Home Your Ad Here

Go Back   IndieTalk - Indie Film Forum > The Biz > Hollywood

Old 12-19-2013, 04:39 AM   #16
Cracker Funk
Basic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfoster View Post
You can talk all you want about what 'era' it was made in. I've watched literally dozens of silent features, as well tons and tons of old movies. Hell I have seen every charlie chaplin film. I watch old movies more than I watch current film, so that is in no way or shape an excuse to me

Red dawn was hands down one of the stupidest things I've ever seen. Sadly one of my older friends seems to have liked it too. It got awkward when i told him how dumb it was but he couldn't refute any of my arguments.

Who uses rockets against unarmed teenagers and then handguns against a helicopter?? certainly not real soldiers. do you know how much those rockets cost!! and yet real armies and military intelligence did exist in that era. instead this plays out like it was scripted by a 12 year old
I don't think you're getting me. I'm not making excuses for it, because of the era it was made in. I'm saying that in order to appreciate it, you kinda just had to be there. I'm telling you that it tapped into our psyche, and unless you shared that part of our psyche, you really don't feel where we're coming from.

By comparison, I can point to one of the more popular movies of this decade -- Avengers -- and there are TONS of ways that you can tear it apart for having huge, gaping plot-holes. And yet, most audience members (myself included) loved it. We didn't pay attention to the plot-holes, cuz the movie connected with us. Same thing for Red Dawn. Yeah, in retrospect, there are plenty of plot-holes and other things that don't make sense. But it connected with us.
Cracker Funk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today   #1A
film guy
Basic Member

Old 12-19-2013, 11:57 AM   #17
sfoster
IndieTalk Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cracker Funk View Post
By comparison, I can point to one of the more popular movies of this decade -- Avengers -- and there are TONS of ways that you can tear it apart for having huge, gaping plot-holes. And yet, most audience members (myself included) loved it..
Well I concede that i will likely never be normal.
I tore into the avengers for being stupid as well. Particularly the part when they start GIVING THE HULK ORDERS. Why in gods name does the hulk listen like a good boy and take orders from tony stark. I audibly groaned seeing this for the first time
sfoster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 12:08 PM   #18
tokenwhiteboy
Basic Member

Maybe in order to bash on another flick, you need to put up one of your own as a comparison?
tokenwhiteboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 12:12 PM   #19
JoshL
Basic Member

I've said this before, and I'll probably say it again a thousand times. Taste and quality are not necessarily the same thing. You can think something is really good and not like it, and think something is terrible and love it. Absolutely nothing wrong with that, and in fact, it allows you to look at things critically without losing the enjoyment that you have, or appreciate the quality of things that you just don't like.

I'm sort of a fan of Uwe Boll because of how miserable his films are. They never fail to crack me up...except, it seems, when he's trying. I didn't care for Postal; it was a non-stop stream of dead baby jokes and toilet humor. Not my cup of tea. But on the other hand, Alone In The Dark? You could see there was a pretty fun movie buried in there, and the almost expert precision with which anything good was turned to crap!

As for giving the Hulk orders, the line between Banner and the Hulk is a lot thinner than before, which is what Bruce had been working towards (this happens in a lot of comics as well). So the rage monster still has a little of the intelligence and focus of Banner, and he has a little harder time keeping a lid on things.
JoshL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 01:27 PM   #20
sfoster
IndieTalk Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tokenwhiteboy View Post
Maybe in order to bash on another flick, you need to put up one of your own as a comparison?
Really now, what kind of an argument is this?? The only people who are qualified to be movie critics are directors? Because most movie critics have not actually directed a film you know. I can't help it if something jumps out at me as illogical, or even worse moronic. At the same time I'm not perfect, and if I make a mistake like that I would be embarrassed and ashamed. I wouldn't be above putting one of my own movies in the thread of shame if it deserved it

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshL View Post
As for giving the Hulk orders, the line between Banner and the Hulk is a lot thinner than before, which is what Bruce had been working towards (this happens in a lot of comics as well). So the rage monster still has a little of the intelligence and focus of Banner, and he has a little harder time keeping a lid on things.
I don't mean to include the avengers in the thread of shame, it doesn't deserve it IMO. But someone brought up it so I agree that it had some problems. It's a tiny mistake the film would have been better off not having.. What was the point of the order, it was basically saying just go smash stuff. they should have had the hulk go and do it on his own, minor quibble

