Home Your Ad Here

Go Back   IndieTalk - Indie Film Forum > Classified Ads > Film Market > Financing

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-13-2016, 11:30 AM   #16
WalterB
Basic Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Rotterdam Area, The Netherlands
Posts: 3,442
You need content to gain fans.
Intention is not enough.
That is why making more shorts is in my opinion essential to get your name out there to start with.

These questions are still essential as well:
What have you done so far, besides making the short and setting up the IGG page?
Who did you tell about it?
How many people are in 'your crowd'? (amount of followers on Twitter/Instagram, likes on facebook, subscribers on YouTube, connections on LinkedIn, number of people on your mailinglist)
Did you release press releases?
What social media did you use?
Without this it is hard to offer advice for your next campaign.
WalterB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today   #1A
film guy
Basic Member
 
Posts: 17

 
Old 07-13-2016, 12:05 PM   #17
Cryogenic
Basic Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: North Texas
Posts: 239
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smithproductions View Post
Budgets are strictly determined on assets that the producers have.
What? That makes no sense. As directorrik was asking, do you have a line item budget? I can throw up numbers all day for my budgets but the don't mean jack without the details.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smithproductions View Post
Seeing that I'm an an indie film maker I probably don't have as much resources as they do. So it makes complete sense that I would request that amount to pull off my idea.
....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smithproductions View Post
if you knew all I went through to pull off the short film that I shot. I did the entire thing on no budget.
As others have stated, we have all been there done that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smithproductions View Post
I went through several actors that all decided to flake on me at the very last minute. Even on the day of the shoot i had one actor that decided not to show up at all and didn't say anything. No call or email.
Happens all the time on low budget stuff, even on high budget stuff. Nothing special there. I had a shoot where a guy was supposed to bring a Cop car, a Deloreon and several cop uniforms Did not show. Had to do a quick rewrite on set to get the thing done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smithproductions View Post
There were times when I thought that I wouldn't be able to shoot the short film at all and wanted to just give up, but I didn't.
That is good. Congrats on that. You sometimes have to have great staying power in this game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smithproductions View Post
I have the determination and drive. All I need is the funds to help me make this dream a reality.
Welcome to the club. I have several project I am working on. They may never be produced but I keep driving on them. Meantime I help out other people on their projects. I have no problem with working any spot so I will work grip or whatever. I currently work gaffer on a web series which the last episode was shot for network (4k and half hour episode). FYI I am posting my profile below. Does not include the Bail Out episodes I have worked on or all the mexican features I worked on.

Again Good luck.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm2872123/?ref_=fn_al_nm_5
Cryogenic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 12:21 PM   #18
Smithproductions
Account Disabled
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: United States
Posts: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by WalterB View Post
I'm not sure whether you mean nobody on IT was trying to help or just in general.
If you are talking about IT:
http://www.indietalk.com/showthread.php?t=60921
Quite some advice, although some is pretty harsh.
You have been given the link to the threat with dozens of stories about campaign gone right or wrong which contains dozens of insights on crowdfunding. Have you read it already?

If you are talking about getting actual help in making your short.
It gets easier once you have finished more than 1 project, because you have more to show for and because you'll have more experience and a larger network then.

I'm not suggesting to wait untill someone else makes your dream come true.
Exactly the opposite: I'm suggesting you take back control by making more shorts to train your skills, expand your network, grow a fanbase and become credible as the producer of your dream.
As it is now, your crowdfunding actually is like waiting for someone else to make your dreams come true.

As for getting help on your current campaign:
What have you done so far, besides making the short and setting up the IGG page?
Who did you tell about it?
How many people are in 'your crowd'?
Did you release press releases?
What social media did you use?
Without this it is hard to offer advice for your next campaign.

Yes, I say your NEXT campaign, because I think the conversion rate of your current campaign is close to 0. Which means that it seems unlikely that more than 1 out of every 1000 visitor will back you.
Crowdfunding is also a numbers game: if an average backer gives you $25 how many backers do you need?
If out of every 100 visitors 5 a likely to back you: how many people do you need to draw to you IGG page to get it 100% funded?
So what is you strategy?
Do you have the follow to pulls this off?
Do you have a plan to attract traffic, besides your affiliate score idea?
Or is it a message in a bottle thrown into the digital ocean, hoping to be found be the 1 person with the money and desire to fund this?

