Software

Hey Guys,

I was thinking the other day: It would be cool to make a big thread about all different kinds of software that could help us all.
So if you know some film related software, feel free to post it as a comment on this message.
Let me get started:

• Adobe Story
  • Hitfilm Ultimate
  • Adobe CC

Know any more?

Blender has editing, CG/animation and compositing capabilities.
Audacity is a fairly popular sound editor.
GIMP is a great alternative to PhotoShop for image editing

All three are open source.

You can get a free student license for all autodesk 3d apps.

Autodesk Maya (general 3d)
Autodesk 3ds Max (general 3d)
Autodesk Mudbox (texturing and 3d sculpting)

Scrivener for writing & pre-production planning (don't like Celtx because the free version doesn't support Mac retina screens and I won't buy the paid-for version because I don't like subscription-based software).

PowerPoint for storyboarding. (Keynote works as well, but my collaborators are on Windows machines).

Dropbox for sharing production files.

Movie*Slate app on the iPad to use as a clapper & shot log.

Final Draft 9 for final script creation (tried Fade-In, which is much cheaper, but didn't take to it), plus free FD Reader app on the iPad so I always have a copy of the script with me.

PDF Reader app on the iPad, so I have copies of all the other production docs with me. I prefer using paper copies on set, because it's easy to scribble notes on them, but having backups on the iPad means that, if I forget something, I know I have a copy I can refer to. (We never forget the iPad because it's our clapper and is on the equipment checklist).

I've recently started using Production Minds for all-round-prep. Also love WriterDuet for screenwriting. A friend and I did a screenplay together in WD, writing different scenes while sitting at two adjacent desks, and stopped to discuss and cross-read from time-to-time. Then we did the same for production design, casting and storyboards in PM. Best collaboration experience I had so far (and the script ended up being awesome ;)). We slowly transitioned to pre-production now, while waiting for the funds to come in.

Sony Movie Studio, Sound Forge, Final Draft, Movie Magic Scheduling and Budgeting, Sony Vegas Pro, Avid Media Composer, Boris Fx, Particle Illusion, Video Co-Pilot, and Red Giant.

There is also Sound Soap.

Since I haven't used them in years, I am forgetting Imovie and Final Cut.

And, there is Protools for audio editing.

Last edited:
Back