Home Your Ad Here

Go Back   IndieTalk - Indie Film Forum > The Biz > Distro/Marketing

Old 11-22-2017, 05:00 PM   #16
Velusion
Basic Member

Yes.
It made sense that the file I submitted to Amazon should fit the movie on my timeline. When I saw that it didn't, my brain kicked into gear and figured out why.
Velusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today   #1A
film guy
Basic Member

Old 11-22-2017, 05:07 PM   #17
Velusion
Basic Member

Yes,
I imported it back into Premiere along side the CC data that I generated in Premiere so I could see very clearly that the offset did not grow over time. It started out of sync by X number of seconds and it stayed out of sync for that amount for the duration. I was expecting that it probably drifted further and further out of sync over time but it didn't..

Here is a link to Amazon video that has the submission requirements. It's a good place to start.
https://videocentral.amazon.com/home...=avd_hm_ft_sup
Old 11-22-2017, 08:11 PM   #18
buscando
Basic Member

Thanks a lot for the info, everyone!
I'm sure a lot of people will find this post useful.
buscando is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 11:54 AM   #19
AMDQuantum
Basic Member

I'm using it as well for my Crime/Drama film. Haven't made any money yet but its pretty cool to see it up there and the BEST part is that it's FREE!
AMDQuantum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 05:38 PM   #20
vanivray
Basic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayandmigdalia View Post
They will use many different phrases, such as "captions do not match spoken dialogue" (even when you know that it does), or they will side track you with requests for "when dialogue is not present, you should describe what is happening"... WHAT?...so we are also providing captions for people who are also BLIND. (So how do blind people read the captions?). Sounds stupid, but that is an example of why our captions were rejected. You will also hear that the time code is off...are your captions 29.97 fps or 30fps...drop frame or non drop frame. Throw in descriptions of who is speaking off camera. What are the lyrics to the song that you used. I finally started using professional caption companies (such as rev.com) to do our captions, and our last four films have been accepted on the first try. Yes, I hate paying someone to do what I can do myself (eventually), but having Amazon accept the captions on the first try is such a relief... AND, the caption company that I use has a turnaround time of about 8 hours...something that would take me several days to do on my own. (They charge a dollar per minute of screen time...10 minute film is $10 dollars).
For films made in 24 or 23.98 fps, do you convert that first to 29.97 fps for purposes of getting a 29.97 standard SCC caption file?
vanivray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 06:00 PM   #21
Velusion
Basic Member

I don't know but I don't think so. The CC file is time based, not frame based.

This is all the technical info they provide for your video: https://videocentral.amazon.com/home...icId=201973700

Last edited by Velusion; 12-07-2017 at 06:03 PM.
Old 12-08-2017, 09:51 PM   #22
vanivray
Basic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velusion View Post
I don't know but I don't think so. The CC file is time based, not frame based.

This is all the technical info they provide for your video: https://videocentral.amazon.com/home...icId=201973700
"All the 608-standard caption file specifications (which includes the .scc file) were created with the assumption that the framerate is 29.97 fps (this spec is independent from CaptionSync)." [https://support.automaticsync.com/hc...dcast-outputs]

But...my questions aren't specifically for Amazon, just for SCC in general since I am now required to deliver that to a distributor for potentially multiple platforms.
Old 12-08-2017, 10:20 PM   #23
Rayandmigdalia
Basic Member

You will submit matching files for both video and scc. If your video is 30fps, your scc should be 30fps. If your video is 29.97, your scc files should be 29.97. As long as they match, you're good to go.
Rayandmigdalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 10:32 PM   #24
vanivray
Basic Member

Quote:
You will submit matching files for both video and scc. If your video is 30fps, your scc should be 30fps. If your video is 29.97, your scc files should be 29.97. As long as they match, you're good to go.
Ok, thanks, that's what my distributor indicated. But now the frustrating part is it seems like none of the third party services offer nonstandard SCC (or at least not advertised). Rev only does 29.97. UPDATE: looks like 3PlayMedia might do that.

Last edited by vanivray; 12-08-2017 at 10:41 PM.
Old 12-08-2017, 11:00 PM   #25
Rayandmigdalia
Basic Member

I've gotten 30fps files from rev very recently...unless they have changed their policy, they will give you the correct SCC files for whatever you send them. Have you asked them?
Old 12-08-2017, 11:05 PM   #26
vanivray
Basic Member

Quote:
I've gotten 30fps files from rev very recently...unless they have changed their policy, they will give you the correct SCC files for whatever you send them. Have you asked them?
Yes. What I want is 23.98 fps. They said they can't do that.
Old 12-09-2017, 07:49 PM   #27
Rayandmigdalia
Basic Member

I once needed to change the frame rate of some subtitles, and I found a free "frame rate subtitle converter" online. I converted a 30fps to a 29.97fps, but you should be able to convert to 23.98 as well. So you could convert your original FILM to an MP4, 29.97fps and send to Rev for captioning. When you get your captions back, simply convert your 29.97 captions to 23.98 with the converter, and they will match your original film. Unfortunately, I no longer have the converter or I'd give you the link.
Old 12-09-2017, 10:21 PM   #28
vanivray
Basic Member

Quote:
I once needed to change the frame rate of some subtitles, and I found a free "frame rate subtitle converter" online. I converted a 30fps to a 29.97fps, but you should be able to convert to 23.98 as well. So you could convert your original FILM to an MP4, 29.97fps and send to Rev for captioning. When you get your captions back, simply convert your 29.97 captions to 23.98 with the converter, and they will match your original film. Unfortunately, I no longer have the converter or I'd give you the link.
That's not a bad idea. I'm going to give a crack at making my own captions file since I already have the dialogue list (just need to add non-dialogue captions).