Imagine I gave you that $500k today. (Unfortunately I don't have it, lol)
Are you ready for the task to make your dream live up to your vision and my expectations?
Or would it be wiser to make a few very short shorts to learn faster?
I've made several shorts that only last 1 to 4 minutes. They took 1 or 2 days to shoot. I made them to try things, have fun, get to know more people and to build a small local fanbase.

I might seem a little harsh, but I'm trying to show you a route to your dreams where you take control.


@Rik: permission granted
That is indeed my point.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WalterB View Post
You need content to gain fans.
Intention is not enough.
That is why making more shorts is in my opinion essential to get your name out there to start with.

These questions are still essential as well:
What have you done so far, besides making the short and setting up the IGG page?
Who did you tell about it?
How many people are in 'your crowd'? (amount of followers on Twitter/Instagram, likes on facebook, subscribers on YouTube, connections on LinkedIn, number of people on your mailinglist)
Did you release press releases?
What social media did you use?
Without this it is hard to offer advice for your next campaign.

I understand that. One thing I keep thinking though is short films take money to produce. A lot of the time your never able to get all the funds you need. One thing I don't want to have to do is compromise my story line each time. Then you get a rep for half assing things. which won't help. but thanks for the advice.
Smithproductions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 12:55 PM   #19
WalterB
Basic Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Rotterdam Area, The Netherlands
Posts: 3,442
The money I spent on shorts range from $50 to $600.
The rest is borrowed and volunteered.
Plus I put my time in it: sometimes weeks.

Are they perfect?
No.
Do they look half assed. No
They did add better things to my portfolio, opening new possibilities in the future and I learned a lot from it, improving my skills.

To learn to think big effectively, you need to learn small as well. Keep shorts simple: simple in concept, so you won't need a huge concept. Use them to explore ideas, to create certain atmospheres, to tell a little joke, experiment with lighting, do a hommage/parody.

[YT]qeGqRVkE0AE[/YT]
This was shot in one long day.
I never met the actors or makeup artist before this day: I just asked them, explained my idea AND showed my portfolio. (The caucasian male happened to be an actor who stars in many commercials, but I didn't even know that at the time. After that I can't escape seeing him everywhere on TV, billboards and in magazines, lol) Since then we worked together multiple times.
There are mistakes in this video, btw: silly things like an actor not carrying a flashlight, because I didn't write it down in the storyboard, so I forgot it at the end of the long day. ( <- This seems obvious, but as long as you haven't made that mistake, you haven't really learnt that lesson. And there a many more that you should learn before pulling off your dream.)

I paid them travelexpenses, the mua I paid extra for the use of her materials, I paid for food and the catsuit. One of my friends brought his lights. I brought slider, tripods, boom, mic and camera. I used my parents living room as 3 different locations.

It can be done.
(Ignore the licencing of the music: that did cost more than the rest. Use affordable stockmusic!)
It will cost you something, but it won't be a waste at all. It is a lot cheaper than your feature and making shorts will save your feature money, because you will make mistakes and learn from them before wasting half a million dollars on errors that could have been avoided by spending a few hundred dollars and some time.
I understand you are eager.
That is good.
Just don't bite off more than you can chew, please.

Think of short ideas that are in your grasp budget-wise, gear wise, crew wise and location wise.
If you can't rent the Taj Mahal, don't put it in the script

I've got an idea to shoot in Venice, Italy, but I can't afford that now. So I focus on other things now, that might bring that possibilty closer.

Btw, you have an interesting way of anwsering questions: it feels more like ignoring it, because you just say you understand. But how can anyone point to things you need to put some extra attetion to if you don't share details?
WalterB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 01:45 PM   #20
Smithproductions
Account Disabled
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: United States
Posts: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by WalterB View Post
The money I spent on shorts range from $50 to $600.
The rest is borrowed and volunteered.
Plus I put my time in it: sometimes weeks.

Are they perfect?
No.
Do they look half assed. No
They did add better things to my portfolio, opening new possibilities in the future and I learned a lot from it, improving my skills.

To learn to think big effectively, you need to learn small as well. Keep shorts simple: simple in concept, so you won't need a huge concept. Use them to explore ideas, to create certain atmospheres, to tell a little joke, experiment with lighting, do a hommage/parody.

[YT]qeGqRVkE0AE[/YT]
This was shot in one long day.
I never met the actors or makeup artist before this day: I just asked them, explained my idea AND showed my portfolio. (The caucasian male happened to be an actor who stars in many commercials, but I didn't even know that at the time. After that I can't escape seeing him everywhere on TV, billboards and in magazines, lol) Since then we worked together multiple times.
There are mistakes in this video, btw: silly things like an actor not carrying a flashlight, because I didn't write it down in the storyboard, so I forgot it at the end of the long day. ( <- This seems obvious, but as long as you haven't made that mistake, you haven't really learnt that lesson. And there a many more that you should learn before pulling off your dream.)

