Home

Go Back   IndieTalk - Indie Film Forum > Classified Ads > Industry Jobs and Services > Global Ad

Old 05-03-2015, 09:38 AM   #1
film_autre
Basic Member

Sound Designer needed

Hey guys,

I need someone who can with their best attempt to fix the dialogue on my short film, aswell as design sound for the film, I have a score for it, the film is called God in a Box, it was my first attempt at directing without being on camera, the film isnt that great and is only 3 minutes long.

as the film was 0 I can pay around 30 for it to be done, if its possible to get a 2.1 mix then that would be great also.

so if your interested please reply here or pm me and I will get back to you.

Regards
Film Autre
film_autre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today   #1A
film guy
Basic Member

Old 05-03-2015, 09:58 AM   #2
Dreadylocks
Basic - Premiere Expired

Quote:
Originally Posted by film_autre View Post
the film isnt that great and is only 3 minutes long.
Dude, you need to project more confidence if you want to entice someone to work with you for free/peanuts. Not trying to be harsh, this is honest advice. Part of being and acting professional is maintaining a positive and confident attitude, despite what you may actually think about yourself or your project.
Dreadylocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 12:17 PM   #3
gorillaonabike
Basic Member

As a note, I've done a lot of stuff with Film Autre and he's a stand up guy who has great potential. He's a good guy to know.
gorillaonabike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 12:39 PM   #4
mussonman
Basic Member

I PMed you
mussonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 12:54 PM   #5
film_autre
Basic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreadylocks View Post
Dude, you need to project more confidence if you want to entice someone to work with you for free/peanuts. Not trying to be harsh, this is honest advice. Part of being and acting professional is maintaining a positive and confident attitude, despite what you may actually think about yourself or your project.
I understand where you're coming from, however I'm an honest person, this short isn't that great, however its completion is necessary so that I can say here's my first short (that I directed alone).

if it was great and had potential, I would have more enthusiasm.
Old 05-04-2015, 01:46 AM   #6
AudioPostExpert
Basic - Premiere Expired

Quote:
if its possible to get a 2.1 mix then that would be great also.
I'm curious why you're asking for this format, do you really mean 2.1 or do you mean 3.0?

G
AudioPostExpert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 09:21 AM   #7
jrusso
Basic - Premiere Expired

Quote:
I understand where you're coming from, however I'm an honest person, this short isn't that great, however its completion is necessary so that I can say here's my first short (that I directed alone).

I completely understand. I believe part of being a professional is also about not over hyping a turd. However, I also think you should learn the art of the spin. Instead of "it's not that great" you could say, this little film may not win any awards, but will be a great stepping stone and reel piece for anyone willing to work on it.
jrusso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 11:50 AM   #8
film_autre
Basic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AudioPostExpert View Post
I'm curious why you're asking for this format, do you really mean 2.1 or do you mean 3.0?

G
I meant headphone mix whatever numbers they are (2.0?) ... im not an audio file
Old 05-04-2015, 12:01 PM   #9
mussonman
Basic Member

* audiophile *

Old 05-04-2015, 12:52 PM   #10
AudioPostExpert
Basic - Premiere Expired

Quote:
I meant headphone mix whatever numbers they are (2.0?)
For headphones you would need a stereo 2.0 mix but you seem to be asking for a headphone mix in addition to a standard stereo 2.0 mix. Does that mean you just want want one standard stereo 2.0 mix or do you want a standard stereo mix plus a standard stereo mix adapted/optimised for headphones or do you want a standard stereo mix plus a binaural mix?

I don't mean to be pedantic about this but as a filmmaker you do have to know something about audio and audio formats. If you are going to engage/hire people to handle audio post for you, you have to be clear and precise about what it is you want them to do. I have been involved in more than one project which turned into a nightmare/disaster because the producers specified the wrong thing for us to make. The contracts clearly stipulated what the producers required so they didn't have a leg to stand on when they realised they didn't have what they needed and started complaining. Even though we'd done what we were asked and were covered legally, it still wasn't a desirable outcome for us and obviously a much worse outcome for the producers!

