Home Your Ad Here

Go Back   IndieTalk - Indie Film Forum > Making The Film > Filmmaking Misc.

Old 09-22-2016, 06:07 PM   #16
Alcove Audio
Basic - Premiere Expired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quality View Post
Why would you want to waste time and effort in recreating a scene when you can make your own new shit. Time is too valuable to be wasted.
Not wasted time at all. As a working musician I spent hours learning songs by other people, from Bach to the Beatles to Black-eyed Peas. Was that wasted time? As a musician and audio engineer I would try to recreate sounds, and with the advent of MIDI and all of the other wonderful advances since then I have attempted to recreate entire tracks. (A while back I completed a recreation [sans vocals] of the Karn Evil 9, Impression 1, Parts 1 & 2, by Emerson, Lake and Palmer that had some of my compatriots saying "Holy shit!" I learned a lot about how some sounds were created and that ELP definitely played by feel, because the tempos were all over the place. I have done the same with audio from film scenes. C'mon, there are tribute bands that make their living by recreating the experience of the original performer(s)/performance(s).

You are not recreating a scene just for the sake of recreating the scene, you are learning how things were done. You might learn that moving the one light (as an example) can make or break the visual mood of the scene. You might learn that you really do (or do not) need that one expensive lens to get that one specific shot.

Any time spent learning IS NOT WASTED!
Alcove Audio is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today   #1A
film guy
Basic Member

Old 09-22-2016, 06:15 PM   #17
indietalk
IndieTalk Founder

Flip the coin.

Making your own "shit" could be wasting time if you do it w/o any knowledge. Never discourage learning. Ever.
indietalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 08:19 PM   #18
sfoster
IndieTalk Moderator

I wish i could do lens flares like star trek
sfoster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 09:15 PM   #19
Guanto
Basic Member

Dipping my toe in the toxic waters just going to say, eloquence aside, I kind of understand what Quality meant… maybe.

But let me preface this by saying I think how you interpreted the post has to do with your headspace in your career/project at the time of reading it, or where your natural talents, skills and passions lay.

This is to say many looked at this as “Oh he just wants to shoot some scenes and learn and share” – even though OP never mentioned anything about learning or practicing whatsoever. In fact one could deduce it was meant to be taken at face value, more like "I am starting a channel that regurgitates scenes from famous movies because I think people will find that entertaining and this will be what makes me a filmmaker." - That's not an incorrect interpretation.

What I believe this comes down to, the reactions here, is that there are filmmakers who want to learn the craft and nerd out on gear and then be there ready to rock when some good original content comes their way. We need these people.

There are also those who are rooted more in the creative. I started out playing cover songs and couldn’t wait to play out with my own material, yet there are guys right now, killer technical musicians running circles around me, looking to get into a cover band to make some weekend money. The guys I know like this don’t write. They either don’t care to or can’t, not in their DNA. Now, if you are looking at this post as what I’ll call a creative, you can’t help but wish that someone going through all that effort (I’m growing faint thinking of the pre, the prod and the post on something like this, especially something episodic) would pump it into some original material, any more than you wish there wasn’t a Transformers 13 or a Blair Witch reboot. It's not an unnatural desire.

I suppose the difference for me is, when I see something like this and feel like the later, I’d rather not comment at all. More power to them, and less competition in my already overcrowded lane.

But again, if you are looking at this from a cutting your teeth perspective and becoming a tradesman, it doesn’t seem like a bad idea at all. As long as OP is aware that there are already dozens of highly watched channels that recreate specific events in films to show would be filmmakers “how’d they do that”. But again OP never said this was his intention.

One thing I'll say to Quality directly is that we have to also consider, per my diatribe here, that OP hasn't the ability to make something original. This is normal, hell it’s common. Content is king and there is a severe shortage, always. And that’s OK and maybe it's hard to respond "I'm not good at that" - even though there's no shame, especially if they bring something else of value to the table.

We definitely need people in the field that represent each side of the brain. It’s crucial. But make no mistake, in my experience the existence of and distinction between the two sides is a reality. And I truly think that is what is at play here… what lens are you viewing the original post through? There are people that want to play what John Lennon played. There are people that want to play like John Lennon. And there are people that want to write like John Lennon. All equally necessary cogs in the machine but man are they all wired differently.

There is however one really ugly aspect of this that isn't PC to discuss, and that is people who confidently claim a side of the brain that they really shouldn't. Beware. Remember that guy i told you who flat out says he can't write? He is a god among men when compared to the guy who says he can write... and really really can't.

Oh, there is a mutant species known as the Auteur that is cursed to roam both sides of the brain for all eternity. They are doomed to burn in a pit of perfectionism, control and hellfire. I wouldn't wish their plight on my worst enemy.

My concluding thought is that learning filmmaking by putting effort and resources into a scene from let’s say an original screenplay, perhaps one from members of this forum, wouldn’t deter the learning experience in the least, and ain’t a half bad idea if someone really has the drive to dive into this... and clearly states that is their intention.

Anyway, mostly just fascinated by the reactions, especially in the wake of OP not mentioning wanting to learn anything at all. Interesting right?