I paid them travelexpenses, the mua I paid extra for the use of her materials, I paid for food and the catsuit. One of my friends brought his lights. I brought slider, tripods, boom, mic and camera. I used my parents living room as 3 different locations.

It can be done.
(Ignore the licencing of the music: that did cost more than the rest. Use affordable stockmusic!)
It will cost you something, but it won't be a waste at all. It is a lot cheaper than your feature and making shorts will save your feature money, because you will make mistakes and learn from them before wasting half a million dollars on errors that could have been avoided by spending a few hundred dollars and some time.
I understand you are eager.
That is good.
Just don't bite off more than you can chew, please.

Think of short ideas that are in your grasp budget-wise, gear wise, crew wise and location wise.
If you can't rent the Taj Mahal, don't put it in the script

I've got an idea to shoot in Venice, Italy, but I can't afford that now. So I focus on other things now, that might bring that possibilty closer.

Btw, you have an interesting way of anwsering questions: it feels more like ignoring it, because you just say you understand. But how can anyone point to things you need to put some extra attetion to if you don't share details?
I'm not ignoring anything. I'm taking everything you've said into consideration. I'm a little confused to what you mean about sharing details. I have shared details. But again what you've have shared is usual information and I'd like to thank you for it.
Smithproductions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 02:05 PM   #21
WalterB
Basic Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Rotterdam Area, The Netherlands
Posts: 3,442
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smithproductions View Post
I'm not ignoring anything. I'm taking everything you've said into consideration. I'm a little confused to what you mean about sharing details. I have shared details. But again what you've have shared is usual information and I'd like to thank you for it.
What have you done so far, besides making the short and setting up the IGG page?
Who did you tell about it?
How many people are in 'your crowd'? (amount of followers on Twitter/Instagram, likes on facebook, subscribers on YouTube, connections on LinkedIn, number of people on your mailinglist)
Did you release press releases?
What social media did you use?
Without this it is hard to offer advice for your next campaign.

There are 5 specific questions here looking for specific answers.
I now understand they seem rethorical in nature, but they are not.

You are welcome, btw.
WalterB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 02:15 PM   #22
mlesemann
IndieTalk Moderator
 
mlesemann's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Lakewood, NJ
Posts: 1,636
Quote:
Originally posted by SmithProductions:
I want to stay true to the story without having to compromise a single detail of the story.
Not only will that NOT happen, regardless of the budget, you're shooting yourself in the foot by thinking that way.

And yes, I've been there - I've written & produced 2 features, and at any level you need to compromise.
mlesemann is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 04:47 PM   #23
Smithproductions
Account Disabled
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: United States
Posts: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by WalterB View Post
What have you done so far, besides making the short and setting up the IGG page?
Who did you tell about it?
How many people are in 'your crowd'? (amount of followers on Twitter/Instagram, likes on facebook, subscribers on YouTube, connections on LinkedIn, number of people on your mailinglist)
Did you release press releases?
What social media did you use?
Without this it is hard to offer advice for your next campaign.

There are 5 specific questions here looking for specific answers.
I now understand they seem rethorical in nature, but they are not.

You are welcome, btw.
I've posted on twitter and facebook. I've gotten a few like. I've also posted on google plus. I haven't did a press release.
Smithproductions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 04:50 PM   #24
Smithproductions
Account Disabled
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: United States
Posts: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlesemann View Post
Not only will that NOT happen, regardless of the budget, you're shooting yourself in the foot by thinking that way.

And yes, I've been there - I've written & produced 2 features, and at any level you need to compromise.

What I meant is that I don't want to compromise so much that it affects the storyline and the audience does not get the full affect.
Smithproductions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 08:37 PM   #25
directorik
IndieTalk's Resident Guru
 
directorik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: hollywood
Posts: 9,277
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smithproductions View Post

Do you have a full, complete, line item budget finished?

Yes. I do.
May I see it?
directorik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 10:10 AM   #26
Smithproductions
Account Disabled
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: United States
Posts: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by directorik View Post
May I see it?
Sure.
Smithproductions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 03:18 PM   #27
directorik
IndieTalk's Resident Guru
 
directorik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: hollywood
Posts: 9,277
Great.

