Home

Go Back   IndieTalk - Indie Film Forum > Making The Film > Screenwriting

Old 03-08-2016, 08:26 PM   #1
Panos
Basic Member

Spec Scripts

Does anyone know any web page where we can find spec screenplays only?
Most web pages have specs and shooting scripts mixed!
Panos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today   #1A
film guy
Basic Member

Old 03-09-2016, 11:55 PM   #2
moonshieldmedia
Basic Member

Not sure why there would be a site with people listing their spec scripts. That would be a good way to get your idea ripped off.

People tend to keep spec scripts private unless showing agents or friends for feedback and notes.

The closest thing I can think of would be The Black List, which is a website and organization that puts together the best unproduced scrips, but you need to pay or have industry cred to be a member.

EDIT: I understand what you're asking now. At first I thought you wanted to see scrips that have not been made into movies yet. Sorry, can't help you.

Last edited by moonshieldmedia; 03-11-2016 at 12:43 AM.
moonshieldmedia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 04:54 AM   #3
conradekeke
Basic Member

I guess you may start also by going through some loglines on sites like stage 32 and other similar sites. You can go through them and solicit the authors under any arrangements convenient on how to get their specs.
conradekeke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 11:59 AM   #4
Panos
Basic Member

I mean spec scripts from known movies for educational purposes. Like the spec script from the sisth sense I found on IMDB
Old 03-10-2016, 12:26 PM   #5
directorik
IndieTalk's Resident Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panos View Post
Does anyone know any web page where we can find spec screenplays only?
Most web pages have specs and shooting scripts mixed!
No. There are no websites that post only spec screenplays of
known movies. All of the screenplay websites have a mix. You'll
have to do some research yourself; decide what screenplay you
would like to read for educational purposes and look for it.
directorik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 12:27 PM   #6
SkyCopeland
Basic - Premiere Expired

This was not only a super easy Google, but we had a similar thread only like two weeks ago.

screenplay.com
SkyCopeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 10:03 AM   #7
Panos
Basic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyCopeland View Post
This was not only a super easy Google, but we had a similar thread only like two weeks ago.

screenplay.com
There are no scpec scripts in this site!
Old 03-11-2016, 10:31 AM   #8
SkyCopeland
Basic - Premiere Expired

Quote:
There are no scpec scripts in this site!
Do you put zero effort into everything you do?

http://www.screenplay.com/resources/...riptindex.html
Old 03-13-2016, 09:51 PM   #9
Panos
Basic Member

Quote:
Do you put zero effort into everything you do?

http://www.screenplay.com/resources/...riptindex.html
So you had that page but you posted here the home page to see whether I'll put effort to search or... blah blah blah
You people and your negativity are a great inspiration for screenwritters, aren't you?

I searched for 1 hour but I couldn't go this page and still I don't know how you got to: http://www.screenplay.com/resources/...

I only can go to: http://www.screenplay.com/writingresources where there are no screenplays!!

Thank you anyway, although no script can't be opened or downloaded... maybe they'll fix it.
Old 03-14-2016, 01:06 AM   #10
SkyCopeland
Basic - Premiere Expired

Quote:
So you had that page but you posted here the home page to see whether I'll put effort to search or... blah blah blah
You people and your negativity are a great inspiration for screenwritters, aren't you?

I searched for 1 hour but I couldn't go this page and still I don't know how you got to: http://www.screenplay.com/resources/...

I only can go to: http://www.screenplay.com/writingresources where there are no screenplays!!

Thank you anyway, although no script can't be opened or downloaded... maybe they'll fix it.
I'm not here to inspire you. People should have the inspiration to do their own research. We have OTHER threads about this EXACT thing.

http://www.screenplaydb.com/film/all/

There you go, took me a single google to find 419 scripts that are all easy to just click on and download.

---------------------------

Perhaps screenplay.com was a bad one to send you to, the site is a little broken and requires some outsource searching to get things. You'd take something from that list and then google "screenplay.com SCRIPTNAME pdf" and it would have given you the direct link instead of their broken links.

However, that other site screenplaydb.com seems to have their links working.