Last edited by sfoster; 12-19-2013 at 01:35 PM.
Old 12-20-2013, 12:27 PM   #21
Zensteve
Basic - Premiere Expired

Quote:
Who uses rockets against unarmed teenagers and then handguns against a helicopter??
Heh, world news & current events. Who needs it, right?
Zensteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 12:46 PM   #22
sfoster
IndieTalk Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zensteve View Post
Heh, world news & current events. Who needs it, right?
??
Old 12-20-2013, 10:44 PM   #23
PhantomScreenwriter
Basic - Premiere Expired

Game of Death.

To get around Bruce Lee's death the people behind this concocted a story where the main character's face is changed and footage that wasn't shot with Bruce Lee has a couple of others playing him for these scenes but with an obscured face or disguise. To add insult to injury very short close up clips from Bruce's other movies were spliced into the action that was filmed after his death.

The one shining light in this movie though is the scene that Bruce Lee did appear in fully where his character progressively fights tougher opponents, using different styles of fighting, and going up floors in a pogoda. This scene was intended for the original version.

Another thing I don't like is that they actually show a clip from Bruce Lee's open casket at his funeral in a scene where his character fakes his death. Highly disrespectful to put that into a fictional film and in this context. I could understand for a documentary but not this.

I add this movie, bar the original Pagoda sequence, to the Thread of Shame.
PhantomScreenwriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 11:30 PM   #24
sfoster
IndieTalk Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhantomScreenwriter View Post
I add this movie, bar the original Pagoda sequence, to the Thread of Shame.
awesome nun chuck fight in that.. but yes, they pasted over an actors face with a static image of bruce lee at one point
Old 12-21-2013, 02:54 AM   #25
Cracker Funk
Basic Member

Hehe, Steve you're killing me!
Cracker Funk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 05:17 AM   #26
PhantomScreenwriter
Basic - Premiere Expired

@sfoster:

I own the movie but I think the last time I tried to watch it I didn't watch much of it. I actually remember getting the DVD more for the special features because it had the un-edited pagoda fight. I will have to watch that portion again.
PhantomScreenwriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 08:12 AM   #27
mussonman
Basic Member

Quote:
It's a tiny mistake the film would have been better off not having.. What was the point of the order, it was basically saying just go smash stuff. they should have had the hulk go and do it on his own, minor quibble
It was just a joke. It wasn't a specific order. "Hulk...Smash." He was gonna do it anyway, and they didn't tell him where and what to smash, they just knew he'd find some alien victims all on his own
mussonman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 11:02 PM   #28
sfoster
IndieTalk Moderator

New addition to the thread of shame.. "We're the millers"

Jennifer Aniston, voted as one of the sexiest women of all-time, works as a stripper that earns so little she is getting evicted from her apartment

Have any of the idiots that worked on this movie actually stepped foot in a strip club? She would be able to pay her whole months rent in one weekend

Last edited by sfoster; 01-01-2014 at 11:15 PM.
Old 01-01-2014, 11:14 PM   #29
Fwilly
Basic Member

Quote:
New addition to the thread of shame.. "We're the millers"

Jennifer Aniston, voted as one of the sexiest women of all-time, works as a stripper that earns so little she is getting evicted from her apartment

Have any of the idiots that worked on this movie actually stepped foot in a strip club? She would be able to pay her whole months rent in one weekend
I don't know if I agree with this one, I actually thought it was a pretty good movie
Fwilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 11:41 PM   #30
sfoster
IndieTalk Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fwilly View Post
I don't know if I agree with this one, I actually thought it was a pretty good movie
The notion that one of the sexiest women alive would do so poorly as a stripper, to end up homeless, is so confoundingly stupid that it is offensive and shameful. Hence it belongs here, even if there was some hilarious scene later on it doesn't change that fact.

I'm not arguing anything about the rest of the movie, because I turned it off and have better things to do with my time than watch garbage that makes me want to pull my hair out.