations is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 06:57 PM   #27
Ned Daly
Basic Member

For an in-depth discussion see

http://www.collegeart.org/pdf/FairUseIssuesReport.pdf
Ned Daly is offline   Reply With Quote