Last edited by directorik; 07-15-2016 at 12:45 PM.
directorik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 03:45 AM   #28
AudioPostExpert
Basic - Premiere Expired
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Europe
Posts: 2,633
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smithproductions View Post
If I received all the funds today. I could execute my project to perfection, but that's always your biggest issues as a indie film maker is getting the funds for your project.
I'm not saying getting funds is easy, it's not, even at the best of times it's difficult. BUT (!), getting funds is NOT the "biggest issue". The biggest issue is using those funds wisely and making a decent/watchable film! The fact that you think you could execute your project to perfection just by getting your funding is the very fact why most of those who know anything about filmmaking would not donate, because we know it takes a lot of skill and experience to even execute a project well, let alone to perfection. So, the fact that you think you could execute your project to perfection just given the funding, is a very strong indicator that you wouldn't even execute it well! Do as others have suggested, go out and make a bunch of shorts, to improve your skill and experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smithproductions View Post
What I meant is that I don't want to compromise so much that it affects the storyline and the audience does not get the full affect.
Same as above! As mlesemann told you, you will absolutely have to compromise. This statement would still be true even if you got 10 times the funding you're asking for! In practise, the skill of filmmaking is not trying to avoid any compromise, because that would require an unlimited budget and no one (not even the most famous filmmakers) gets an unlimited budget. The skill of filmmaking in practise is knowing how to hide compromises from the audience, even big compromises which do affect the storyline. By not appreciating this fact, let alone actually having the skill/experience to successfully hide compromises from audience, you are demonstrating that you don't even know of the existence of some the basic practicalities of filmmaking let alone have any idea how to overcome them. This is why mlesemann said you are shooting yourself in the foot!

I know you have a dream to make your film, ALL filmmakers do. I'm suggesting you employ some patience and develop some filmmaking knowledge, skill and experience before you try to fund/make it, because you'll need these attributes to stand any realistic chance of making a watchable film and therefore to stand any realistic chance of strangers giving you money to make a watchable film.

G
AudioPostExpert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 10:02 AM   #29
directorik
IndieTalk's Resident Guru
 
directorik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: hollywood
Posts: 9,277
Excellent advice from APE.

Mark, I saw what you call a line item budget. It tells me you do
not have the knowledge and experience to manage half a million
dollars. Money is not going allow you to make a great film or
even to realize your dream. I hope you take the time to build
your filmmaking knowledge, skill and experience - then you might
be able to attract more people to donate money to a crowdfunding
campaign.
directorik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 01:10 PM   #30
Smithproductions
Account Disabled
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: United States
Posts: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by AudioPostExpert View Post
I'm not saying getting funds is easy, it's not, even at the best of times it's difficult. BUT (!), getting funds is NOT the "biggest issue". The biggest issue is using those funds wisely and making a decent/watchable film! The fact that you think you could execute your project to perfection just by getting your funding is the very fact why most of those who know anything about filmmaking would not donate, because we know it takes a lot of skill and experience to even execute a project well, let alone to perfection. So, the fact that you think you could execute your project to perfection just given the funding, is a very strong indicator that you wouldn't even execute it well! Do as others have suggested, go out and make a bunch of shorts, to improve your skill and experience.



Same as above! As mlesemann told you, you will absolutely have to compromise. This statement would still be true even if you got 10 times the funding you're asking for! In practise, the skill of filmmaking is not trying to avoid any compromise, because that would require an unlimited budget and no one (not even the most famous filmmakers) gets an unlimited budget. The skill of filmmaking in practise is knowing how to hide compromises from the audience, even big compromises which do affect the storyline. By not appreciating this fact, let alone actually having the skill/experience to successfully hide compromises from audience, you are demonstrating that you don't even know of the existence of some the basic practicalities of filmmaking let alone have any idea how to overcome them. This is why mlesemann said you are shooting yourself in the foot!

I know you have a dream to make your film, ALL filmmakers do. I'm suggesting you employ some patience and develop some filmmaking knowledge, skill and experience before you try to fund/make it, because you'll need these attributes to stand any realistic chance of making a watchable film and therefore to stand any realistic chance of strangers giving you money to make a watchable film.

G
Your clearly misunderstanding what I'm saying. For an independent filmmaker getting funds for your project is one of the biggest issues. Because you don't have a huge studio backing your project. Clearly if you do get any kind of funding you have to know how to use them properly. Like what I said before. You clearly are misunderstanding my statement. You obviously have to compromise since you are a indie film maker, but you alway try not to.
Smithproductions is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
actionfilm, featurefilm, indiefilm, thillerfilm


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:01 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.


©IndieTalk