Home Your Ad Here

Go Back   IndieTalk - Indie Film Forum > The Biz > Indie

View Poll Results: I would like to be able to visit IndieTalk...
To ask members questions about filmmaking 69 66.99%
To answer questions and offer members help 63 61.17%
To find organized filmmaking tips and tutorials in a specific database 40 38.83%
To read news/articles on filmmaking 37 35.92%
To be able to post dedicated tutorials and/or articles 16 15.53%
To post and promote my films 44 42.72%
To watch films 33 32.04%
To network with others in my area/build crews in my area etc 55 53.40%
To list/browse paid-only crewing jobs 16 15.53%
To socialize with other filmmakers and not always talk shop 55 53.40%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 103. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-13-2016, 04:49 PM   #31
indietalk
IndieTalk Founder

Thank you!
indietalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today   #1A
film guy
Basic Member

Old 09-13-2016, 08:08 PM   #32
movingon
Basic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by indietalk View Post
There was also a plan once to offer script coverage at a pretty affordable rate by an accomplished screenwriter. However it didn't seem many here would be interested or would actually use that service.
For what it's worth, I would find affordable, good script coverage of interest.
movingon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 10:08 PM   #33
indietalk
IndieTalk Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by movingon View Post
For what it's worth, I would find affordable, good script coverage of interest.
Great! 2017 we will have more info on this.
Old 09-18-2016, 09:43 AM   #34
Aspiring Mogul
Basic Member

I just voted, a bit late, but still did my duty.

Anyway, I do like being the best at what I do, which I strive for in my work. But I am still happy with this forum as it is, and I am grateful for all the help I've received from the members. I have given some advice on various matters, and, as I bone up on American entertainment law and American IP law, I may do so more often.
Aspiring Mogul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2016, 03:35 AM   #35
Maxsdad
Basic Member

I'd like to see a more dedicated forum section where members can list/browse NON (or extremely low) paying crew jobs. I'm not the least interested if Harold Hecuba is casting "The Mouse That Bored", but I'd be willing to jump in and help a young Nick Chapman. Right now, "Industry Jobs and Services" seems filled with calls for festival submissions or casting calls for established TV shows rather than calls of "aspiring young filmmaker needs EVERYTHING for 2 day shoot... no pay, and stale donuts only". Personally, I like stale donuts.
Maxsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 02:51 PM   #36
gorillaonabike
Basic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxsdad View Post
I'd like to see a more dedicated forum section where members can list/browse NON (or extremely low) paying crew jobs. I'm not the least interested if Harold Hecuba is casting "The Mouse That Bored", but I'd be willing to jump in and help a young Nick Chapman. Right now, "Industry Jobs and Services" seems filled with calls for festival submissions or casting calls for established TV shows rather than calls of "aspiring young filmmaker needs EVERYTHING for 2 day shoot... no pay, and stale donuts only". Personally, I like stale donuts.
I 100% agree. And the reality is at very low levels, we skills exchange. For example, I have leaned more towards sound recording, basic mixing and 'safe' cinematography whereas FilmAutre is all about amazing visuals. When we crew up, this combo means we have a good team and we don't have to pay crew.

A section dedicated to that would be amazing.

Or even kit mixes. So FilmAutre and I have completely complimentary kit. Everything overlaps beautifully so we don't need to hire anything. This again, saves us a ton of money and allows us to make money with paying clients.

The only crew I actually give money to on set is a MUA because MUAs have serious costs.
gorillaonabike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2016, 04:22 AM   #37
Sweetie
Basic Member

http://www.indietalk.com/showthread.php?t=62011

Mods need to grow a pair.

This is an example of what's holding IndieTalk back. An amateur asking for professional advice and gets abusive when s/he doesn't like the response. Failure to stomp this behavior will encourage the fools to cause a further exodus of experience elsewhere.
Sweetie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2016, 01:09 PM   #38
directorik
IndieTalk's Resident Guru

Moderating is a thankless job.

I think that discussion is what makes inditalk great. Not what's bringing it down.

If a pro like APE leaves because of this behavior then he is the fool. itsastruggle
isn't interested in learning. We pros could recognize that, offer advice so others
can learn something and walk away. In that thread CF would like APE to leave
and it seems you would like struggle to leave.

I hope they both stay.

I will no longer offer advice to struggle but there are many who will. In my opinion
if a mod were to stop this passion from being expressed indietalk would be a lesser
place. We need the pro advice and we need the dedicated, experienced amateur
advice. We will always have an "itsastruggle" who doesn't want to learn. We need
then, too.
directorik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2016, 01:47 PM   #39
Cracker Funk
Basic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by directorik View Post
Moderating is a thankless job.

