Paying actors for first time, need help

Hello,

I am planning on shooting a scene in July, and I've contacted an agent who is representing a 12 year old kid who I need to play the part. I offered him $500 and the parents accepted. I am completely new to all of this. The agent just sent me an email asking:
"Please send a contract or deal memo once it's drafted."

This is just a low budget scene filmed at a location that I found on craigslist. I was wondering if anyone could explain to me what steps I need to take. Also Do I need a business license or insurance, or can I do without those?

Is a filming permit needed to film on someones location that I'm paying them for? Is insurance a must if I'm going to be having small falling down stunts? anything else that I should look into now?

Worst case: imagine someone gets injured on set and sues you. Hence the need for insurance.

Do some risk it and not buy insurance? Sure they do? Do some regret it? I'm sure they do.

You don't need a permit to film in a privately owned location.

Last edited:
These are answers you should look into now:

Contact your local film commission and ask if a filming permit is
needed to film on someones location that you're paying them
for. HIFF is sure you don't need one; but unless he knows the
requirements where you are shooting I would suggest looking
into it. You may need insurance for a small falling down stunt.
If the performer is injured do you have the money to pay for all
medical bills? Check with your local insurer.

The steps you need to take with the actor is to draft a contract
or deal memo and send it to the agent.

These are answers you should look into now:

Contact your local film commission and ask if a filming permit is
needed to film on someones location that you're paying them
for. HIFF is sure you don't need one; but unless he knows the
requirements where you are shooting I would suggest looking
into it. You may need insurance for a small falling down stunt.
If the performer is injured do you have the money to pay for all
medical bills? Check with your local insurer.

The steps you need to take with the actor is to draft a contract
or deal memo and send it to the agent.

who is supposed to sign the contract? the actor or the agent? the actor is under 18 so on the contract would I put his parents name?

i have a form with the information, and then i have these terms, do you think this is good or is it overkill? im going to be posting on kickstarter so maybe its good?

ACTOR DEAL MEMO
THIS CONTRACT made by and between [Pinecone Productions], (hereinafter referred to as “Producer”) and [John Smith/Parent/Guardian] (hereinafter referred to as “Performer”):

WHEREAS Producer intends to produce a web-series the working title of which is “The Pinecone” (“Pilot”) which is intended for online release.

AND WHEREAS Producer wishes to retain the services of Performer in connection with the Pilot, and Performer wishes to provide such services, upon the terms and conditions herein contained.

1. Photoplay, Role, Salary and Guarantee
Producer hereby employs Performer to render services in the role of Steve (the “Role”) in the Pilot at the salary of $660.00 per day. Performer accepts such employment upon the terms and conditions set out herein.

2. Term
The term of employment hereunder shall begin on or about July 4, 2014 (the “Start Date”) and continue until July 5, 2014. Producer reserves the right to discharge Performer at any time.

3. Producer’s Rights of Ownership
Producer shall be the sole and exclusive owner of all results and proceeds of Performer’s services including, without limitation, all elements created by Performer in connection with the performance and of all rights in the role portrayed by Performer in connection with the Pilot. Performer and Performer’s heirs, executors, representatives and assigns shall have no right to bring legal action against Producer for any use of the results and proceeds of Performer’s service.

4. Right to Use Name and Likeness
Producer shall have the exclusive worldwide right in perpetuity to use, simulate by any means, and license the use to third parties of Performer’s name, sobriquet, photograph, likeness, voice, signature, caricature and/or appearance (hereinafter collectively referred to as “Name and Likeness”) by any means in and in connection with the Pilot and the advertising, promotion, publicizing, exhibition, and/or other exploitation thereof in any manner and in connection with commercial advertising and publicity tie-ups. However, nothing herein contained shall require Producer to use Performer’s name, likeness or voice in any of the manners described in this Contract or to exercise any of the rights granted herein. Performer agrees to hold Producer, its agents, representatives and employees, and any third parties harmless from and against any and all claims, liabilities, losses or damages that may arise from the use of Performer’s Name and Likeness.

5. Merchandising
Producer is also granted the further exclusive worldwide right and license, but only in connection with the role portrayed by Performer in the Pilot, to use and to license to third parties the use of Performer’s Name and Likeness in and in connection with any merchandising and/or publishing undertakings.
6. Performer’s Representations
Performer warrants and represents that he/she is free to enter into this Contract, and that this Contract does not conflict with any existing contracts or agreements to which Performer is a party.

7. Indemnification
Performer releases and indemnifies and holds harmless Producer, its owners, employees, officers, agents, licensees, employees, successors and assigns from any and all liability for any loss, damage or injury sustained by Performer during the course of his/her employment hereunder.

8. Full Consideration
It is agreed that the foregoing grant of rights is made for promotional consideration only, and Producer’s exercise of the grant of rights shall be deemed full consideration for such grant.

PERFORMER/PARENT/GUARDIAN: PRODUCTION COMPANY:

Signature Signature

Print Name Print Name & Title

If Signatory is under 18: I represent and warrant that I am the parent or legal guardian of the minor whose name appears above, that I have read and approve of the foregoing Agreement, and consent to its execution by my child/ward.

officially speaking, you do need a permit in Los Angeles even if it's a private location. for smaller shoots though it is very unlikely anything will happen, unless a neighbor complains. the reason for the requirement is big films will pull up with huge trucks and make their presence felt in the area.

if you did get a permit it would run you $600 + $150 notification fee, plus liability insurance, with an extra $150 to have the city's name on it.

once again, legally speaking you must provide everyone on your set with workers compensation, but in reality it all depends on the size of the shoot. also, insurance companies will not provide worker's comp for stunts. your only options are to get it from the state fund or a payroll company. the state fund requires you to jump through a number of hoops. payroll would cost around $500 for the service and then $700 for the insurance.

a good middle ground is to get 'accidental medical benefits' insurance, which covers people up to $50k per incident.

I'm curious how you came up with the $500 rate for the 12 year old? is there something special about the kid? for $500 you can almost get a name actor if you are shooting in Los Angeles.

if you are shooting only one standalone scene for fun, unless you are independently wealthy and even then, your total cost should be as close as possible to $0. in my opinion, you should try as hard as possible to not deal with any rules or regulations, and focus purely on the creative, until your shoots become large enough that the rules and regulations can no longer be avoided.

lol me and my brother are trying to pay for it. We're going to raise the credit card limit and probably ask parents for a loan

thanks for the advice everyone

If you have to get a loan to pay for this, I would highly, highly suggest that you don't.

I agree with Mike Regent, if this is just one scene for fun or a short, you should be able to get actors for free (more like food + credit), especially young kids for just one scene.

Paying an unknown child actor $500 is madness.

Back