Home Your Ad Here

Go Back   IndieTalk - Indie Film Forum > Showcase > Screening Room > Narrative

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-01-2014, 02:20 PM   #16
Jardoss
Basic Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Breian Herdal
Posts: 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aspiring Mogul View Post
I haven't watched the whole video, but it looks good.

You definitely have potential. But there's on thing - the opening sequence had Clowne appearing before a parole board, and the board adjudicator is never seen. How about having him appear with an attorney, who would then advise him on the conditions of his release? This way, both can act around a table, and the viewer can see both persons.
Thanks! I definitely see your point, but introducing that many characters in the opening of the pilot would simply (I think) cause confusion. You've already got so many key characters to deal with: Gary, the cop, the Russian guy and Tim (on the computer). So I think that introducing an attorney and the board adjudicator, then never seeing them again, would cause unnecessary confusion. That said, this is only my opinioon and why I did it the way I did

Jarand
Jardoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today   #1A
film guy
Basic Member
 
Posts: 17

 
Old 07-05-2014, 05:01 PM   #17
itarumaa
Basic Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Tampere, Finland
Posts: 168
Excellent work. Only thing that I donīt like is that the Clowne is too Hollywood, calling 911, character names etc. Would be much nicer to see some local culture aspects, maybe even stereotypes of Norway than Hollywood style.

Would I like to see episode 2? Yes, please.
itarumaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 06:05 PM   #18
Jardoss
Basic Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Breian Herdal
Posts: 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by itarumaa View Post
Excellent work. Only thing that I donīt like is that the Clowne is too Hollywood, calling 911, character names etc. Would be much nicer to see some local culture aspects, maybe even stereotypes of Norway than Hollywood style.

Would I like to see episode 2? Yes, please.
Thanks a lot for the feedback, I know what you mean. However, being from Norway, I guess we're a little obsessed about "getting out there", and don't want our culture to be a barrier. If we'd go with the Norwegian stereotype, we'd have to do it in Norwegian as well-- which might be a big turn-off for a lot of people :/

Lovely to hear that you'd like another episode!

Best,
Jarand
Jardoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 03:35 PM   #19
Micah Conrad
Basic Member
 
Micah Conrad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 62
Post this on YouTube brah then monetize it. Guarantee you'll get a chunk of money.
Micah Conrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 07:29 AM   #20
Patchy
Basic Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Chicago
Posts: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikola Damov View Post
First of all congrats on finishing the film. I loved it. You are all very talented and you'll probably go really far .


Something that I don't like and I know it may sound weird but it's the way you present yourself. You say you're a group of 18-19 years olds that decided to do a ''little project'' yet you're aiming for NETFLIX with hopes of getting financing and possibly doing a whole show out of it which is not ''a little project''.

Outside the fact that you're young you have a budget and equipment that most of the people here would only dream of.

80 000$ worth of equipment ,full cast and crew and a budget of 13 000$ is something that I wouldn't particulary describe as "' a group of high school friends got a camera and shot a little movie " .

I hope I don't sound like a douchebag and again I really admire you and I think you're crazy talented.
I agree with this. However, considering the worst aspects of the film were its composition and writing (essentially the only things Jardoss was truly responsible for), I don't think he's nearly as talented as you're assuming.

I don't mean to come across as an asshole - I'm just telling it like it is.

EDIT: Yeah, I definitely came across as an asshole. Jardoss: I did enjoy the pilot... I just don't think you should let any of this positive reception get to your head. Let's say you had to make a short film with little-to-no budget, a DSLR, and only a friend or two to help (no professionals). Would it be nearly as high quality as CLOWNE? I doubt it - and that's because you're young, you haven't had time to develop your skills yet. Get what I'm saying? The only reason CLOWNE's as good as it is is because you had expensive equipment - and PROFESSIONALS who knew how to use it.

Last edited by Patchy; 07-11-2014 at 07:38 AM.
Patchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 07:55 AM   #21
itarumaa
Basic Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Tampere, Finland
Posts: 168
Jardoss, what are you going to do with the film now?

I mean, if you want to get "hits" (viewers) then vimeo is pointless, youtube is the way to go.

Also there seem not to be any website for the movie, for instance you should have page only for this CLOWNE film in Facebook.

