First timer making a short film! Need Guidance!

Hello,

I'm a photography hobbyist with more than 5 years of experience and after taking a film course at my college this semester I've been captivated to try my hand at film making and when I told this to my professor she told me that I could submit the short film I make as my final project instead of a boring essay. While I'm thrilled with this opportunity and have a tingling sensation of pure glee just thinking about showing my film to the entire class and getting feedback, I'm also a bit concerned because I have just one month to shoot and post process and add appealing music. Fortunately I have a partner who'll be working on the music and someone else who knows how to use Premiere Pro more than I do. I've also got enthusiastic actors from the Theatre department who're willing to volunteer.

I've prepared the script and laid out a detailed shot to shot descriptions of every scene. I have a Nikon D800 and think that the video capabilities are sufficient. I also have a Tamron 90mm f2.8 macro lens and a Nikon 50mm 1.8D. For a couple of scenes I might use a Nikon 70-20mm f2.8 lens that I could borrow from a friend on campus.

I've been doing some research on the settings I should shoot in and am continuously trying to visualize what the film would look if I do all the things that I'm planning to do. In my head it looks great but I'm pretty sure there are plenty of things that I haven't thought of that may come up during execution and prove challenging.

I really am grateful that I'm finally getting into a real world project, especially after being scared of the medium since there is so much I don't know, but since my grade depends on it, I want to achieve a reasonable degree of perfection.

Without further rambling, let me get to the point. I'm looking for some mentoring and support from someone who's willing to help me out on the technical stuff, preferably someone with firsthand experience in making short films. I don't think I'll have the time to make forum posts if and when something goes wrong during shooting, so I'm just trying to be prepared by getting advice that is customized for my project.

I'm willing to share the script with you and share my plan and I will wholeheartedly thank you in the end credits of the film when it's made. I know it's not much and I most certainly don't want the help of someone who's not interested in doing something like this or is looking for an incentive other than just the satisfaction of helping a budding artist.

The look I'm trying to achieve is quite cinematic with plenty of close ups, attention to detail, slow motion videos and some appropriate music. Perhaps my expectations are unrealistic given the amount of time I have. This is why I need the advice of someone who's experienced at this.

Thanks a lot for reading through this long post!

PM me if you're interested in offering guidance.

--
www.500px.com/ragavpayne

Last edited:
i wish you luck!! I am also starting to dip my hands in short films. I have just started the broadcasting program at my school so I am starting to learn a lot more than i knew from just trial and error. If you finish up a film be sure to link it so I can check it out!

No surprise coming from me...

Get the sound right!!!!!!!!!!! This starts during prepro, is especially important during production, then takes time and patience in post.

Your film will only look as good as it sounds, because
"Sound is HALF of the experience."

Look at it this way; I do audio post for a living, and I put in about six hours of work per linear minute. It will take you, being a complete audio newb, A LOT longer.

Personally, I LOVE pre-production (well, everything but location scouting) and have a pretty good system for breaking down and scheduling the script so as to maximize peace of mind.

I haven't been frequenting IT recently, but feel free to shoot me an email SatyricaFilms (at) yahoo.

Get the sound right!!!!!!!!!!! This starts during prepro, is especially important during production, then takes time and patience in post.

Look at it this way; I do audio post for a living, and I put in about six hours of work per linear minute. It will take you, being a complete audio newb, A LOT longer.

Based on critiques I have received from my work, I wholeheartedly agree with this post. I use what I consider to be reasonable quality equipment (Rode VideoMic Pro attached to a Zoom H1 attached to a boom), and I perform Post EQ, noise reduction, etc, to all of my tracks, yet I am still getting negative reviews on my audio. I only spend a couple hours per video on audio (unless I have some real issues to fix), which is probably why most aren't thinking it sounds great.

Regarding the cinematography, what I have learned so far is that camera movement goes a long way. Smooth is good, handheld looks as amateur as it is, unless that result is desired. I've been told deliberate shake by a professional is a real art. Regarding composition, you can really fall back on your photographic experience on this one. Remember rule of thirds, lighting and exposure, framing, etc. I spend a while doing photography before I started video and it's like once I hit record, I threw all of my photography knowledge out the window. Once I started framing and composing the same way I do photos, my quality has gone up a lot. Take a good movie for example, there are a lot of places you can pause at random, and you could take that image and consider it a well done photo. If that is the case, I think you've done well with the composition. That's my 2 cents on that take though. I'm only learning as I go.

Sound is one thing I took for granted when I first came up with my script since this is going to be a silent film. Silent in the sense that it has no dialogue (since I believe in delivering the story through visuals mostly) but as I thought more about it I have come to realize that for the ambient sounds in the film I just simply cannot use the built-in mic of the D800. Your reply has sort of consolidated my concerns. I might have to invest in an on camera mic.

But that's of course, half the problem. The other half is going to be hunting for music that would suit the mood of the scenes and I'm sure there are other things to look at.

Which mic would you suggest for use on a DSLR? My budget isn't hefty.

Also, if you could offer 3 points of advice on how to enhance the viewing experience through sound, what would they be?

Any filmmaking questions you have right now? Any distribution plan?

Well, primarily this is going to be for class but I will probably put it up on youtube and even though I have just a month to finish it, if it turns out as good as I think it will, I will spend more time after the deadline to further process it and perhaps just perhaps, if I get good feedback, I might submit it to festivals.

As for filmmaking questions, I do need advice on how to organize various aspects of the filmmaking process such as the sequence in which I should shoot the scenes, would it be better to look up music before shooting so that we could sync the visuals to the mood of the music or if we should get the visuals as per our current visualization and then hunt for music that would suit the visuals. I do have basic ideas of what genre the music for each scene should be and all that.

More specifically, as I stated in my original post, I am looking for customized advice from someone who's read my script. If you're interested in reading the script, just PM me.

As for filmmaking questions, I do need advice on how to organize various aspects of the filmmaking process such as the sequence in which I should shoot the scenes, would it be better to look up music before shooting so that we could sync the visuals to the mood of the music or if we should get the visuals as per our current visualization and then hunt for music that would suit the visuals. I do have basic ideas of what genre the music for each scene should be and all that.

You should get all of the shots you need in a set-up before taking everything down, and moving to another. Don't go to one location, get one shot, break everything down, go to another location, set everything up, then come back to the first location, and get another shot. Do not shoot your film in order. You/someone should always be taking pictures for continuity, especially with scenes that require blood + makeup and changes in character's clothing.

For music, you should hire a composer. Sure, there are some nice royalty free tracks, but those are often overused. An original score can do more than you think.

More specifically, as I stated in my original post, I am looking for customized advice from someone who's read my script. If you're interested in reading the script, just PM me.

PM me the script. I'll take a look at it tonight.

Also, if you could offer 3 points of advice on how to enhance the viewing experience through sound, what would they be?

I'm no pro, but here's some advice:

Don't try to boom yourself or get someone that doesn't know what they're doing. Either learn proper booming techniques, teach someone proper booming, or hire someone who knows what they're doing.

Record room tone, and make sure the levels do not peak or are too quiet.

Avoid fridges, air conditioners, and anything that hums or makes some form of noise.

Go to a location, and record audio in all of the locations you will be shooting in. Does it sound horrible? Either find another place or get ready for hours of painstaking ADR + Foley.

Back