I think that discussion is what makes inditalk great. Not what's bringing it down.

If a pro like APE leaves because of this behavior then he is the fool. itsastruggle
isn't interested in learning. We pros could recognize that, offer advice so others
can learn something and walk away. In that thread CF would like APE to leave
and it seems you would like struggle to leave.

I hope they both stay.

I will no longer offer advice to struggle but there are many who will. In my opinion
if a mod were to stop this passion from being expressed indietalk would be a lesser
advice. We will always have an "itsastruggle" who doesn't want to learn. We need
then, too.
Well this is one of those rare occasions in which I disagree with you, directorik.

I don't think struggle is rejecting good advice, I think they are accepting that not all advice is good.

We're having this discussion on INDIE-talk, let's not forget that. The advice offered by APE is almost always impossible for any indie filmmaker to pull off.

So yeah, APE, your advice is more than welcome, but you're a damn fool if you think that any indie filmmaker can meet your standards.
Cracker Funk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2016, 02:35 PM   #40
directorik
IndieTalk's Resident Guru

Disagreement is terrific. But I don't think we disagree.

APE and I have had our issues and they are for the same reason you mention;
he rarely recognizes the "indie" side of things. Doesn't mean the advice isn't
good advice. As I said, I think he should offer his advice, tell us the way the
industry works from his pro point of view and then back off when an amateur
gets angry and abusive.

So what would you have the mods do in this case? I think they should stay out
of it. What say you?
directorik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2016, 03:52 PM   #41
indietalk
IndieTalk Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetie View Post
http://www.indietalk.com/showthread.php?t=62011

Mods need to grow a pair.

This is an example of what's holding IndieTalk back. An amateur asking for professional advice and gets abusive when s/he doesn't like the response. Failure to stomp this behavior will encourage the fools to cause a further exodus of experience elsewhere.
Instead of insulting the staff, why not report the posts in question? We have 0 reported posts, and yet you complain about moderation. You assume the staff has read the posts in question and done nothing about it when in fact it was just brought to my attention by your post, and now has been addressed. The proper way to let us know is the exclamation icon on a post. I have made the icon a little more clear.

"If you see something, say something." Because we can't catch it all and rely on reporting, just like any social site you visit.

Thanks
Old 10-28-2016, 07:56 PM   #42
WalterB
Basic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by indietalk View Post
........... I have made the icon a little more clear.

I noticed.
I was shocked for 1 second: "What is happening?"
But I guess it might help
WalterB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2016, 07:58 PM   #43
indietalk
IndieTalk Founder

Old 10-28-2016, 09:03 PM   #44
Sweetie
Basic Member

Quote:
I think that discussion is what makes inditalk great.
Agreed.

Though:

Quote:
You're an ego maniac. Looking at your other posts you have a history of being the biggest know it all douche in the room. Bye loser.
Quote:
If a pro like APE leaves because of this behavior then he is the fool.
You might, but in no way would I consider these examples either part of the discussion or part of what makes indietalk great.

Quote:
then, too.
Look, I hear what you're saying. It's a different topic to my post. When the mods accept that a hostile treatment of professionals/experienced amateurs is the status quo, how many of those professionals/experienced would you expect to remain with the mods allowing such poor treatment.

I'd like to be clear. Discussion and disagreement should be encouraged. Passion = encouraged. Having the line crossed to where users receive personal abuse should not be tolerated. Mods need to grow a pair, nip it in the bud well before it becomes an issue. Allowing newer users to get away with blue murder only encourages more poor behavior.

Another point. There have been multiple high quality discussions that have been overtaken and derailed due to mud slinging. It's the abuse that hinders the discussion.

Quote:
Instead of insulting the staff, why not report the posts in question?
Within the context of this thread, it's what I would like to see out of Indietalk. This would appear to be a better place to discuss the issue. It has little to do with individual threads/posts. The link was an example of what I see is the issue.

When I first registered 4 years ago, I remember Indietalk had a lot more active experienced users who consistently doled out mostly good advice. These days I see a common pattern of post a question, get a good answer, user doesn't like the answer and the s**t hits the fan.

If you want the professionals and the experienced amateurs to remain, something needs to change. It'll be sad when users decide reddit and Facebook groups offer more with less BS drama.
Sweetie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2016, 09:13 PM   #45
sfoster
IndieTalk Moderator

I wasn't aware we had mods. Aside from our site admin. Do we have mods now?
sfoster is offline   Reply With Quote