G
AudioPostExpert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 01:43 PM   #11
film_autre
Basic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AudioPostExpert View Post
For headphones you would need a stereo 2.0 mix but you seem to be asking for a headphone mix in addition to a standard stereo 2.0 mix. Does that mean you just want want one standard stereo 2.0 mix or do you want a standard stereo mix plus a standard stereo mix adapted/optimised for headphones or do you want a standard stereo mix plus a binaural mix?

I don't mean to be pedantic about this but as a filmmaker you do have to know something about audio and audio formats. If you are going to engage/hire people to handle audio post for you, you have to be clear and precise about what it is you want them to do. I have been involved in more than one project which turned into a nightmare/disaster because the producers specified the wrong thing for us to make. The contracts clearly stipulated what the producers required so they didn't have a leg to stand on when they realised they didn't have what they needed and started complaining. Even though we'd done what we were asked and were covered legally, it still wasn't a desirable outcome for us and obviously a much worse outcome for the producers!

G
I appreciate your questioning since that is how I will learn, I was under the impression a 2.0 mix would cover both standard stereo and headphone (thought they were basically the same thing) so are they different?

I have no idea what a binaural mix is, its difficult to describe what I want exactly but the idea is that the film will be on youtube and watched by no one but if they do, then they would most likely be watching from a computer or device using its speakers, with a few wearing headphones, so what would you suggest be the optimal mix for the general public?
Old 05-04-2015, 01:52 PM   #12
gorillaonabike
Basic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mussonman View Post
* audiophile *

No, he really is an audio file. Amazing how advanced tech can get.

I feel a short film coming on...
gorillaonabike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 02:03 PM   #13
mussonman
Basic Member

Rob Schneider is.... an MP3! And he's gonna find out... it's not EASY being an Mp3!

"Why am I always getting played?"
Old 05-04-2015, 02:33 PM   #14
jrusso
Basic - Premiere Expired

Quote:
I appreciate your questioning since that is how I will learn, I was under the impression a 2.0 mix would cover both standard stereo and headphone (thought they were basically the same thing) so are they different?

I have no idea what a binaural mix is, its difficult to describe what I want exactly but the idea is that the film will be on youtube and watched by no one but if they do, then they would most likely be watching from a computer or device using its speakers, with a few wearing headphones, so what would you suggest be the optimal mix for the general public?
Careful, I think AudioPostExpert suffers from Savant Syndrome. Best not open that bag o' worms.

Bi-naural refers to... "BIN" meaning 2 (short for "binary" which refers to a number expressed in the binary numeral system, or base-2 numeral system) ... and "AURAL" relates to the "ear" or hearing.

Binaural as a complete word refers to the use of two microphones, accounting for "head shadow" and "ear spacing" in creating interaural level differences. This allows for a more natural final stereo mix for listening through headphones. If your sound designer captures on one microphone and merely uses the post production tools in his DAW, to create a stereo image, the binaural effect is non-existent.

However, you were merely asking if your final output can be in stereo, and the answer is "yes." Even if it's not recorded binaurally. A good sound designer, at the very least, will use stereo imaging to create stereo tracks for your SFX, and will code your final master, at the very least, in a format which allows for stereo sound. I have good experience with creating SFX for mine and other's projects. You can PM me, and I'd be happy to help for nothing more than film credit.

Last edited by jrusso; 05-04-2015 at 05:11 PM.
jrusso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 03:33 PM   #15
Dreadylocks
Basic - Premiere Expired

Quote:

Don't get me wrong, I definitely wasn't trying to say you should lie to people. But like j said, learning to put a positive spin on things is really useful. Focusing on the negative makes you sound like a negative person, which is never a good thing. Focus on the positive and emphasize that. And honestly, your project is probably not nearly as terrible as you think

Just my 2 cents.
Dreadylocks is offline   Reply With Quote