Home Your Ad Here

Go Back   IndieTalk - Indie Film Forum > Making The Film > Directing

Old 02-28-2017, 04:43 AM   #16
harmonica44
Basic Member

It wasn't my intention to punk at all. I was told on here before, that in order to get a movie made, I would have to take on multiple jobs, and directing is one of those jobs as well. So what's wrong with learning that job?

I do have an interest though, otherwise I would not be studying it as much as I do. Of course I have an interest in directing as well, just not sure if it's the number one role I am interested in.

Quote:
I think the exact opposite. Stories are about characters.
Not all documentaries are about characters though. A lot of my favorite documentaries, such as the ones by Michael Moore for example, are about issues, more than the characters. In his documentaries, there are people, but there is no one main character, and instead he concentrates on a whole issue in itself as the main focus point. That's what I mean when I say a lot of documentary stories being about issues.

But we'll just make it about one another then. Thanks for the input, everyone .

Last edited by harmonica44; 02-28-2017 at 06:30 AM.
harmonica44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today   #1A
film guy
Basic Member

Old 02-28-2017, 07:46 AM   #17
WalterB
Basic Member

Michael Moore's documentaries are about Michael Moore exploring an issue together with supporting characters that give the issue a human face and a story. He adds some statistics in it.
But it is still about characters. Characters trapped or empowered by 'the system' they live in.
(I hope they will teach you symiotics. Maybe that will help you to analyse beyound the obvious surface.)

After 6 years in here you just haven't discovered that there is a story in anyone.

A fellow student:
- what is your dream?
- what is your fear?
- where do you come from? (not just location)
- any regrets in your life?
- what would you be doing if not persuing filmmaking?
- any hobbies?

Did you even ask these questions to your subject before doubting the assignment?
You tend to jump into conclusions before exploring the subject. You just expect reality to obviously present you a pret-a-porter movie you can pick up and present as something great.
Reality is different: you need to dig beyond the obvious and explore to get a real documentary.

Last edited by WalterB; 02-28-2017 at 07:48 AM.
WalterB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 08:18 AM   #18
SixOhThree
Basic Member

I'm very confused here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by harmonica44 View Post
Yeah I don't know if I wanted to be a director since my original passions were acting and writing. I just found myself taking on the director role, to have more control of what products come out of me in the future.
You're passionate about writing and yet can't muster up the creativity to develop one aspect of yourself as a person and make it interesting?

You have 6,506 posts on Indietalk. Clearly you have something to say. Maybe that's your documentary? "I've asked 6500 questions on the internet and here's what I've learned."
SixOhThree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 10:20 AM   #19
Sweetie
Basic Member

Quote:
Maybe that's your documentary? "I've asked 6500 questions on the internet and here's what I've learned."
At least we should entertain ourselves.

What's the best title you can come up with for h44's 6500 question doco?

I'll start off with:
"Yes, but..."
"Follow my foolproof plan and you too can make 2 shorts in only 6 years."
Sweetie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 01:12 PM   #20
indietalk
IndieTalk Founder

Here's the plan, since you asked for ideas. Follow the assignment, come back and show us if you want, in the post, don't ask how to fix anything, just be proud of your first doc, we all know the first one won't be perfect, but you worry too much over things like "filmmaker reputation" and minute details. It's an assignment, and we will congratulate you on your accomplishment. Trust me, this will happen, unless you come back and ask how to fix this and that etc... it will just turn into another h44 thread here. You need to make films and move on, not dwell, in school. Treat them like homework assignments that are competed once you turn them in, until you get to bigger ones.
indietalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 01:19 PM   #21
harmonica44
Basic Member

Okay sure, thanks, I'll do that.
Old 02-28-2017, 01:31 PM   #22
indietalk
IndieTalk Founder

Good luck, and I'm sure there are many interesting things about you that you can talk about on hers. Since she is directing yours make sure to let her direct and maybe she can coax some good stuff out of you. You are not directing the one about you right? So let her do her thing. And then you do your thing directing the one about her. And stop sweating it. It's a beginner project.
Old 02-28-2017, 02:15 PM   #23
harmonica44
Basic Member

It just feels like theme should come before characters. Like when Michael Moore decided to make Fahrenheit 9/11 for example, he decided he wanted to do a movie on 9/11 first. It's not like he just decided on his characters first, and then round up a bunch of a characters, and then discover that they all were all coincidentally connected 9/11. It seems that themes to explore as an idea should come first, and then choose people to fit that theme. But I will do it this way .