Last edited by Guanto; 09-22-2016 at 09:47 PM.
Guanto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 09:41 PM   #20
indietalk
IndieTalk Founder

We've really gotten off track here.
Old 09-22-2016, 09:55 PM   #21
Guanto
Basic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by indietalk View Post
We've really gotten off track here.
For sure.

But the passionate out pour of "the guy just wants to learn" in the face of him never saying anything that even remotely insinuates that intrigued and clearly compelled me. Aw well, seen much worse derailments in these parts.

Time for a cocktail.
Guanto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 10:30 PM   #22
Quality
Basic Member

Finally someone that has sense to see it in my light. There's always two sides in a debate. Not just shut me down when I'm trying to have a civil conversation. Most importantly he hasn't even responded yet so we don't even know his intentions.
Quality is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 10:37 PM   #23
indietalk
IndieTalk Founder

Quote:
Finally someone that has sense to see it in my light. There's always two sides in a debate. Not just shut me down when I'm trying to have a civil conversation. Most importantly he hasn't even responded yet so we don't even know his intentions.
Basically it's like this.

Dude asked for scene suggestions.
Others suggested.
You told him he is wasting his time, and did not suggest a scene.

So you started the debate. It didn't need to be one.

On that note, even if you disagree, how about suggesting a scene?

(Let's keep this on track please. Respect the OP's request.)
Old 09-23-2016, 03:31 AM   #24
joey1986
Basic Member

I remade a scene recently from reservoir dogs, it was only two minutes but it was worth it. I ran in to a few problems like finding the right car. long story short i had to sneak in to a junk yard and use a green screen lol the car we used had shredded upholstery i lined it with plastic and then put a cheap wool blanket over. it was an extremely Sunny the the green screen ended up being blown out and unusable, we had to roto the whole thing and still are. here is a pic from the shoot.

you can actually see the green cast on the actors lol

Last edited by joey1986; 09-23-2016 at 03:33 AM.
joey1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 08:00 AM   #25
Quality
Basic Member

Yes, poorly done. Was it because it was too bright?
Old 09-23-2016, 10:22 AM   #26
joey1986
Basic Member

Quote:
Yes, poorly done. Was it because it was too bright?
i'm sure the footage is no better but that was an iphone photo we actually shot it with the ursa mini.
joey1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 11:35 AM   #27
indietalk
IndieTalk Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by joey1986 View Post
I remade a scene recently from reservoir dogs, it was only two minutes but it was worth it.
That's great man! Glad it was worth it. You see the value is lessons learned. Looks like a strong effort as well.
Old 09-23-2016, 11:53 AM   #28
directorik
IndieTalk's Resident Guru

Quote:
There's always two sides in a debate. Not just shut me down when I'm trying to have a civil conversation.
Who tried to shut you down?

You expressed your views, I expressed mine. I even came around to
understanding yours. How is that trying to shut you down? I wanted
your side of the debate. I challenged your side of the debate, I now
understand your side of the debate. I even said so. YOU have ignored
my questions. YOU have never acknowledged my side of the debate.

You never answer any of my questions so I suspect you will just ignore
these, too. No one tried to shut you down. My intent was to challenge
your side of the debate. I'm sad that you feel I tried to shut you down
by expressing my opinion.
Quote:
Most importantly he hasn't even responded yet so we don't even know his intentions.
Even if his intention is to only have some fun isn't that up to him? If
he doesn't want to learn anything about movies but ONLY to recreate
scenes for fun isn't that good enough? Why is it a waste of time and effort
for a filmmaker to have some fun recreating scenes from movies for his
YouTube channel?

I'm not trying to shut you down; I'm trying to understand your side of this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guanto View Post
But the passionate out pour of "the guy just wants to learn" in the face of him never saying anything that even remotely insinuates that intrigued and clearly compelled me.
You are correct, he never remotely insinuated he wanted to learn about
making movies, so what if I alter my point?

I feel it's rude and unhelpful to tell the OP that what he wants to do is
"a waste of time and effort". He wants to have a little fun and create
a YouTube channel. No waste of time there.

I understand what you're saying about "head space" - we all come to these
discussions with our personal point of view. I happened to emphasize learning.
But what if (Quality said someone should ask what if) all he wants to do is
create a YouTube channel and have a little fun? Does that warrant an
admonishment from Quality that what he wants to do is a waste of time and
effort?

Again, I'm not saying we should ONLY be cheerleaders to everyone who posts
here. But when someone asks for suggestions on scenes to recreate is it
necessary to put that person down? Is it even necessary to protect that person
from failing?
directorik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 12:03 PM   #29
Quality
Basic Member

Point taken, everyone is happy. This is what democracy is all about. We talk to each other.
Old 09-23-2016, 12:14 PM   #30
indietalk
IndieTalk Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guanto View Post
Anyway, mostly just fascinated by the reactions, especially in the wake of OP not mentioning wanting to learn anything at all. Interesting right?
Probably because learning in inherent. How do you learn? Make films. You want to recreate? You're going to learn something. So people chimed in with what a clever way to learn.

"I'm going to make my first film."

"Great way to learn!"

"Hmm I didn't say I wanted to learn anything."

Like I said, I suppose it's because it's inherent.

Now back to your regularly scheduled programming.