Home Your Ad Here

Go Back   IndieTalk - Indie Film Forum > Making The Film > Directing

Old 06-30-2017, 06:32 PM   #31
sucramdoow_
Basic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky Hardwood View Post
Strictly speaking, you were never working for free. As a photographer, I shoot models and do not charge or pay them. I do the same with hair and makeup artists. Everybody puts in their time, effort, and materials, and we all get images for our respective portfolios. The images are the payment. It is the same with doing music videos for "free" while you are building you reel.
Whilst I agree with that to an extent, I think there needs to be a point where that needs to stop. At what point does it become less about the reel and more about the payment for services rendered? That's not rhetorical, I'm keen to hear your opinion as I've been mulling this over all day.

I had a chat with the band and the manager sees it that he's paying to advance my career, because he's "letting" me do work for them. That kind of talk reminds me of the "We'll pay you in exposure".
sucramdoow_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today   #1A
film guy
Basic Member

Old 06-30-2017, 06:38 PM   #32
sucramdoow_
Basic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jax_rox View Post
Be careful of this one. Even if you're happy with the situation as it is right now, you don't want to end up committed to a project of theirs for free and having to turn down paid work for it. Or worse - they pay you a very small amount and you have to turn down much higher paying work because you're in a bind.

You should be up-front about payments: when and how much. If they're not going to pay you, you definitely need to make sure you stipulate what happens if you get offered clashing paid work...
I'm going to do that for the next video for sure. Not this one, as it's nearing the end anyway.

What about other stipulations, like working hours and days? Is that just assumed, or should that be within the contract?

Also, when you're working for a client, do you think you're working FOR them, or are you DOING work for them?

I've run into another issue where my fiancée helped enormously on the shoots, acting as 1st AD and just general runner duties, whilst also putting in money for petrol and such. And for the most recent video, the manager is refusing to compensate for one of the drives. Their argument is that it wasn't agreed upon (even though it was agreed verbally with the lead singer) and that if they pay it, then the band members will also start asking for money for their petrol.
Old 06-30-2017, 06:44 PM   #33
sucramdoow_
Basic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by buscando View Post
So what are you going to ask for in the contract?
For the next one? I'm going to negotiate pay depending on my responsibilities. If I'm expected to do everything (produce, direct, shoot, edit), then definitely ask for more pay. I want to put in an agreed amount of hours per week, because before it felt like a full time job (which it should be obviously, but this video isn't paying my bills, so I'm having to take on other work).

Also, clear defined responsibilities. I know what the responsibilities of the director are, but I went above and waaay beyond for the video (which I'm happy to do, because I want it to be great), but now they're introducing contracts and professional ways of working, with minimal pay, then I don't want to feel like I'm being taken advantage of.