Yep she directs the one about me and I direct the one about her . I will do that.
Old 02-28-2017, 02:18 PM   #24
indietalk
IndieTalk Founder

It could simply be the teacher's way of a community ice breaker, and you learn something along the way. You are not trying to make an Oscar-winning doc on day one.
Old 02-28-2017, 02:26 PM   #25
directorik
IndieTalk's Resident Guru

Quote:
Not all documentaries are about characters though. A lot of my favorite documentaries, such as the ones by Michael Moore for example, are about issues, more than the characters. In his documentaries, there are people, but there is no one main character, and instead he concentrates on a whole issue in itself as the main focus point. That's what I mean when I say a lot of documentary stories being about issues.
So find out what issue your subject (the other student) is interested in
and make a documentary about that issue. In "Roger & Me" there is one
main character and that character is in IN THE TITLE. That documentary
by Michael Moore is about Michael Moore. Who did you think the "ME" in
the title refers to?

Then (as indietalk says) you allow the other student to make the documentary
they want to make. STAY OUT OF IT! Don't "suppose" what they should do.
Show the other director respect. It's clear that you are an indecisive person
who is paralyzed by choices yet very much wants to make movies. THAT would
make a great documentary.
Quote:
It seems that themes to explore as an idea should come first, and then choose people to fit that theme.
That is the challenge, isn't it? That's why the teacher is doing this assignment. To
challenge you. You won't always get to make ONLY what YOU are comfortable
making.

Last edited by directorik; 02-28-2017 at 02:30 PM.
directorik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 03:01 PM   #26
sfoster
IndieTalk Moderator

Quote:
It just feels like theme should come before characters.
Yeah genre should come before characters too. So what
sfoster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 06:11 PM   #27
indietalk
IndieTalk Founder

By the way we are all rooting for you in film school. Hope it works out and you learn a lot, deadlines are good for you, as you can turn in some finished work you may have procrastinated over w/o any deadline.
Old 03-01-2017, 12:21 AM   #28
Cracker Funk
Basic Member

h44, I am exceedingly confidant that you'd make a very interesting subject for a short documentary. And regardless of who your partner/subject is, they too have a story to tell.

ALL people have something interesting about them. Find something unique about them. Do they have a favorite hobby that is a little out of the ordinary? An interesting perspective on life? Some personal experience they'd be willing to discuss that most people might not be familiar with?

Shit, you could probably just ask them to tell you about how their grandparents had an influence on shaping who they have become, and I can practically guarantee they'd have something interesting to say.

For comparison's sake, my 1-minute documentary that I made for this introductory assignment was about a fencing instructor, and he ended up spending the entire interview comparing fencing to music. Whodathunkit?

My opinion is that you should complete the assignment as the instructor has tasked, no changes needed.

Best of luck!
Cracker Funk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 02:50 AM   #29
shortboy
Basic Member

Your first post has a story already written in itself. The fact that you believe that you find making a documentary about another student/each other uninteresting is interesting. As already said, it's about finding out who you are. We can give your classmate a whole list of things that can be done about THEIR documentary, it's up to you to figure what you want YOUR documentary to be about.

Dodging the assignment isn't the way to go. If you're asked to write a 100 word paper about yourself and end up doing a 101 word paper in order to make sound more appealing, then you've already failed.
shortboy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 04:00 PM   #30
harmonica44
Basic Member

Okay thanks. I definitely will not dodge the assignment. Thanks.

I'm surprised if people on here think that it's good that I am going to film school, cause when I asked about it before, some said it was a waste of money, and that they overcharge, and that I will not be learning what I cannot learn on my own, so I am kind of surprised, if that is the case. I just went against some of the advice there and did it, cause the graduate students I talked to said it was worth the experience.