Are you going to send the film to movie festivals?

Since you have created so great film, then it is really shame if it is only in vimeo.
itarumaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 03:59 PM   #22
Jardoss
Basic Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Breian Herdal
Posts: 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patchy View Post
I agree with this. However, considering the worst aspects of the film were its composition and writing (essentially the only things Jardoss was truly responsible for), I don't think he's nearly as talented as you're assuming.

I don't mean to come across as an asshole - I'm just telling it like it is.

EDIT: Yeah, I definitely came across as an asshole. Jardoss: I did enjoy the pilot... I just don't think you should let any of this positive reception get to your head. Let's say you had to make a short film with little-to-no budget, a DSLR, and only a friend or two to help (no professionals). Would it be nearly as high quality as CLOWNE? I doubt it - and that's because you're young, you haven't had time to develop your skills yet. Get what I'm saying? The only reason CLOWNE's as good as it is is because you had expensive equipment - and PROFESSIONALS who knew how to use it.
Hey Patchy. Don't worry, I was not offended! :-) However, I would like to clear up a few things: I appreciate your honesty and kind words, and agree that the writing isnít perfect, but I think youíve misunderstood this production a little: there were NO professionals involved, except a little in post-production (sound design, music and color grade). If you go back a little, I actually answered the post you quoted :-)

We were a crew of seven people, the oldest being 19. Of course, Iím not letting the appreciation and kind words get to my head; we encourage critisicm, but also appreciate support. As Iím sure you know, it fuels the next project :-) If I ever gave the impression that I was being unthankful and high on my horse, I apologize. I try to take every bit of critiscm to heartó for example, I know I need to work more on my writing, and that I could go harder on the casting next time.

Look, I know Iím not a terrific filmmaker yet, which is why I started a thread ďWill I benefit from film school?Ē, which resulted in me being admitted to USC in Los Angeles. And since youíre talking about me specifically, let me bring you in on what I did: I produced, wrote, directed, planned, cast, responsible for budget and economy, and co-edited this film. Alongside the gaffer and DOP (my friends), I also had a foot in Cinematography ó and a fantastic crew.

Truth is, youíre right: as of yet, Iím not a great filmmakeró but Iím confident Iíll get there. Iím a little unsure of what you want to achieve by pointing this out, but if how this production came along was unclear, I hope this has provided some answers. We made this film on a very very tight budget, considering the audience we wanted to reach and the script's vision. All was funded by local teenage-culture funds, friends and our own pockets. Nothing out of the ordinary as an indie-filmmaker.

I hope I managed to clear up some confusion, as I donít want to come off as ungrateful, high on my horse or an asshole. Quite frankly, this forum here is what has taught me half of what I know, and got me into filmschool. I love you guys, what can I say, which is why I always post my work here. Feel free to check out my films here, all done on DSLR's and zero-budget (although some are a little old, haha): https://vimeo.com/jarand

Best,
Jarand

Quote:
Originally Posted by itarumaa View Post
Jardoss, what are you going to do with the film now?

I mean, if you want to get "hits" (viewers) then vimeo is pointless, youtube is the way to go.

Also there seem not to be any website for the movie, for instance you should have page only for this CLOWNE film in Facebook.

Are you going to send the film to movie festivals?

Since you have created so great film, then it is really shame if it is only in vimeo.
Thank you so much for kind words, really appreciate it :-)
As of yet, we're trying to keep the film a little "under the radar", as film festivals won't screen films that have been watched by thousands. We just submitted the film to 8 festivals that admit pilots and shorts! Wish us luck!

Vimeo was chosen to reach out to the audience that might make a difference (people working with film), and not the general public just yet. We just recently also sparked some interesting in a company based in LA that will take the pilot around town, pitching it to studios We are excited!

Sooner or later of course, the film will hit YouTube and get a website.


Thanks again for the responses, good and bad, appreciate that you took the time to watch our film!
Jarand
Jardoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2017, 12:41 AM   #23
itsastruggle
Basic Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 52
What ever happened to you guys? Did your pilot get picked up? Are you still working in the industry?
itsastruggle is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
black comedy, clowne, indie, series


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:34 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.


©IndieTalk