Home Your Ad Here

Go Back   IndieTalk - Indie Film Forum > IndieTalk > Announcements > Suggestions and Support

Old 04-09-2014, 08:28 PM   #1
Beatlesfan1225
Basic - Premiere Expired

Double Posters Getting A Bit Much...

Alright,

So is it just me, or has double posting been remarkably prevalent recently? In the past week I've seen at least five different users all reposting their threads over and over in the forum - I saw one today that was a call out for directors popping up in like 5 or 6 different forums, it basically filled the home page for me.

It used to not frustrate me, but now it's increasingly annoying, because it's people that make an account, don't read the rules, and made one specifically to spam their message all over and promote themselves - and not to be a member of the community.

Is there a way the site could block this sort of thing? I know on Craigslist the system detects if you double post something. It probably detects the text or the title. It seems like it would be a wonderful addition to the website.

Am I the only one frustrated by it lately?!
Beatlesfan1225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today   #1A
film guy
Basic Member

Old 04-09-2014, 08:33 PM   #2
sfoster
IndieTalk Moderator

That would be a nice feature.
The other thing you could do is restrict new members from only making one thread until they have 10 posts
sfoster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 08:37 PM   #3
Beatlesfan1225
Basic - Premiere Expired

That could be a good feature sfoster - like a probationary period of sorts. I know I had to sign up for a forum for a class I was taking once, and the forum actually put me on something very similar to that, where I could only post in a couple forums and was limited to a few posts until I had been there for a bit - I'm assuming in an attempt to prevent spam or the like.

Normally I wouldn't mention anything, but I've just seen it be so obvious lately. I saw a composer two days ago posting a promotional ad for his music in a forum with a title that specifically asked him not to, in caps. Like... really?!
Old 04-09-2014, 08:39 PM   #4
Zensteve
Basic - Premiere Expired

It could be worse.

Do you bring it to the mods' attention by hitting that report button? Copy/paste all the duplicate links into one report for them, to help them get it sorted.
Zensteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 01:23 AM   #5
GuerrillaAngel
Basic - Premiere Expired

I would think that if something like this blows your gasket, you might not be cut out for filmmaking. Peace.
GuerrillaAngel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 04:07 PM   #6
Beatlesfan1225
Basic - Premiere Expired

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuerrillaAngel View Post
I would think that if something like this blows your gasket, you might not be cut out for filmmaking. Peace.
It certainly doesn't "blow my gasket" by any means. I'm just a tad frustrated by blatant disregard for rules in the pursuit of shameless self-promotion. I'm not angry, just annoyed when my pages get flooded with it.
Old 04-10-2014, 04:09 PM   #7
sfoster
IndieTalk Moderator

sfoster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 05:56 PM   #8
Alcove Audio
Basic - Premiere Expired

I was a member of a forum where you could only start one new thread after you started your account - an introduction in the "Welcome" section. You had to check
the "I read the rules and regulations box" before that thread was posted. You had to respond to ten (10) posts before you could start a new thread.

I was a member of another forum where you had to submit an application to the administrators of the forum to apply for membership. The administrators could
approve or veto an application at their own discretion.
Alcove Audio is offline   Reply With Quote