Go Back   IndieTalk - Indie Film Forum > Making The Film > Pre-Production

Old 02-26-2014, 01:28 AM   #16
Aspiring Mogul
Basic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfoster View Post
Life is for the living.
I am going to make a great short film!

The script is 3 pages, and it will take me about a year and a half to shoot.
It's a super hero action comedy

I've also got a separate, one-day crime-thriller set to film on march 9th.
Good luck!
Aspiring Mogul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today   #1A
film guy
Basic Member

Old 02-26-2014, 01:59 AM   #17
sfoster
IndieTalk Moderator

Seems like every nice red cape I can find comes with a hood.
Why isn't there just a cape
sfoster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 02:29 AM   #18
Cracker Funk
Basic Member

You're going to commit a year and a half for a three page script?! Holy shit, talk about diving into the deep end!

I 100% support your initiative to make this happen. You know, if you look at the recent examples of little guys like us who have had break-out success making a Hollywood career for themselves, a majority of them have been people who made short films that were very heavy on SFX.

Make it happen!
Cracker Funk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 08:40 AM   #19
Flicker Pictures
Basic - Premiere Expired

Keep us updated with progress if you can. All the best to you!
Flicker Pictures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 09:32 AM   #20
Nikola Damov
Basic Member

I can a build time machine for year and a half.
Nikola Damov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 03:31 PM   #21
sfoster
IndieTalk Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flicker Pictures View Post
Keep us updated with progress if you can. All the best to you!
Thanks. Hope i'm not biting off more than I can chew.
As the leading male actor I am going to drastically alter my body weight.

I'm sure I will have some questions along the way, I've never done any sfx or fight scenes.
Old 03-03-2014, 05:48 AM   #22
sfoster
IndieTalk Moderator

Week one complete.

I must say it feels great to be working towards a masterpiece. It's especially helpful to feel purpose during these trying times. Broke up with my girlfriend last month, she was such a patient and sweet woman. So I'm struggling to accept that I am not datable. I have this terrible effect on women and somehow I drive them to violence. at least i didn't end up with any permanent physical damage this time, but it was pretty damn close so i'll count myself lucky in that regard

I'm already the heaviest I've ever been in my life, so I've been stuffing my face trying to gain another 20-30lbs and an extra chin for the role of Fat White Cop. My mustache is coming in pretty well too.

It's been like a decade since I took any martial arts, but I am training myself now for 2-3 hours a day. Took a break yesterday because I've been constantly sore. I'm definitely on my way to being an old man now.. when I do my dynamic stretches / high kicks my right leg joint kept popping and felt really awkward. I was worried I would have to focus on left side only for this film, but I discovered today if I arc my right leg kicks to the inside/left then the popping stops. I'm quite happy about that, since it means my full training can continue without wearing down my joints

My main concern at this point is establishing a reliable location for the superhero transformation scene.. I have to stop shooting for like a year of intense physical training and gain a superhero physique and then resume shooting. If I lose the location in the middle of that it will screw everything up something awful
Old 03-04-2014, 01:00 AM   #23
sfoster
IndieTalk Moderator

Followed this guys advice on dynamic stretching and hurt myself today

I don't care about the pain. What's worse is the mental frustration from this setback. Only a week in and I probably have to rest now for two weeks, losing whatever progress I made.

This is what i get for taking advice off the internet
Old 03-04-2014, 01:43 AM   #24
Will Vincent
Basic - Premiere Expired

He's playing with a Vikings football, that should've been a sign to not pay attention to him.
Will Vincent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 01:45 AM   #25
sfoster
IndieTalk Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will Vincent View Post
He's playing with a Vikings football, that should've been a sign to not pay attention to him.
I'm not a sports fan so that went right over my head. But i did notice that stupid voice he did at the beginning
Old 03-04-2014, 01:54 AM   #26
Will Vincent
Basic - Premiere Expired

I'm not a sports fan either, but the Vikings are the team from my state... and they are generally awful.
Will Vincent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 12:45 PM   #27
Dreadylocks
Basic - Premiere Expired

Licensed massage therapist here.

Dynamic stretching is bad. Only stretch to where you are comfortable, you should feel a stretch but you should not be in pain. Hold your stretch for at least 20 seconds.

Active stretching is better than passive stretching. Meaning, it's typically best not to have someone assisting you in your stretch, ie having someone performing a straight-leg hamstring stretch on you. It's too easy for them to go too far and hurt you (this goes for healthy people, licensed physical therapists working on someone in rehab are a different story and you should always defer to your doctor).
Dreadylocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 01:01 PM   #28
sfoster
IndieTalk Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreadylocks View Post

Dynamic stretching is bad. Only stretch to where you are comfortable, you should feel a stretch but you should not be in pain. Hold your stretch for at least 20 seconds.

Active stretching is better than passive stretching. Meaning, it's typically best not to have someone assisting you in your stretch, ie having someone performing a straight-leg hamstring stretch on you. It's too easy for them to go too far and hurt you (this goes for healthy people, licensed physical therapists working on someone in rehab are a different story and you should always defer to your doctor).
Thanks! Wish I could try this PNF stuff that I hear is the most effective, but I don't have anyone to help me. Guess I will be sticking to active and static.. Maybe some very slow and controlled dynamic
Old 03-04-2014, 01:05 PM   #29
Dreadylocks
Basic - Premiere Expired

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfoster View Post
Wish I could try this PNF stuff that I hear is the most effective.
What are your goals with this? Are you trying to recover from an injury or just to gain more flexibility?

My PM box if full on here but you can feel free to email me if you want some more specific input (samanthatwoelevens) at (gmail) I don't want to clog up your filmmaking thread with OT stuff.
Dreadylocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 06:06 AM   #30
gorillaonabike
Basic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreadylocks View Post

Extremely useful, thanks for this. Also, slightly surreal given the thread...

In terms of the short, the recommendation is shoot a couple of shorts in-between as there is a huge learning curve. My first short was roundly praised on IndieTalk, given it was my first short. However, compared to what I'm doing now, it sucked. If you want to do something magnificent, do a few 'quick and dirty' shorts in between just to get the skill level up.

Just my $0.02
gorillaonabike is offline   Reply With Quote