For example, Enjoy Clockwork Orange: http://www.screenplaydb.com/film/scr...ork_orange.pdf

Being familiar with that film's history, I can tell you this script is a fake, but it is a correct spec script, however written by a fan of the film after it had been released.
Old 03-14-2016, 11:04 AM   #11
directorik
IndieTalk's Resident Guru

Quote:
Being familiar with that film's history, I can tell you this script is a fake, but it is a correct spec script, however written by a fan of the film after it had been released.
I'm really confused about what you call a “spec” script. I always
thought “spec” was short for “speculation”; a script written in the
hope of selling it. How can a transcript of a finished movie be
called a correct spec script? How can "A Clockwork Orange" be called
a spec script?

Panos specifically asked if there were any web sites that “spec
screenplay only”. Your link screenplaydb isn't only spec screenplays.
On the first three pages I saw only five spec scripts. Unless I am
misunderstanding what a “spec script” is.
directorik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 03:32 PM   #12
SkyCopeland
Basic - Premiere Expired

Quote:
Originally Posted by directorik View Post
I'm really confused about what you call a “spec” script. I always
thought “spec” was short for “speculation”; a script written in the
hope of selling it. How can a transcript of a finished movie be
called a correct spec script? How can "A Clockwork Orange" be called
a spec script?

Panos specifically asked if there were any web sites that “spec
screenplay only”. Your link screenplaydb isn't only spec screenplays.
On the first three pages I saw only five spec scripts. Unless I am
misunderstanding what a “spec script” is.
Hmmm... well every film that's ever been made most likely has a spec script that was used before it was made? So "A Clockwork Orange" would have one. Of course this isn't it because it includes the Dancing in the Rain lines, which wasn't in the actual script at any point. However it is still a spec script as it includes no production notes.

Spec Script is a format. Notice how the OP mentions he found one for The Sixth Sense. Spec Scripts are the dialogue and action of a film in 3rd person. You could compare it to a novel, it's a piece of art, written by a screenwriter.

And yes, it is speculation because Spec Scripts don't get made into movies. They sell the story of the movie. Production Scripts get made into movies. Spec Scripts dream to one day grow up into Production Scripts.

This is where I'm unsure... because I'm not a screenwriter... but I don't believe the screenwriter makes the Production Script? I've heard this is mostly ghost writers and directors that add all the production details into a script (such as angles, marks, dolly movement, etc...) this Production Script can even be in 2nd Person, telling us what WE see as the audience watching a screen.

------

tl;dr

Spec Script = Speculation of movie's story without production notes
Production Script = Optioned Script added in with the production notes
Old 03-14-2016, 05:35 PM   #13
Panos
Basic Member

Quote:
I'm not here to inspire you. People should have the inspiration to do their own research. We have OTHER threads about this EXACT thing.

http://www.screenplaydb.com/film/all/

There you go, took me a single google to find 419 scripts that are all easy to just click on and download.

---------------------------

Perhaps screenplay.com was a bad one to send you to, the site is a little broken and requires some outsource searching to get things. You'd take something from that list and then google "screenplay.com SCRIPTNAME pdf" and it would have given you the direct link instead of their broken links.

However, that other site screenplaydb.com seems to have their links working.

For example, Enjoy Clockwork Orange: http://www.screenplaydb.com/film/scr...ork_orange.pdf

I will pass the irrelevant and nonsensical assumption that I asked for inspiration by encouraging you to visit this kind of threads.

I know sites where there are not just handrends but thousands of scripts, like IMDB. I just asked for a site where there are ONLY spec scripts.

The sites you keep posting have not only spec scripts, they have also shooting scripts.
Old 03-14-2016, 05:42 PM   #14
SkyCopeland
Basic - Premiere Expired

Quote:
I will pass the irrelevant and nonsensical assumption that I asked for inspiration by encouraging you to visit this kind of threads.

I know sites where there are not just handrends but thousands of scripts, like IMDB. I just asked for a site where there are ONLY spec scripts.

The sites you keep posting have not only spec scripts, they have also shooting scripts.
It is just sounding like you're lazy at this point. You can't be troubled to click on different scripts? A hundred spec scripts aren't enough for you? You need a thousand spec scripts?
Old 03-14-2016, 05:56 PM   #15
Panos
Basic Member

Quote:
It is just sounding like you're lazy at this point. You can't be troubled to click on different scripts? A hundred spec scripts aren't enough for you? You need a thousand spec scripts?
Haha!! What are you made of mate? I keep reading spec scripts everyday and I find them by searching on internet! I just asked if someone knows any place where there are only specs and so I don't have to go through all this searching and... I think I'm tired at this point.

"A hundred spec scripts aren't enough for you? You need a thousand spec scripts?" That was really funny!