Home Your Ad Here

Go Back   IndieTalk - Indie Film Forum > Making The Film > Post Production

Old 07-10-2015, 06:55 AM   #16
soundslikejoe
Basic Member

It's always better to say there is "a range" of options. To say everything should be mixed in a theater sized dub stage... suggestion, not requirement. Are all AAA features mixed on large dub stages? Of course! Should most medium budget indies (millions of dollars) be mixed on dub stages? Yes. Are all small and medium features mixed, or even QCd, in larger rooms? No. Suprisingly... these mixes can still translate well in theaters... if the pilot knows how to fly. There are a wide variety of room sizes that are used for Dubbing (different process than sound editing), and there are MANY rooms that book dubbing sessions every day that aren't theater size.

Even Dolby certification doesn't require something that's 30ft long. A dub room can be Dolby certified with as little as 150 square feet (45 meters sq). That's a 10x15 room! Not very big. If you want to get super nerdy about acoustics... square feet doesn't even matter as much as cubic feet (volume) of the space.

Plus... there are dozens of other things that make a room "certified" by Dolby, but even then... a good sound person can mix in places that aren't certified. So long as the acoustics are good, the monitors are accurate, and the pilot is experienced... it's going to turn out better than a "video guy" mucking around with his Adobe software.

Last edited by soundslikejoe; 07-10-2015 at 07:20 AM.
soundslikejoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today   #1A
film guy
Basic Member

Old 07-10-2015, 07:26 AM   #17
soundslikejoe
Basic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfoster View Post
This is great news, it sounds attainable for me!

What major motion pictures have been edited just using headphones?
I have a sony mdr-7506 for production sound, what sort of headphones would you recommend for editing/mixing?
You may have misunderstood me... Editing is different than mixing. Headphones are used, but not "exclusively" for anything. So you're not going to find any major motion pictures that have been edited with just headphones. Any decent professional headphones are suitable for editing certain elements. Obviously, you can't edit 5.1 sound effects stems on headphones. No headphones are suitable for mixing feature films.
soundslikejoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 09:37 AM   #18
AudioPostExpert
Basic - Premiere Expired

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundslikejoe View Post
That's a 10x15 room! Not very big.
Absolute minimum Dolby requirements are a mix position 5m (16'4") from the speakers, pretty tough to achieve that in 10x15 room! As the mix position must also be 2/3 to the back of the room, the room needs to be at least 22ft long. Although I personally have never seen Dolby grant feature mixing accreditation for a room anywhere near that small.

Quote:
There are a wide variety of room sizes that are used for Dubbing (different process than sound editing), and there are MANY rooms that book dubbing sessions every day that aren't theater size.
Absolutely, but then of course the vast majority of commercial Dubbing/Re-Recording is for TV rather than theatrical features and in most cases a 20ft-30ft long room is perfectly adequate for TV Dubbing.

Quote:
So long as the acoustics are good, the monitors are accurate, and the pilot is experienced... it's going to turn out better than a "video guy" mucking around with his Adobe software.
Of course, almost anything is going to sound better than a video guy mucking around with an NLE. As I said though, it's impossible to get accurate monitoring in a small room with near-field monitors because cinemas are large rooms with far-field monitors and surround and sub arrays. It's possible that a particular mix may translate from a small room to a cinema but if does, it's almost as much luck as judgement, even with a good pilot. In fact, a good pilot would insist on at least a QC run for this very reason, as should a competent producer. I'm sure some nano budget filmmakers break this rule/guideline and I'm sure some even get away with it on occasion!

G
AudioPostExpert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 05:14 PM   #19
Lejeunekyle
Basic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AudioPostExpert View Post
While there may not be any major theatrical audio post facilities near you, there are likely to be some smaller TV audio post studios, which could be a good starting place to learn some of the technical basics. If there really isn't anything near you and relocating is out of the question, then I'm not sure what the solution is, or even if there is one.

G
I don't think there are any. There are a few news stations, but none of them are hiring, or looking for interns as far as I can tell. I don't even make 10k a year so I can't really afford to relocate or even live on my own. I don't know what else I can do
Lejeunekyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 08:31 PM   #20
Cracker Funk
Account Disabled

Forget the debate going on here, that's a major digression from the OP's post.

Would I like free/inexpensive audio help from someone who is up-and-coming and passionate about their work?

Uhhhhhh, YES!
Cracker Funk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 09:18 PM   #21
Lejeunekyle
Basic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cracker Funk View Post
Forget the debate going on here, that's a major digression from the OP's post.

Would I like free/inexpensive audio help from someone who is up-and-coming and passionate about their work?

Uhhhhhh, YES!
What are you looking to have edited?
Lejeunekyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 09:27 PM   #22
Cracker Funk
Account Disabled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lejeunekyle View Post
What are you looking to have edited?
A trailer. We should probably communicate privately from hence forth. I'll send you a PM. The main point of my post was just to say that people shouldn't be looking a gift horse in the mouth!
Cracker Funk is offline   Reply With Quote